WHY SHOULD YOU MOVE TO MALDIVES?
Did you know that Living in Maldives affordably is Absolutely possible? The Cost Of Living In Maldives makes it possible to Live For Around $1700 to $4100 per month, depending on your budget. This article explains how we and others did it and how you can too!
We’ll outline all the important details about living in the Maldives – from the cost of living in the Maldives to tips on traveling and leisure. We’ll also provide a monthly cost of living table, so you can know how much money you’ll need to save and make each month to live comfortably in the Maldives.
- Maldives is genuinely a Magical Paradise Tropical Country off the Southwest coast of the Indian continent that is 2 times cheaper than living in New York City. As we will explain, yes, you don’t have to spend the $10,000 per week as you see on social media, which is the wrong way to do it!
- The Maldives has incredible weather, world-class beaches and nature, world-class scenery, infinite adventures to go on, and an incredibly warm Maldivian culture if you live in the local islands rather than the resort islands.
- The Maldives consists of about 1,200 islands, and 200 islands are inhabited and grouped in atolls.
- Maldives is also one of the most unique countries in the world, with a beauty that’s only found uniquely in Maldives and nowhere else on the planet!
- The affordable cost of living In Maldives, With a monthly income of less than $2000 is possible to live well, and sometimes even as low as $1700 per month if you are on an extreme budget, which we will discuss later in this article. The monthly rent, food budget, housing expenses, and transportation options in Maldives are determined by your budget and spending habits, depending on how much you spend.
- Everything is covered here, from rent to food to transportation in the Maldives. This guide provides valuable tips on how to live cheaply in the Maldives. So whether you’re planning a short stay of a few months or staying long-term, You have come to the right place!
- The Maldives is a popular destination and attracts visitors from all over the globe because of its diverse nature and culture, world-class beaches, and incredible adventures throughout the Maldivian atolls.
- We’ll also discuss living expenses in the Maldives, food prices, and more. So whether you’re looking to rent or buy a property in the Maldives, we will cover everything you need.
- The average monthly cost of living in the Maldives is $1000 For the Local Natives. Expats and Digital Nomads will spend more to keep up with their living standards.
- Additionally, the islands are well-equipped with all the necessary utilities and conveniences.
- The Islands have great local food that you should try, try to eat at the local markets and supermarkets you will save a lot of money doing this.
This article will help you understand how much money you’ll need to live comfortably and inexpensively by providing an in-depth overview of the Cost Of Living In Maldives. Additionally, we’ll emphasize and explain some of the advantages of living in the Maldives and help you decide if it’s right for you!
We’ve been digital nomads for almost 4.5 years and have been traveling the globe since then, so we’ll share our experiences with you! Ready to begin your dream destination in the Maldives? Let’s do it!
Table of Contents
Cost Of Living In Maldives Summary Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare: $1700 – $4100 Per Month
The cost of living in Maldives, ranges from $1700 to $4100 per month. The cost of living in Maldives is 50% lower than in New York City, United States. With a family of four estimated monthly costs of $3,900, depending on your spending habits, it could be more or less than what is listed here.
You can reduce your monthly budget significantly with effort and solid budget planning.
Living in the Maldives is extremely affordable, and the good news is that there are a lot of affordable accommodations and food and transport options to be found anywhere in the country.
- The range of costs is from $1700 to $4100 per month, depending on your budget and your spending.
- A budget food and grocery plan will cost you around $300 to $1000 per month on average, although this figure will vary depending on your location and budget.
- Overall, a monthly budget of $1700 to $3000 is a realistic estimate for the cost of living in Maldives.
The average cost of living in Maldives will be around $2,000 a month. This includes food, housing, transportation, and a few other miscellaneous expenses. Make sure to budget for your monthly budget needs, and you’ll be good to go!
Cost of Living in Maldives Per Month Table of expenses 2023
The Cost of living table below An intensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, and Numbeo users that lived in the Maldives was used to put this together. We also go extremely deeper below this table of expenses!
$1 USD equals 15.41 Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR as of the posting of this article. This estimate is based on a Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in the Maldives per month! The Cost Of Living Per Month In Maldives is $1700 to $4100, depending on your spending habits! Here is a table of expenses for a couple living in Maldives per month:
|Average Monthly Expenses In Maldives||USD $||Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR|
|Rent (Homestay, Guesthouse, studio vs Full Private Villa) In Maldives||$700 – $3000||MVR 10,787 – MVR 46,230|
|Electricity (Including water) In Maldives||$30 – $100||MVR 462 – MVR 1,541|
|Mobile Phone (including data) In Maldives||$20 – $50||MVR 308 – MVR 770|
|Internet (WiFi) in Maldives||$20 – $50||MVR 308 – MVR 770|
|Food (groceries, dining out, partying, nightlife) in Maldives||$360 – $1000||MVR 5,547 – MVR 15,410|
|Transportation (motorbike, fuel, renting, Taxi) In Maldives||$100 – $300||MVR 1,541 – MVR 4,623|
|Healthy Activities (Gym, MMA, Yoga, Massages, etc) In Maldives||$30 – $200||MVR 462 – MVR 3,082|
|Health Insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads) In Maldives||$40 – $150||MVR 616 – MVR 2,311|
|Cost of Living In Maldives Per Month Total Expenses||$1300 – $4850||MVR 20,033 – MVR 74,738|
Cost Of Rent In Maldives In Depth
Renting a property in the Maldives can be affordable if you stick to a budget. Renting an apartment in Maldives will cost $700 for a simple apartment to $3000 or more for a luxury apartment, but it’s important to do your research beforehand. Various rentals are available, we recommend renting on Airbnb, so it’s important to find the perfect one for your needs. When budgeting, factoring in utilities, food, monthly rent, and other expenses can add up quickly.
- Renting an apartment monthly from Airbnb will be the best option if you want to live in Maldives. On average, apartments in Maldives cost $700 to $300 per month on Airbnb.
- Renting a home with two or more rooms will cost you around $2000 or more per month.
Your Biggest expense is Rent in Maldives. Unless you have a Crazy spending habit, A modest studio apartment estimated monthly cost $700 to $3000 per month, whereas a huge 2+ bedroom apartment costs $2,500+ per month or more in Maldives.
- You’ll have to choose between renting a flat, studio, 2+ bedroom apartment, sharing the rent, hostels, and guesthouses.
- To save money on food in Maldives and eat the local food places in Maldives, shop at the local supermarkets, and look for an apartment in Maldives in the surrounding areas close to local markets, local food stalls, and supermarkets. This is a fantastic tip.
- Digital Nomads in Maldives, and Expats in Maldives are just a few of the Facebook groups available. For you, Facebook groups are a fantastic resource! It is an excellent place to start.
- There are lodges, Homestays, Airbnb, Guesthouses, Studios, hostels, Couchsurfing, Bed, and breakfasts In Maldives for affordable monthly rates.
Cost Of Rent in Maldives: Monthly Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Rent and Accommodation in Maldives per month:
|Average Monthly Rent and Accommodation In Maldives||USD $||Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR|
|Studio Apartment in Maldives||$700 – $1400||MVR 10,787 – MVR 21,574|
|2 Bedroom Apartment in Maldives||$1400 – $2,300||MVR 21,574 – MVR 35,443|
|3+ Bedroom Apartment in Maldives||$2,500 – $5000+||MVR 38,525 – 70,050|
Best Cost of Flights To Maldives Tips
Did you know you can fly one way to Maldives affordably?
- If you Fly to Maldives One-Way From New York City, the cost is $492 to $600 per person. Incredibly cheap Airfare!
- If you Fly to Male, Maldives, and Gan Maldives from Europe and Asia, the costs will be from $100 to $300 per person.
You Can Check On Google Flights here!
Also, if you Have Travel Credit Card Miles and frequent Flyer miles, you can fly to Maldives For almost free!
Try searching for low-cost airlines or fly during off-peak times. If you’re determined to visit the Maldives, book your flight as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment and high costs later on!
Cost Of Transportation In Maldives
I suggest renting a scooter or Bicycle Boat monthly to explore the Maldives to their fullest potential.
Budget around $100 to $300 per month in transportation and exploring Maldives.
The public transportation system in Maldives consists of taxis, Maldivian ‘Dhoni’, Speedboat, Kayak, Bicycles, buses, scooters, and boats.
- In Maldives, public transportation mainly consists of Boats, Maldivian ‘Dhoni’, scooters, and Bicycle.
Monthly Cost Of Transportation in Maldives: Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Public Transportation in Maldives per month:
|Average Monthly Transportation Expenses in Maldives||USD $||Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR|
|Monthly Transportation Costs in Maldives||$100 – $300||MVR 1,541 – MVR 4,623|
Cost Of Food In Maldives Explained: Table of Expenses
The Most popular Maldivian dishes consist of a plate of rice, Fish, and Curry. They have rice with every meal.
Monthly Food Costs in Maldives cost $300 to $500 per month if you eat at the local food places, local markets, supermarkets, and street food, depending on your spending habits.
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Food in Maldives per month:
|Average Monthly Food Costs in Maldives||USD $||Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR|
|Local Food Markets, Street food and Local Supermarkets Per month (Budget Food Costs) in Maldives||$300 – $500||MVR 4,623 – MVR 7,705|
|Eating out at Mid range restaurants and expensive restaurants per month (No Budget) In Maldives||$800 – $1000||MVR 12,328 – MVR 15,410|
HEALTHCARE COSTS IN Maldives
Ultimately the Healthcare in Maldives is mainly in Male. You may need to fly to India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand for immediate health issues. Still, healthcare in male should be good enough for medium Health Issues or try the best privately owned Hospital most commonly used by expats.
We recommend The best travel health Insurance available by SafetyWing We always have travel insurance monthly for international trips and living abroad.
We STRONGLY suggest that you also have it, especially if you live in Maldives, and we always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $42 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable!
Best Things To Do In Maldives
Maldives is a paradise for anyone looking for a tropical escape. The best part? Enjoying all this island nation has to offer doesn’t cost a fortune. From exploring the stunning coral reefs to indulging in luxury water villas, hanging with the locals, going fishing, diving, and exploring more islands, there’s something for everyone. And, of course, no trip to the Maldives would be complete without indulging in some healthy eating. Make sure to budget wisely and choose affordable and healthy restaurants.
We will be making a full-length blog post on the best things to do in Maldives in the future. For now, check out Viator for the best things to do in Maldives. They have thousands of activities, day trips, multi-day trips, and things to do for an affordable rate! Also, below is a sample of the activities; you can click and check them out.
Main FAQS Section About Maldives:
Cost Of Accommodation in Maldives?
The Cost Of Accommodation Per Month in the Maldives costs $700 to $3000 on Airbnb.
How much does rent cost in Maldives?
The Rent In The Maldives Costs $700 to $3000 per month on Airbnb.
What is the currency of Maldives?
$1 USD equals 15.41 Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR USD/MVR
How to Live in Maldives Monthly?
Living in the Maldives can be a cost-effective option for those looking for a luxurious beachside lifestyle without breaking the bank.
To live comfortably on a monthly budget, be flexible with your expenses and prioritize the basics – food, housing, and transportation. Be aware of special deals and discounts available for tourists, and use online tools like Monthly Airbnb or VRBO to slash your costs even more.
Regarding food, stick to affordable local eateries rather than restaurants in resorts. And last but not least, ensure you’re taking advantage of the many unique Maldives islands that offer plenty of leisure activities and attractions to keep you busy all year round!
What are the monthly costs of living in Maldives?
The Average Monthly Costs of Living In The Maldives is from $1700 to $4100 per month. Maldives is a paradise for budget-conscious travelers. The cost of living in Maldives includes rent, food, drinks, and transportation.
How much should I budget each month to live in the Maldives?
You Should Budget $2100 to $3050 per month to live in The Maldives on a Solid Budget.
How much should I expect to spend each month in the Maldives?
You Should Expect to spend $2000 to $3000 per month in the Maldives.
What is the average cost of living in Maldives in 2023?
The average cost of living in Maldives in 2023 is estimated to be around USD $1,700 per month to $3000 per month.
How can I save money on groceries when living in Maldives?
Living in the Maldives can be tricky trying to save money on groceries. However, you can follow a few easy tips to help out.
1. Make a list of the groceries you often buy and stick to it. This way, you won’t be as tempted to buy unnecessary items that you’ll end up wasting money on in the long run.
2. Shop at local markets where prices are usually lower than in supermarkets. In addition, many local markets sell produce and meat in bulk, making it cheaper than buying items from supermarkets.
3. Compare prices online before going to the store, and bring your printouts with you for reference. By doing this, you can avoid spending too much money on unnecessary items.
4. Buying in bulk is also an option – purchasing fruits, vegetables, meat, etc., in large quantities can save you money in the long run.
How much does a month cost in the Maldives?
The average cost of living in the Maldives is around USD 2,000 per month.
What Is the Best time to Visit the Maldives?
best time to visit the Maldives is between October through April, outside of the monsoon season.
What is the Worst time to visit the Maldives?
The Worst time to visit the Maldives is from May through September during the Monsoon season.
Maldives: Average Salary, Minimum Wage & Mortgages
The average Maldivian citizen’s average salary is only about $500 to $1000 per month.
How much does it cost to live in Maldives?
The Estimated monthly costs for the cost of living in the Maldives is $1700 to $4100 Per month.
What Is The Rent In Maldives Per Month?
The Estimated Monthly Costs for rent in the Maldives are $700 to $3000 per month on Airbnb.
What is the Monthly Utilities In The Maldives?
Prices for basic goods and services, such as bills and utilities, are relatively low. The cost is roughly $100 – 250$ a month, based on the size of one apartment for 2 people.
Is it expensive to live in the Maldives?
The average household cost for a Family of four estimated monthly costs is $4000 (61,640 MVR). One person estimated monthly costs at $1700 US dollars (26,197 MVR). Maldives has a 50% lower cost of living compared to the U.S.
How much salary is enough in Maldives?
The Salary Needed for living in the Maldives is $2000 to $3000 per month.
We’ve summarized the cost of living in Maldives and provided a table of expenses. Additionally, we’ve included a guide on renting Airbnb’s in Maldives and tips on saving money We hope you find this blog helpful and that you make a move to Maldives in the near future for a few months! We will continually be updating this article. Also, below there are a lot of great travel resources for you for your journey to Maldives. Check it out and follow us on Social media For More!
Travel Resources and Reliable Sources For Maldives
- Travel Insurance: We always have travel insurance monthly for international trips and living abroad. We STRONGLY suggest that you also have it, just in case other digital nomads live abroad, and we always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. SafetyWing is one of the few policies covering Covid-19, and they start at $42 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable! SafetyWing is perfect for Digital Nomads and long-term travelers!
- Heath and Safety: We use the travel guides on the CDC website to research recommended precautions.
- Maldives Tourism Board Government Site
- Official Maldives Tourism Board Tourist Friendly Site
If you want to keep up with our travels, go ahead and follow us on our travel page on Instagram @onelifepassport! Comment below what else you would like to know/see about our experiences traveling the world! Also, check out our YouTube Channel!
Check out our recent blog posts:
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Fiji 2022 (Best Fiji Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost of Living In Madagascar 2022 (Best Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Dubai, UAE 2022 (Dubai, UAE Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Seychelles 2022 (Seychelles Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Mauritius 2022 (Mauritius Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In the Philippines 2022 (Best Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Singapore 2022 (Singapore Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Tahiti French Polynesia 2022 (Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Moorea French Polynesia 2022
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Bora Bora, French Polynesia 2022
- 283 Best Things to Do In Bali Indonesia (Travel Guide)
- How To Get Around Bali 2022 (Best Bali Transportation Guide)
- Cost Of Living in Bali 2022 (Best Bali Indonesia Cost Guide)