Cost of living in Malta 2023 Budget Guide
Hey Friends! The Cost Of Living In Malta makes it possible to Live For $1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. For a strict Budget vs a Luxury Budget.
Malta is a beautiful island nation located in the Mediterranean Sea, known for its rich history, stunning beaches, and warm climate. If you’re thinking of moving to Malta, one of the important factors to consider is the cost of living.
Like any other country, the cost of living in Malta depends on a variety of factors such as housing, food, transportation, and entertainment. However, compared to other European countries, Malta is relatively affordable, making it an attractive destination for expats and travelers alike.
This article will take you on a journey with Videos, a Table of expenses, Facebook Groups, Rental sites and more to explore the costs of living in Malta, from housing and transportation to food and things to do here.
With our expert analysis and practical insights, Research and personal experience in Malta, you’ll know what to expect when making the move to this unique country of Malta.
Whether you’re a digital nomad, Expat, Retiree, or just looking to experience Malta for a few months, our guide is going to help you make the most of your budget with a range of expenses estimated to cost between 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month.
Malta is a small island country located in the Mediterranean Sea that offers a unique and diverse experience for expats looking to relocate. Here are 7 reasons why you should consider moving to Malta:
- Cost of Living In Malta: The Average monthly cost of living, including rent, utilities, food, and transportation, ranges from 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. A studio apartment in the city can cost as low as $500 per month, while a one-bedroom apartment can range from $700 to $1,500 per month.
- Nature and Outdoors: Malta is a country blessed with natural beauty, from its crystal clear blue waters to its stunning landscapes. The island boasts numerous parks, gardens, and nature reserves that offer a great escape for those seeking peace and tranquility. Many hiking trails and cycling routes make it an ideal destination for nature enthusiasts.
- Rich Culture and History: Malta is a melting pot of cultures, thanks to its strategic location between Europe and Africa. Its rich history dates back to over 7,000 years, evident in its numerous historical sites, museums, and cathedrals. The country has a vibrant arts scene, with numerous festivals and cultural events throughout the year.
- Quality of Life: Malta has consistently ranked high in terms of quality of life, making it a popular destination for expats. It offers a relaxed and stress-free lifestyle, with its Mediterranean climate and laid-back culture. The country has a well-developed healthcare system, excellent education facilities, and a low crime rate, making it a safe and secure place to live.
- Beautiful Beaches and Islands: Malta is home to some of the most beautiful beaches and islands in the Mediterranean, with crystal clear waters and sandy shores. The island of Gozo is a popular destination for beach lovers, with its secluded coves and pristine beaches. The Blue Lagoon on the island of Comino is a must-visit, with its turquoise waters and stunning scenery.
- Natural Beauty: Despite its small size, Malta is a country blessed with natural beauty, from its rugged coastline to its verdant countryside. The island is home to numerous natural landmarks, such as the Azure Window and the Dingli Cliffs, which offer breathtaking views of the Mediterranean.
- Safe Country and Friendly Locals: Malta is a safe country with a low crime rate, making it a great place to live for families and individuals alike. The locals are friendly and welcoming, making it easy for expats to integrate and settle in. English is widely spoken, and the country has a diverse expat community, making it easy to find like-minded people.
Table Of Contents
Cost Of Living in Malta Quick Facts Key Takeaways
Here are some quick facts about the cost of living in Malta:
- Here’s a breakdown of some key expenses: Total Monthly Living Costs in Malta, Is 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. For all expenses, and if you budget smartly, you can expect to spend $1500 to $2500 per month for all expenses.
- Malta, is 3 times cheaper than New York City, United States.
- Living well in Malta is possible with a monthly income of around $2000.
- The monthly rent, food budget, housing expenses, and transportation options in Malta are determined by your budget.
- To maintain the same standard of life as $10,000 in New York City, an estimated $4,400 is needed in Malta.
- On average, the cost of living in Malta, is 55% lower than in New York City, United States.
- On average, rent in Malta is 55% lower than in New York City, New York, USA.
- The costs of rent in Malta range from 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. Depending on your budget.
- A budget food and grocery plan in Malta will cost around $300- $800 per month, depending on location and budget.
- An estimated monthly cost for a family of four in Malta is $3550.
- An estimated monthly cost for a single person in Malta is $1200 – 3,000.
- Transportation costs in Malta are estimated to be $40 – $1000 per month.
- Expats and digital nomads may spend more, $1500 – $3100 per month, to maintain their living standards in Malta. We spent around $1,480 – $2,860 (€1,265 – €2,355) per month for example.
Our Personal Costs of Living in Malta: Table of expenses Breakdown 2023
This Is a table of expenses of what we personally spent living as digital nomads every month in Malta. Sometimes, we spent less or more.
Here’s a breakdown of our monthly cost of living in Malta:
- Our monthly cost of rent and accommodation ranges from $700 to $1,500 (€600 to €1,300) depending on the location and size of the apartment or house.
- Utilities like electricity and water cost us between $100 and $200 (€85 to €170) each month.
- To stay active and healthy, we pay $30 to $60 (€25 to €50) per month for our gym membership.
- Our monthly cost of food and groceries is typically between $400 to $600 (€340 to €510).
- Transportation costs us around $50 to $100 (€45 to €85) each month for public transport and occasional taxi rides.
- For leisure activities and entertainment, we budget around $100 to $200 (€85 to €170) each month.
- We also pay $100 to $200 (€85 to €170) for our monthly health insurance premium.
Overall, our monthly cost of living in Malta adds up to approximately $1,480 to $2,860 (€1,265 to €2,355), depending on our lifestyle and spending habits.
Here is a table of Expenses for what we personally spent in Malta:
|Our Monthly Cost of Living In Malta||Cost (USD)||Cost (EUR)|
|Our Monthly Cost of Rent and Accommodation||$700 – $1,500||€600 – €1,300|
|Our Monthly Cost of Utilities||$100 – $200||€85 – €170|
|Our Gym Cost per month in Malta||$30 – $60||€25 – €50|
|Our Monthly Cost of Food and Groceries||$400 – $600||€340 – €510|
|Our Monthly Cost of Transportation||$50 – $100||€45 – €85|
|Our Monthly Cost of Activities, Leisure, Entertainment||$100 – $200||€85 – €170|
|Our Monthly Cost of Health Insurance||$100 – $200||€85 – €170|
|Our Monthly Cost of Living in Malta total expenses||$1,480 – $2,860||€1,265 – €2,355|
Monthly Cost of Living in Malta Summary Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare: 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month
You can live in Malta, for around $1,245 a month for all expenses on a tight budget or $4,250 a month if you want to live much more luxuriously. The Cost of living in Malta is from 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month.
You can still maintain a monthly budget and enjoy all the beautiful things Malta, offers.
The following is a breakdown of the average cost of living in Malta:
- Rent for a studio apartment in Malta ranges from $550 to $1,000 USD per month or €470 to €850 EUR per month.
- Rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Malta ranges from $700 to $1,100 USD per month or €600 to €940 EUR per month.
- Rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Malta ranges from $900 to $1,700 USD per month or €770 to €1,450 EUR per month.
- Rent for a three-bedroom apartment in Malta ranges from $1,400 to $2,500 USD per month or €1,200 to €2,140 EUR per month.
- Utilities, including electricity and water, cost around $100 to $200 USD per month or €85 to €170 EUR per month.
- A mobile phone plan with unlimited data and a SIM card costs $20 to $50 USD per month or €17 to €42 EUR per month.
- The cost of internet with wifi ranges from $25 to $50 USD per month or €21 to €42 EUR per month.
- Food expenses for groceries, dining out, partying, and nightlife in Malta ranges from $400 to $1,000 USD per month or €340 to €850 EUR per month.
- Transportation costs in Malta, including public transportation, taxis, scooters, or cars, ranges from $50 to $150 USD per month or €45 to €130 EUR per month.
- For healthy activities like gym memberships, martial arts, yoga, and massages, expect to pay $50 to $100 USD per month or €42 to €85 EUR per month.
- Health insurance options like SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare cost around $50 to $200 USD per month or €60 to €170 EUR per month.
Overall, the cost of living in Malta ranges from $1,245 to $4,250 USD per month or €1,150 to €4,000 EUR per month, depending on your lifestyle and expenses.
A great monthly budget for a single person living in Malta, is around $1500 to $3000 monthly. You can also do it for cheaper.
The costs of living in Malta, Depending on various factors and spending habits, the price may change. Others spend $6,000 or more each month for an extravagant, next-level lifestyle or even $1,200 on the strictest budget staying in hostels, couchsurfing, and smaller studio apartments, ensuring they make it work no matter what!
- Expect to spend 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. for a single person or a family living in Malta. $2000 per Month is sufficient to live on.
- Local Malta markets, Local Food trucks, Local food shops, and supermarkets are the most cost-effective and knowledgeable ways to shop and eat in Malta!
Here is a table of expenses for a couple living in Malta per month:
|Average Cost of Living In Malta||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Rent (Studio apartment)||$550 – $1,000||€470 – €850|
|Rent (1 bedroom apartment)||$700 – $1,100||€600 – €940|
|Rent (2 bedroom apartment)||$900 – $1,700||€770 – €1,450|
|Rent (3 bedroom apartment)||$1,400 – $2,500||€1,200 – €2,140|
|Utilities (electricity, water)||$100 – $200||€85 – €170|
|Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card)||$20 – $50||€17 – €42|
|Internet (wifi)||$25 – $50||€21 – €42|
|Food (groceries, dining out, Partying, nightlife)||$400 – $1,000||€340 – €850|
|Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car)||$50 – $150||€45 – €130|
|Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages)||$50 – $100||€42 – €85|
|Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare)||$50 – $200||€60 – €170|
|Cost of Living In Malta Per Month Total Expenses||$1,245 – $4,250||€1,150 – €4,000|
Cost of Living in Malta: Table of Expenses in 2023
This table of expenses will help you plan your budget for your move to Malta.
The Cost of living table below An extensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, our personal experience living Here, Locals, and Numbeo users were used to put this together.
The Exchange Rate is $1 USD is Currently equal to 0.94 EUR Currency EUR This estimate is based on a Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in Malta per Month! The Cost Of Living Per Month In Malta, is 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month or more, depending on your spending habits! Check out the Currency Converter.
Here is the Table of the monthly budget for two people living in Malta:
|Cost of Living in Malta per person||Cost in USD ($)||Cost in EUR (€)|
|Cost of living for a single person in Malta||$1,164 – $2,670||€1,000 – €2,292|
|Cost of living for a couple in Malta||$1,873 – $3,780||€1,610 – €3,240|
|Cost of living for a family of four in Malta||$3,225 – $6,150||€2,772 – €5,274|
|Average Monthly Expenses in Malta||Cost in USD ($)||Cost in EUR (€)|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$540 – $1,080||€450 – €900|
|Average monthly cost for food and groceries||$240 – $480||€200 – €400|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$200 – $400||€167 – €333|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous items||$100 – $200||€83 – €167|
|Average monthly cost for utilities||$100 – $200||€83 – €167|
|Average monthly cost for transportation||$50 – $100||€42 – €83|
|Total average monthly cost of living in Malta||$1,230 – $2,460||€1,025 – €2,050|
|Cost of Living in Malta Expenses||Cost (Monthly) in USD||Cost (Monthly) In EUR|
|Cost of Rent and Accommodation||$450 – $900||€400 – €800|
|Cost of Food and Groceries||$250 – $350||€220 – €310|
|Cost of Utilities||$120 – $150||€100 – €130|
|Cost of Public Transportation||$26 – $40||€23 – €35|
|Cost of Private Transportation||$200 – $350||€175 – €310|
|Cost of Healthcare||$60 – $150||€50 – €130|
|Cost of Entertainment||$150 – $250||€130 – €220|
|Cost of Clothing and Personal Items||$50 – $100||€44 – €88|
|Cost of Activities and Excursions||$60 – $100||€50 – €88|
Cost of Rent In Malta In-Depth Summary And Table of Expenses
The cost of accommodation in Malta is essential for many expats, retirees, digital nomads, and locals. It can vary depending on the apartment type and location you are looking for.
The cost of studio and one-bedroom apartments in Malta:
- The cost of a studio apartment in the city of Malta ranges from $600 to $1000 USD per month or €500 to €850 EUR per month,
- The cost of a studio apartment outside the city ranges from $500 to $900 USD per month or €420 to €760 EUR per month.
- The cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in the city of Malta ranges from $700 to $1200 USD per month or €590 to €1010 EUR per month,
- The cost of a 1 bedroom apartment outside the city ranges from $550 to $1000 USD per month or €460 to €840 EUR per month.
|Cost of a Studio Apartment in Malta||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Cost of a Studio apartment in the city of Malta||City||$600 – $1000||€500 – €850|
|Cost of a Studio apartment outside the city of Malta||Outside City||$500 – $900||€420 – €760|
|Cost of a 1 bedroom in the city of Malta||City||$700 – $1200||€590 – €1010|
|Cost of a 1 bedroom outside the city of Malta||Outside City||$550 – $1000||€460 – €840|
The Cost of 2 Bedroom Apartment in Malta:
- The average cost of a 2 bedroom apartment in the city of Malta is $800 – $1500 per month (€670 – €1260).
- Cost of a 2 bedroom apartment Outside the city of Malta, the average cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is $650 – $1200 per month (€550 – €1010).
|Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment in Malta||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment in the city of Malta||City||$800 – $1500||€670 – €1260|
|Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment outside the city of Malta||Outside City||$650 – $1200||€550 – €1010|
The Cost of a 3 bedroom apartment in Malta:
- Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment In the city of Malta, the average cost per month for a 3 bedroom apartment ranges from $1000 to $2000 (€840 to €1680).
- Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment Outside the city of Malta, the average cost per month for a 3 bedroom apartment ranges from $800 to $1500 (€670 to €1260).
|Cost of a 3 bedroom Apartment in Malta||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Cost of a 3 bedroom Apartment in the city of Malta||City||$1000 – $2000||€840 – €1680|
|Cost of a 3 bedroom Apartment outside the city of Malta||Outside City||$800 – $1500||€670 – €1260|
The Cost of a Luxury Apartment in Malta per month:
- Cost of a Luxury apartment in the city of Malta range from $2,000 to $5,000 per month (€1,680 to €4,200). These apartments are located in the city and offer premium amenities and features.
- If you’re looking for a luxury apartment outside of the city of Malta, expect to pay around $1,500 to $4,000 per month (€1,260 to €3,360). These apartments may be situated in quieter areas, but still offer high-end finishes and facilities.
|Cost of a Luxury apartment in Malta||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Cost of a Luxury apartment in the city of Malta||City||$2000 – $5000||€1680 – €4200|
|Cost of a Luxury apartment outside the city of Malta||Outside City||$1500 – $4000||€1260 – €3360|
Suppose you’re considering renting an apartment in Malta. In that case, your best bet is to opt for a monthly rental in person, via Facebook Marketplace, Real estate Malta rental site, Booking.com, and Airbnb.
- To save money on your rental and daily expenses, consider looking for an apartment located in a neighborhood with access to local markets, gyms, and restaurants and short walking distances and safe areas.
- You can also join Facebook groups such as “Digital Nomads in Malta” or “Expats in Malta” and Malta rental group on Facebook to connect with others and potentially find affordable rental options.
- Alternatively, consider staying at a Hostel, Airbnb, hotel monthly, homestay, guesthouse, or bed and breakfast in Malta for more affordable rates rather than a costly hotel or tourist location.
Monthly Rent in Malta: Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of rent and Accommodation in Malta per month:
|Cost of Rent in Malta||Cost per Month (USD)||Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Studio Apartment||$600 – $1,200||€510 – €1,020|
|1 Bedroom Apartment||$700 – $1,400||€590 – €1,180|
|2 Bedroom Apartment||$900 – $1,800||€760 – €1,530|
|3 Bedroom Apartment||$1,200 – $2,500||€1,020 – €2,120|
|Average Monthly Rent Expense in Malta||Average Monthly Rent in USD||Average Monthly Rent in EUR|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$800 – $1,400||€680 – €1,190|
|Average monthly rent for a 1 bedroom||$900 – $1,600||€760 – €1,360|
|Average monthly rent for a 2 bedrooms||$1,200 – $2,400||€1,020 – €2,040|
|Average monthly rent for a 3 bedrooms||$1,800 – $3,500||€1,530 – €2,980|
Here is a table of estimated costs for rent and accommodation in Malta:
|Accommodation Type in Malta||Average Monthly Cost in USD||Average Monthly Cost in EUR|
|Price of a 1 bedroom apartment in city center||$800 – $1,400||€680 – €1,190|
|Price of a 1 bedroom apartment outside city center||$600 – $1,200||€510 – €1,020|
|Price of a studio apartment in city center||$700 – $1,300||€590 – €1,100|
|Price of a studio apartment outside city center||$500 – $1,000||€425 – €850|
|Price of a shared room in city center||$300 – $500||€255 – €425|
|Price of a shared room outside city center||$250 – $450||€210 – €380|
|Price of a hotel room (3-star)||$70 – $150||€60 – €130|
|Price of a hotel room (5-star)||$150 – $400||€130 – €340|
|Price of a 2 bedroom apartment in city center||$1,000 – $2,000||€850 – €1,700|
|Price of a 2 bedroom apartment outside city center||$700 – $1,400||€590 – €1,180|
|Price of a 3 bedroom apartment in city center||$1,500 – $3,000||€1,275 – €2,550|
|Price of a 3 bedroom apartment outside city center||$1,000 – $2,000||€850 – €1,700|
|Housing Accommodation Type in Malta||Price Range per day (USD)||Price Range per day (EUR)|
|Bed & Breakfast||$50-$100||€45-€90|
Living in Malta Credible Reliable Sources
Here is a list of Government resources for Visas, Cost of living in Malta, Facebook Groups, Aprtment rental sites, Tourism Boards, and more to help you with your potential move here! I hope this helps you all as you plan your move here!
- Here is a site to find Apartment rentals on Malta Rental site and this Apartment real site for Malta, Nestpick rental site for Malta, Home To Go Malta Rental Site and Malta Expat Facebook Group
- Malta Facebook Groups: Malta Digital Nomad Facebook group to connect with other expats and locals.
- Malta Tourism Site: Malta Tourism Board and Malta Tourism Authority
- Malta Data from the World Bank and World Data and Malta Travel Data
- Malta Embassy for more information like Visas and more from Malta Embassy
Cost Of Transportation In Malta Summary and Table of expenses
Knowing your transportation options is essential if planning to move to Malta, here are your Transportation options:
- Public Bus: Malta’s public bus network covers most parts of the island, making it a convenient and affordable way to get around. Prices range from $1.50 to $2.50 USD (€1.30-€2.20 EUR) per ride.
- Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: If you’re a tourist looking to see the sights, the Hop-On Hop-Off bus is a great option. It stops at popular attractions and scenic spots around the island, and prices range from $20 to $25 USD (€17-€22 EUR) per ticket.
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available in Malta and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance. Prices typically range from $10 to $20 USD (€9-€18 EUR) per ride.
- Ride-hailing Apps: Companies like Bolt and FreeNow operate in Malta, providing an alternative to traditional taxis. Prices for ride-hailing services range from $5 to $15 USD (€4-€13 EUR) per ride.
- Car Rental: If you prefer to have your own wheels, there are many car rental companies operating in Malta. Prices range from $20 to $50 USD (€17-€44 EUR) per day, depending on the type of vehicle you choose.
- Scooter/Motorbike Rental: Scooters and motorbikes are a popular mode of transport in Malta and can be rented from various vendors. Prices range from $20 to $40 USD (€17-€35 EUR) per day.
- Bicycle Rental: For a more eco-friendly way to explore the island, bicycles are a great option. Prices range from $10 to $20 USD (€9-€18 EUR) per day and are a great way to get around areas with limited traffic.
Here is a detailed table of estimated costs for public transportation in Malta:
|Transport Option in Malta||Description||Price Range (USD)||Price Range (EUR)|
|Public Bus||Malta has a public bus network covering most parts of the island.||$1.50-$2.50||€1.30-€2.20|
|Hop-On Hop-Off Bus||This is a tourist-friendly bus service that stops at popular attractions and scenic spots.||$20-$25||€17-€22|
|Taxis||Taxis are readily available in Malta, and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance.||$10-$20 per ride||€9-€18 per ride|
|Ride-hailing Apps||Companies such as Bolt and FreeNow operate in Malta, providing an alternative to traditional taxis.||$5-$15 per ride||€4-€13 per ride|
|Car Rental||There are many car rental companies operating in Malta, offering a range of vehicles at different prices.||$20-$50 per day||€17-€44 per day|
|Scooter/Motorbike Rental||Scooters and motorbikes are a popular mode of transport in Malta, and can be rented from various vendors.||$20-$40 per day||€17-€35 per day|
|Bicycle Rental||Bicycles are a great way to explore Malta, especially in areas with limited traffic.||$10-$20 per day||€9-€18 per day|
Additionally, here are some other related expenses:
- Gasoline (1 gallon): around $4 – $7 per gallon.
|Monthly Cost Of Gas and Petrol For Scooter in Malta||Cost in USD||Cost In EUR|
|Average monthly cost for gasoline, Petrol for scooter||$30 – $100||EUR 25 – 80 EUR|
Ultimately, we recommend renting a Scooter This will give you the best experience, and you can explore Malta this way.
Cost of Food and Markets In Malta Explained: Table Of Expenses 2023
Malta is known for its high cost of living, and food expenses are no exception. The cost of food in Malta can vary depending on your lifestyle, dining preferences, and dietary restrictions. Here is a breakdown of the average monthly costs for food in Malta:
- If you stick to local food in Malta, you can expect to spend an average of $300 to $400 per month (or €250 – €335 per month) on groceries and meals.
- For mid-range restaurants in Malta, plan on spending between $20 and $40 per meal (or €17 – €34 per meal).
- Fine dining restaurants in Malta typically cost between $50 and $150 per meal (or €42 – €126 per meal).
- If you prefer to cook your own meals, groceries in Malta can cost around $200 to $300 per month (or €168 – €251 per month).
- If you want imported goods from supermarkets in Malta, expect to pay between $10 and $70 per item (or €8 – €60 per item).
- Street food in Malta can be a budget-friendly option, with meals typically costing between $4 and $8 (or €3 – €7).
- For specialty food stores in Malta, you can expect to pay around $20 to $40 (or €17 – €34).
Overall, the estimated monthly cost of food in Malta ranges from $300 to $1000 (or €270 – €960), depending on your food choices and dining preferences.
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Food in Malta per month:
|Cost Of Food In Malta||Average Monthly Cost (USD)||Average Monthly Cost (EUR)|
|Local food||$300 – $400||€250 – €335|
|Mid-range restaurants||$20 – $40 per meal||€17 – €34|
|Fine dining restaurants||$50 – $150 per meal||€42 – €126|
|Groceries||$200 – $300||€168 – €251|
|Supermarkets (imported goods)||$10 – $70 per item||€8 – €60|
|Street food||$4 – $8 per meal||€3 – €7|
|Specialty food stores||$20 – $40||€17 – €34|
|Overall Monthly Cost of Food in Malta||$300 – $1000||€270 – €960|
|Average Monthly Food Costs in Malta||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Local Food Markets, Street food and Local Supermarkets and cheaper dining options||$300 – $400||€250 – €335|
|Eating out at Mid range restaurants and expensive restaurants per month (No Budget)||$500 – $800||€420 – €670|
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly food and grocery costs in Malta:
|Monthly Food Expenses in Malta||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Average monthly cost for groceries||$200 – $300||€168 – €251|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$300 – $500||€251 – €420|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous food items||$50 – $100||€42 – €84|
|Total average monthly cost for food in Malta||$300 – $1000||€270- 960|
Here is a table of estimated costs for food and Groceries in supermarkets in Malta:
|Cost Of Food and Groceries In a Supermarket in Malta||Estimated Cost (USD)||Estimated Cost (EUR)|
|Milk (1 liter)||0.80 – 1.00||0.68 – 0.85|
|Bread (500g loaf)||0.70 – 1.00||0.60 – 0.85|
|Rice (1kg)||1.00 – 2.00||0.85 – 1.70|
|Chicken (1kg)||4.00 – 5.50||3.40 – 4.65|
|Apples (1kg)||2.00 – 2.50||1.70 – 2.13|
|Oranges (1kg)||1.80 – 2.20||1.53 – 1.87|
|Eggs (1 dozen)||2.00 – 3.00||1.70 – 2.55|
|Cheese (1kg)||8.00 – 12.00||6.80 – 10.20|
|Beef (1kg)||8.00 – 14.00||6.80 – 11.90|
|Potatoes (1kg)||0.80 – 1.20||0.68 – 1.02|
|Tomatoes (1kg)||1.00 – 1.50||0.85 – 1.28|
|Onion (1kg)||1.00 – 1.50||0.85 – 1.28|
|Water (1.5 liter bottle)||0.50 – 0.80||0.43 – 0.68|
|Soft drink (1.5 liter bottle)||1.00 – 1.50||0.85 – 1.28|
|Beer (330ml bottle)||1.00 – 1.50||0.85 – 1.28|
|Wine (mid-range bottle)||8.00 – 12.00||6.80 – 10.20|
|Fast food meal||5.00 – 8.00||4.25 – 6.80|
|Restaurant meal (mid-range)||15.00 – 30.00||12.75 – 25.50|
Cost of Utilities in Malta Summary and Table of Expenses 2023
Here is a detailed breakdown of the estimated monthly cost of utilities in Malta.
- Basic electricity and gas in Malta typically cost between $65 and $150 per month (or €55 – €130 per month).
- The cost of water in Malta usually ranges from $28 to $57 per month (or €24 – €48 per month).
- If you’re looking for broadband internet, expect to pay between $22 and $54 per month (or €19 – €46 per month) in Malta.
- Prepaid mobile phone SIM cards in Malta can cost anywhere from $6 to $17 per month (or €5 – €15 per month).
- For postpaid mobile phone plans, the monthly cost in Malta is typically between $20 and $38 (or €17 – €32 per month).
- If you want unlimited data on your mobile phone plan in Malta, you can expect to pay between $31 and $63 per month (or €26 – €53 per month).
Overall, the estimated total cost of utilities in Malta ranges from $100 to $379 per month (or €90 – €326 per month), depending on the services you choose and your level of usage.
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly utilities in Malta:
|Monthly Cost of Utilities in Malta||Estimated Monthly Cost (USD)||Estimated Monthly Cost (EUR)|
|Basic electricity/gas||$65 – $150||€55 – €130|
|Water||$28 – $57||€24 – €48|
|Internet (Broadband)||$22 – $54||€19 – €46|
|Mobile phone sim card (Prepaid)||$6 – $17||€5 – €15|
|Mobile phone plan (Postpaid)||$20 – $38||€17 – €32|
|Mobile phone plan (Unlimited data)||$31 – $63||€26 – €53|
|Total Cost of utilities in Malta||$100 – $379||€90 – €326|
Pros and Cons of Living in Malta: Is it the Right Choice for You?
Pros of living in Malta:
- Weather: Malta enjoys a warm and sunny Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and hot summers. This makes it an attractive location for those seeking a pleasant climate year-round.
- Language: English is an official language in Malta, making it easy for English speakers to communicate and navigate daily life. Maltese, the local language, is also widely spoken.
- Cost of Living: While cost of living in Malta is not as cheap as some other destinations, it is still relatively affordable. Housing and transportation costs are reasonable and food costs can be kept low by shopping at local markets.
- Culture and History: Malta has a rich cultural and historical heritage, with numerous sites and landmarks to explore. From ancient temples to Baroque architecture, Malta offers a wealth of cultural experiences.
- Natural Beauty: Malta boasts stunning natural scenery, with crystal-clear waters, scenic coastlines, and idyllic countryside. Outdoor enthusiasts will find plenty of opportunities for hiking, swimming, and exploring.
Cons of living in Malta:
- Crowding: As a small island nation, Malta can feel crowded at times. Traffic can be heavy, especially during peak tourist season, and finding parking can be a challenge.
- Limited job opportunities: While Malta’s economy is growing, job opportunities can be limited, particularly for expats. Many job openings are in the tourism and hospitality industry.
- Healthcare: While Malta’s healthcare system is generally good, it can be difficult to access specialist care. Waiting times can also be long for certain treatments.
- Noise pollution: Malta is a bustling and lively destination, with a vibrant nightlife and a lot of traffic. This can result in high levels of noise pollution, especially in urban areas.
- Public transportation: While Malta has a public transportation system, it can be unreliable and infrequent. Many locals and expats rely on personal vehicles to get around.
Overall, Malta is a beautiful and unique destination with many benefits for those looking for an affordable Mediterranean lifestyle. However, it may not be the ideal destination for everyone, particularly those seeking job opportunities or a quieter way of life.
Pros and Cons of Living in Malta Table:
|Pros of Living in Malta||Cons of Living in Malta|
|Warm and sunny weather throughout the year||High cost of living compared to other European countries|
|Safe and low crime rate||Overcrowding in urban areas during peak tourism season|
|Beautiful beaches and scenery||Traffic congestion and limited public transportation|
|Rich cultural history and architecture||Limited job opportunities in certain industries|
|English widely spoken||Limited access to certain goods and services compared to larger countries|
|High-quality healthcare system||Bureaucracy and slow administrative processes|
|Good quality of life and work-life balance||Can be difficult to integrate into local social circles and communities for non-Maltese residents|
|Accessible location for travel within Europe||Limited outdoor recreational activities due to the small size of the island|
Leisure, Activities and Things to do in Malta
If you’re looking for natural beauty, you can visit the Blue Lagoon on the island of Comino, relax on one of Malta’s many beaches, or take a boat trip to the Blue Grotto or the Dingli Cliffs.
Foodies will love trying traditional Maltese dishes like pastizzi, rabbit stew, and ftira bread. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nature, or just relaxing, Malta has something to offer everyone!
Here are the 17 things to do in Malta:
- Visit the ancient city of Mdina, also known as the Silent City.
- Explore the megalithic temples of Malta, such as the Ħaġar Qim and Mnajdra temples.
- Take a boat trip to the stunning Blue Lagoon on the island of Comino.
- Visit the Upper Barrakka Gardens in Valletta for stunning views of the Grand Harbour.
- Walk along the picturesque streets of Valletta, Malta’s capital city.
- Visit the St. John’s Co-Cathedral in Valletta, a stunning example of Baroque architecture.
- Explore the Ġgantija Temples on the island of Gozo, one of the oldest free-standing structures in the world.
- Take a tour of the underground St. Paul’s Catacombs in Rabat.
- Relax on the beaches of Golden Bay or Mellieha Bay.
- Take a boat trip to the Blue Grotto, a series of caves on the southern coast of Malta.
- Visit the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta to learn more about the history of Malta.
- Take a walk along the Dingli Cliffs for breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Visit the historic Three Cities of Vittoriosa, Senglea, and Cospicua.
- Explore the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, a prehistoric underground burial site.
- Visit the Tarxien Temples, a complex of megalithic temples dating back to 3600 BC.
- Take a tour of the Casa Rocca Piccola, a 16th-century palace in Valletta.
- Try some traditional Maltese food, such as pastizzi, rabbit stew, and ftira bread.
Healthcare Costs in Malta
Medical care in Malta is great, make sure if you need something major done to take a short flight to Germany Or UK to get your procedure done cheaper or check out the prices in Malta and see if its for you.
SafetyWing Insurance is an innovative travel insurance solution designed for travelers, digital nomads, and remote workers. Whether you’re on a gap year, working abroad, or traveling for business, SafetyWing offers a comprehensive coverage plan to keep you protected and secure during your journey.
Here are just a few reasons why you should try SafetyWing Insurance for your next trip:
- Global Coverage: SafetyWing insurance covers you anywhere in the world, including countries that many other insurance companies exclude.
- Affordable: SafetyWing offers affordable, more cost-effective insurance options than many other travel insurance plans.
- Easy to Use: With SafetyWing, you can sign up, manage your policy, and file claims all from the comfort of your phone or computer.
- Wide Range of Coverage: SafetyWing offers coverage for a variety of events, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, lost or stolen property, and more.
- 24/7 Support: SafetyWing provides 24/7 support to its customers, so you can get help when you need it, no matter where you are in the world.
We suggest you also have it, especially if you live as an expat and digital nomad in Malta. We always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $45 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable!
Main FAQS Section About Malta:
What is the monthly cost of living in Malta?
The cost of living in Malta on average, is around 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. This includes rent, food, transportation, and other costs like utilities and phone bills.
What is the Cost Of Living in Malta Vs USA?
The Cost Of Living in Malta is around 55% cheaper than living in New York City, USA, and the average monthly Cost of living in Malta is 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month. in Malta vs $5500 to $10380 per month living in New York City, United States.
What is the Cost of Accommodation in Malta?
The Cost of Accommodation in Malta costs around $500 to $4,000 per month. from a simple studio to a Luxury 3+ bedroom Condo
What is the best time of year to visit Malta?
The best time to visit Malta is during the dry season from May to September.
How Much does it cost to live in Malta?
On average, living in Malta costs around 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month.
What is the Cost of Utilities in Malta?
The Cost of Utilities in Malta Cost around $100 to $300 per month, depending on your energy consumption!
What is the Cost of Food in Malta vs USA?
The Cost Of Food in Malta is 20% cheaper than in New York, United States. Monthly Food Costs in Malta is from $300 to $800 per month.
What is the Cost Of Rent in Malta VS USA?
The Cost of Rent in Malta is 55% cheaper Than in New York, United States A 1 bedroom apartment in Malta costs $550 to $1000 per month on average, and 1 bedroom Apartment in New York City, United States, Costs over $2890 per month.
What is the Food Expenses In Malta?
The Food expenses in Malta is from $300 to $800 per month. Make sure to eat the local Food, local Food markets and supermarkets to save money.
What is the Rental Expenses In Malta?
The monthly rent for a 1-bedroom in Malta is from $550 to $1000.
What is the Expenses for a Single Person in Malta?
The Expenses for a Single Person in Malta is from 1,245 – $4,250 (€1,265 – €2,355) Per Month for all expenses.
What is the average cost of Rent In Malta?
The Average cost of rent in Malta is around $450 to $2,100 Per Month in Malta.
What is the average Cost of Transportation In Malta?
The average cost of transportation in Malta is about $2 – $30 USD per day or $40 to $700 per month, Depending if you use a Bus, Scooter, or personal car.
What is the Cost of Mobile Phone SIM and Internet Data In Malta?
The Cost of Phone Data and internet from in Malta is around $15 to $100 per month.
What is the Cost of Food in Malta?
The Cost of Food in Malta costs around $300 to $800 per month; try to eat at the local restaurants and street food for the best and cheapest food to stay on budget!
Is Malta a good place to live?
Yes, Malta regularly ranks as one of the Safest and Happiest countries in the world! but of course, you always need to watch what you are doing and keep safety of mind as you would anywhere in the world.
Is it expensive to live in Malta?
No, it is not expensive to Live in Malta you can expect to spend $1,200 to $2,000 per month if you live on a budget and don’t do tourist things. I recommend renting a studio, eating local food, renting a bicycle or scooter, and shopping at the local markets. If you do this you will save a lot of money!
What is the average salary in Malta?
The Average salary range for people working in Malta is typically from $1,000 to $2,000 per month.
What is a good salary to live in Malta?
A great Salary to live on in Malta is around $2000 – $3,000 per month. This will cover all expenses.
Cost Of Living in Malta Conclusion
We hope that you have found this blog post helpful! We went all out and summarized the cost of living in Malta and provided a table of expenses, information on rent, accommodation, food costs, videos and more from our time living there as digital nomads!
We will be continually updating this blog post! Also, below are many excellent travel resources that will help you in your Journey around the world and helping you on your journey to Malta!
Travel Resources and Reliable Sources For Malta
Check out our recent blog posts:
- COST OF LIVING In ALGARVE Portugal 2023 [Algarve Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In AZORES Portugal 2023 [AZORES Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In MADEIRA Portugal 2023 [MADEIRA Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In NICE France 2023 [NICE Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In PARIS France 2023 [PARIS Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In FRANCE 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In PORTO Portugal 2023 [PORTO Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In LISBON Portugal 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In Portugal 2023 [PORTUGAL Budget Guide]
- COST of Living in DUBROVNIK Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In SPLIT Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In ZAGREB Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In IBIZA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In Palma De Mallorca Spain [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In VALENCIA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In MADRID Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In BARCELONA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In SPAIN 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In CROATIA 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In CRETE Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In MYKONOS Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In SANTORINI Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Thessaloniki Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Athens Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Greece 2023 [BEST Expat Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In CYPRUS 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In MONACO 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In NEW ZEALAND 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Tokyo Japan 2023 [TOKYO Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In Japan 2023 [JAPAN Budget Guide]
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Bangkok Thailand 2022 (Budget Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Phuket Thailand 2023 (Budget Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Thailand 2023 (BEST Travel Guide)