Why Should You Move to Vanuatu?
Hey Friends! The Cost Of Living In Vanuatu makes it possible to Live For $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. For a strict Budget vs a Luxury Budget.
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on the cost of living in Vanuatu in the Oceania Pacific Islands Region!
This article will take you on a journey with Videos, a Table of expenses, and more to explore the costs of living in Vanuatu, from housing and transportation to food and things to do here.
With our expert analysis and practical insights and personal experience in Vanuatu, you’ll know what to expect when making the move to this unique Pacific Country.
Whether you’re a digital nomad, Expat, Retiree, or just looking to experience Vanuatu for a few months, our guide is going to help you make the most of your budget with a range of expenses estimated to cost between $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month.
Vanuatu is truly ahidden gem and one of the last almmost un touched Exotic destinations in the world in the South Pacific and Oceania region that offers a unique and unforgettable experience for those willing to explore. If you’re considering a move to Vanuatu, here are 8 reasons why you should move Here:
- Cost of Living In Vanuatu: Vanuatu is not as expensive as you might think. While the cost of living in Vanuatu is higher than in other parts of the world, it is still cheaper than in many major cities worldwide and 2.5 times cheaper than in New York and California. The Average monthly cost of living, including rent, utilities, food, and transportation, ranges from $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. A studio apartment in the city can cost as low as $500 per month, while a one-bedroom apartment can range from $700 to $1,500 per month.
- Nature and Outdoors: Vanuatu is a nature lover’s dream come true. With its lush rainforests, breathtaking waterfalls, and stunning beaches, you’ll never run out of outdoor activities to explore. From hiking to snorkeling to surfing, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
- Rich Culture and History: Vanuatu has a unique and fascinating history, with over many different languages spoken across the islands. The country’s traditional culture is still very much alive, and you’ll have the opportunity to experience traditional dance, music, and art.
- Quality of Life: Vanuatu is consistently ranked as one of the world’s happiest and most livable countries. The relaxed and laid-back lifestyle, combined with the islands’ natural beauty, makes it a great place to call home.
- Beautiful Beaches and Islands: Vanuatu is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and islands. With crystal clear waters and pristine white sand, you’ll feel like you’re living in a postcard every day.
- Natural Beauty: Vanuatu is a stunningly beautiful country with abundant natural wonders to explore. From the majestic Mount Yasur to the underwater wonderland of Million Dollar Point, there’s no shortage of awe-inspiring sights to see.
- Safe Country: Vanuatu is a very safe country to live in, with a low crime rate and friendly locals who are always willing to lend a helping hand Vanuatu Regularly ranks at the top of the happiest countries in the world Index.
- Friendly Locals: Speaking of locals, Vanuatu is known for its friendly and welcoming people. You’ll feel right at home in no time and have plenty of opportunities to make new friends and learn about the local culture.
Table of Contents
Cost Of Living in Vanuatu Quick Facts:
Here are some quick facts about the cost of living in Vanuatu:
- Here’s a breakdown of some key expenses: Total Monthly Living Costs in Vanuatu, Is $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. For all expenses, and if you budget smartly, you can expect to spend $2100 to $3500 per month for all expenses.
- Vanuatu, is 2.3 times cheaper than New York City, United States.
- Living well in Vanuatu is possible with a monthly income of around $3000.
- The monthly rent, food budget, housing expenses, and transportation options in Vanuatu are determined by your budget.
- To maintain the same standard of life as $10,000 in New York City, an estimated $4,500 is needed in Vanuatu.
- On average, the cost of living in Vanuatu, is 60% lower than in New York City, United States.
- On average, rent in Vanuatu is 60% cheaper than in New York City, New York, USA.
- The costs of rent in Vanuatu range from $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. Depending on your budget.
- A budget food and grocery plan in Vanuatu will cost around $250 – $800 per month, depending on location and budget.
- An estimated monthly cost for a family of four in Vanuatu is $3850.
- An estimated monthly cost for a single person in Vanuatu is $1,365 – 3,250.
- Transportation costs in Vanuatu are estimated to be $30 – $700 per month.
- The average monthly cost of living in Vanuatu for local natives with a good job is around $800 and for some under $800. Expats and digital nomads may spend more, $2000 – $3100 per month, to maintain their living standards in Vanuatu. We spent around $1,630 – $3,200 monthly on all expenses.
Our Personal Costs of Living in Vanuatu: Table of expenses Breakdown 2023
This Is a table of expenses of what we personally spent living as digital nomads every month in Vanuatu. Sometimes, we spent less or more.
Our Average Monthly Costs In Vanuatu, went as follows:
- Our Monthly Rent and Accommodation: Our monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Vanuatu ranges from $1000 to $1500 USD, which is equivalent to VUV 118,000 to VUV 158,400. Depending on the size of the apartment, the cost can vary.
- Our Monthly Cost of Utilities: We typically spend between $100 to $300 USD per month on utilities such as electricity and water, which is equivalent to VUV 10,560 to VUV 31,680. This may vary depending on usage and the location of the accommodation.
- Our Monthly Gym Membership: We spend $30 to $100 USD per month on gym membership, which is equivalent to VUV 3,168 to VUV 10,560. This may vary depending on the location and type of gym.
- Our Monthly Cost of Food and Groceries: Our monthly expenses for food and groceries in Vanuatu typically range from $300 to $700 USD, which is equivalent to VUV 31,680 to VUV 63,360. This includes dining out, partying, and enjoying nightlife.
- Our Monthly Cost of Transportation: Our monthly transportation expenses in Vanuatu range from $50 to $100 USD, which is equivalent to VUV 5,280 to VUV 10,560. This includes public transport, taxis, and rental scooters or cars.
- Our Monthly Cost of Activities, Leisure, and Entertainment: We typically spend $100 to $300 USD per month on activities, leisure, and entertainment in Vanuatu, which is equivalent to VUV 10,560 to VUV 31,680. This includes going to the movies, visiting tourist attractions, and other leisure activities.
- Our Monthly Cost of Health Insurance: Our monthly expenses for health insurance in Vanuatu range from $50 to $200 USD, which is equivalent to VUV 5,280 to VUV 21,120. We have opted for plans from SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare to ensure we have access to quality healthcare while living abroad.
Overall, our total monthly expenses for living in Vanuatu range from $1,630 to $3,200 USD, which is equivalent to VUV 192,040 to VUV 370,000. This estimate may vary depending on individual circumstances and lifestyle choices.
Here is a table of Expenses for what we personally spent in Vanuatu:
|Our Monthly Cost of Living In Vanuatu||Cost (USD)||Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Our Monthly Cost of Rent and Accommodation||$1000 – $1500||VUV 118,000- VUV 158,400|
|Our Monthly Cost of Utilities||$100 – $300||VUV 10,560 – VUV 31,680|
|Our Gym Cost per month in Vanuatu||$30 – $100||VUV 3,168 – VUV 10,560|
|Our Monthly Cost of Food and Groceries||$300 – $700||VUV 31,680 – VUV 63,360|
|Our Monthly Cost of Transportation||$50 – $100||VUV 5,280 – VUV 10,560|
|Our Monthly Cost of Activities, Leisure, Entertainment||$100 – $300||VUV 10,560 – VUV 31,680|
|Our Monthly Cost of Health Insurance||$50 – $200||VUV 5,280 – VUV 21,120|
|Our Monthly Cost of Living in Vanuatu total expenses||$1,630 – $3,200||VUV 192,040 – VUV 370,000|
Monthly Cost of Living in Vanuatu Summary Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare: $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month
You can live in Vanuatu, for around $1,365 a month for all expenses on a tight budget or $6,100 a month if you want to live much more luxuriously. The Cost of living in Vanuatu is from $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month.
You can still maintain a monthly budget and enjoy all the beautiful things Vanuatu, offers.
Here is a breakdown of the costs:
- Cost of Rent (studio apartment In Vanuatu): $700 – $1,980 (85,976 – 233,167 VUV). This includes a basic studio apartment with a small kitchenette and bathroom. Utilities such as electricity and water may or may not be included, so be sure to ask before signing a lease.
- Cost of Rent (1 bedroom apartment): $900 – $2,260 (110,354 – 266,495 VUV). This includes a larger apartment with a separate bedroom, living room, and bathroom. Some apartments may also come with a balcony or outdoor space.
- Cost of Rent (2 bedroom apartment): $1,400 – $2,960 (171,953 – 349,134 VUV). This includes a larger apartment with two separate bedrooms, a living room, and a bathroom. These apartments are ideal for small families or roommates.
- Cost of Rent (3 bedroom apartment): $1,800 – $3,500 (220,709 – 410,290 VUV). This includes a spacious apartment with three separate bedrooms, a living room, and two bathrooms. These apartments are ideal for larger families or groups of friends.
- Cost of Utilities (electricity, water): $100 – $300 (6,134 – 18,401 VUV). This includes basic utilities such as electricity and water. Some apartments may include these utilities in the rent, while others may require tenants to pay separately.
- Cost of Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, SIM card): $35 – $80 (4,067 – 6,134 VUV). This includes a SIM card and an unlimited data plan for your mobile phone. Some providers offer better coverage and data speeds than others, so be sure to research your options.
- Cost of Internet (WiFi): $30 – $80 (3,680 – 7,361 VUV). This includes a basic WiFi plan for your apartment. Some providers offer faster speeds or more data, but these plans may be more expensive.
- Cost of Food (groceries, dining out, partying, nightlife): $300 – $700 (36,802 – 82,505 VUV). This includes groceries for cooking at home, dining out at restaurants, and going out for drinks or dancing at nightclubs. Food prices can vary widely depending on your tastes and preferences.
- Cost of Transportation (public transport, taxi, scooter, car): $50 – $600 (6,134 – 36,802 VUV). This includes getting around town using public transportation, taking taxis, renting a scooter or bicycle, or owning a car. Transportation costs can vary widely depending on how often you need to travel and your transportation mode.
- Cost of Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages): $50 – $150 (6,134 – 18,401 VUV). This includes staying fit and healthy by joining a gym, practicing martial arts or yoga, or getting a massage. Some activities may be more expensive than others, so be sure to research your options.
- Cost of Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare): $100 – $200 (12,268 – 36,802 VUV). This includes basic health insurance coverage from providers such as SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare. Be sure to research your options and choose a plan that meets your specific needs.
Overall, the total cost of living in Vanuatu per month can range from $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV), depending on the individual’s lifestyle and preferences. It is important to note that Vanuatu has a high cost of living, especially in the cities, and travelers should plan their budget accordingly.
A great monthly budget for a single person living in Vanuatu, is around $2000 to $3200 monthly. You can also do it for cheaper.
The costs of living in Vanuatu, Depending on various factors and spending habits, the price may change. Others spend $5300 or more each month for an extravagant, next-level lifestyle or even $1500 on the strictest budget staying in hostels, couchsurfing, and smaller studio apartments, ensuring they make it work no matter what!
- Expect to spend $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. for a single person or a family living in Vanuatu. $2800 per Month is sufficient to live on.
- Local Vanuatu markets, Local Food trucks, Local food shops, and supermarkets are the most cost-effective and knowledgeable ways to shop and eat in Vanuatu!
Here is a table of expenses for a couple living in Vanuatu per month:
|Average Cost of Living In Vanuatu||Cost in USD||Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Rent (Studio apartment)||$700 – $1,980||85,976 – 233,167 VUV|
|Rent (1 bedroom apartment)||$900 – $2,260||110,354 – 266,495 VUV|
|Rent (2 bedroom apartment)||$1,400 – $2,960||171,953 – 349,134 VUV|
|Rent (3 bedroom apartment)||$1,800 – $3,500||220,709 – 410,290 VUV|
|Utilities (electricity, water)||$100 – $300||6,134 – 18,401 VUV|
|Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card)||$35 – $80||4,067 – 6,134 VUV|
|Internet (wifi)||$30 – $80||3,680 – 7,361 VUV|
|Food (groceries, dining out, Partying, nightlife)||$300 – $700||36,802 – 82,505 VUV|
|Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car)||$50 – $600||6,134 – 36,802 VUV|
|Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages)||$50 – $150||6,134 – 18,401 VUV|
|Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Medicare)||$100 – $200||12,268 – 36,802 VUV|
|Cost of Living In Vanuatu Per Month Total Expenses||$1,365 – $6,100||227,316 – 700,263 VUV|
Cost of Living in Vanuatu: Table of Expenses in 2023
This table of expenses will help you plan your budget for your move to Vanuatu.
The Cost of living table below An extensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, our personal experience living Here, Locals, and Numbeo users were used to put this together.
The Exchange Rate is $1 USD is Currently equal to 118 VUV Vatu Currency This estimate is based on a Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in Vanuatu per Month! The Cost Of Living Per Month In Vanuatu, is $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month or more, depending on your spending habits! Check out the Currency Converter.
Here is the Table of the monthly budget for two people living in Vanuatu:
|Cost of Living in Vanuatu per person||Cost in USD||Cost in VUV Vatu|
|Cost of living for a single person||$1,352 – $2,427||143,168 – 257,763|
|Cost of living for a couple||$1,950 – $2,600||206,660 – 274,300|
|Cost of living for a family of four||$3,900 – $5,200||411,320 – 549,510|
|Average Monthly Expenses in Vanuatu||Cost in USD||Cost in VUV Vatu|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$800 – $1,550||90,240 – 180,260|
|Average monthly cost for food and groceries||$300 – $600||31,740 – 70,320|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$150 – $200||15,870 – 21,160|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous items||$100 – $200||10,580 – 21,160|
|Average monthly cost for utilities||$100 – $250||11,580 – 28,870|
|Average monthly cost for transportation||$30 – $600||3,590 – 70,580|
|Total average monthly cost of living in Vanuatu||$1,480 – $3,400||170,790 – 400,710|
|Cost of Living in Vanuatu Expenses||Cost (Monthly) in USD||Cost (Monthly) In VUV Vatu|
|Cost of Rent and Accommodation in Vanuatu||$800 – $2,950||110,240 – 340,600|
|Cost of Food and Groceries in Vanuatu||$300 – $600||31,740 – 70,320|
|Cost of Utilities in Vanuatu||$100 – $250||10,580 – 29,070|
|Cost of Public Transportation in Vanuatu||$50 – $100||5,290 – 10,580|
|Cost of Private Transportation in Vanuatu||$150 – $600||15,870 – 70,320|
|Cost of Healthcare in Vanuatu||$50 – $100||5,290 – 10,580|
|Cost of Entertainment in Vanuatu||$50 – $100||5,290-10,580|
|Cost of Clothing and Personal Items in Vanuatu||$50 – $100||5,290-10,580|
|Cost of Activities and Excursions in Vanuatu||$100 – $200||10,580 – 21,160|
Cost of Rent In Vanuatu In-Depth Summary And Table of Expenses
The cost of accommodation in Vanuatu is essential for many expats, retirees, digital nomads, and locals. It can vary depending on the apartment type and location you are looking for.
The cost of studio and one-bedroom apartments in Vanuatu:
- The Cost of a Studio Apartment In the city of Vanuatu, the average monthly cost for a studio apartment ranges from $1,100 to $2,000 (equivalent to 127,823 to 255,764 VUV),
- The Cost of a Studio Apartment outside the city Of Vanuatu, you can expect to pay between $800 and $1,200 (102,508 to 153,762 VUV) per month.
- The Cost of a 1-bedroom apartment in the city of Vanuatu, the average monthly cost is between $1,100 and $3,000 (127,764 to 383,646 VUV),
- The Cost of a 1 bedroom apartment outside the city of Vanuatu, you can expect to pay between $800 and $2,000 (102,508 to 255,764 VUV) per month.
|Cost of an Apartment in Vanuatu||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (VUV Vatu)|
|Cost of a Studio in the city of Vanuatu||City||$1100 – $2000||127,823 – 255,764 VUV|
|Cost of a Studio outside the city in Vanuatu||Outside City||$800 – $1200||102,508 – 153,762 VUV|
|Cost of a 1 bedroom in the city in Vanuatu||City||$1100 – $3000||127,764 – 383,646 VUV|
|Cost of a 1 bedroom outside the city in Vanuatu||Outside City||$800 – $2000||102,508 – 255,764 VUV|
The Cost of 2 Bedroom Apartment in Vanuatu:
- The Cost of a 2 bedroom apartment In the city of Vanuatu, the cost ranges from $1,300 to $2,700 USD per month or 153,000 to 320,000 VUV per month.
- The cost of a 2 bedroom apartment Outside the city of Vanuatu ranges from $1,100 to $2,500 USD per month or 130,000 to 300,000 VUV per month.
|Cost of a 2 bedroom Apartment in Vanuatu||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (VUV Vatu)|
|Cost of a 2 bedroom in the city of Vanuatu||City||$1,300 – $2,700||153,000 – 320,000 VUV|
|Cost of a 2 bedroom outside the city of Vanuatu||Outside City||$1,100 – $2,500||130,000 – 300,000 VUV|
The Cost of a 3 bedroom apartment in Vanuatu:
- In the city of Vanuatu, a 3-bedroom apartment can cost between $1600 to $3000 per month, which is equivalent to 188,200 to 350,000 VUV. The higher end of this range will likely provide you with more luxurious accommodations.
- If you’re looking to save a bit of money, you may want to consider renting outside of the city of Vanuatu. In these areas, a 3-bedroom apartment typically costs between $1500 to $2500 per month, which is equivalent to 170,500 to 296,000 VUV. Keep in mind that you may have to sacrifice some convenience and amenities in exchange for the lower cost.
|Cost of a 3 bedroom Apartment in Vanuatu||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (VUV Vatu)|
|Cost of a 3 bedroom in the city of Vanuatu||City||$1600 – $3000||188,200 VUV – 350,000 VUV|
|Cost of a 3 bedroom outside the city of Vanuatu||Outside City||$1500 – $2500||170,500 VUV – 296,000 VUV|
The Cost of a Luxury Apartment in Vanuatu per month:
- The cost of luxury apartments in Vanuatu outside the city: Apartments in the city typically range from $2500 to $5000 per month, which converts to approximately 295,500 VUV to 590,000 VUV per month.
- The cost of Luxury apartments outside the city in Vanuatu: prices ranging from $2200 to $4000 per month, or approximately 260,000 VUV to 470,000 VUV per month.
|Cost of a Luxury Apartment in Vanuatu||Location||Average Cost per Month (USD)||Average Cost per Month (VUV Vatu)|
|Cost of a Luxury apartment in the city||City||$2500 – $5000||295,500 VUV – 590,000 VUV|
|Cost of a Luxury apartment outside the city||Outside City||$2200 – $4000||260,000 VUV – 470,000 VUV|
Suppose you’re considering renting an apartment in Vanuatu. In that case, your best bet is to opt for a monthly rental in person, via Facebook Marketplace, Real estate Vanuatu rental group on Facebook, Booking.com, and Airbnb.
- To save money on your rental and daily expenses, consider looking for an apartment located in a neighborhood with access to local markets, gyms, and restaurants and short walking distances and safe areas.
- You can also join Facebook groups such as “Digital Nomads in Vanuatu” or “Expats in Vanuatu” and Vanuatu rental groups on Facebook to connect with others and potentially find affordable rental options.
- Alternatively, consider staying at a Hostel, Airbnb, hotel monthly, homestay, guesthouse, or bed and breakfast in Vanuatu for more affordable rates rather than a costly hotel or tourist location.
Monthly Rent in Vanuatu: Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of rent and Accommodation in Vanuatu per month:
|Cost of Rent in Vanuatu||Cost per Month (USD)||Cost per Month (VUV Vatu)|
|Studio Apartment||$700 – $1500||80,000 VUV – 170,000 VUV|
|1 Bedroom Apartment||$750 – $2000||88,000 VUV – 230,000 VUV|
|2 Bedroom Apartment||$1250 – $3000||140,500 VUV – 355,000 VUV|
|3 Bedroom Apartment||$1675 – $3750||198,750 VUV – 440,500 VUV|
|Luxury Apartment||$3000 – $7500||355,000 VUV – 888,000 VUV|
|Average Monthly Rent Expense in Vanuatu||Average Monthly Rent in USD||Average Monthly Rent in VUV Vatu|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$700 – $1500||70,600 VUV – 177,200 VUV|
|Average monthly rent for a 1 bedroom||$750 – $2000||79,000 VUV – 218,000 VUV|
|Average monthly rent for a 2 bedrooms||$1250 – $2500||132,500 VUV – 265,000 VUV|
|Average monthly rent for a 3 bedrooms||$1875 – $3750||198,750 VUV – 397,500 VUV|
Here is a table of estimated costs for rent and accommodation in Vanuatu:
|Accommodation Type in Vanuatu||Average Monthly Cost in USD (range)||Average Monthly Cost in VUV Vatu (range)|
|Price of a 1 bedroom apartment in city center||$900 – $2025||94,500 – 213,187.50 VUV|
|Price of a 1 bedroom apartment outside city center||$562.50 – $1350||59,062.50 – 141,750 VUV|
|Price of a studio apartment in city center||$675 – $1575||70,875 – 165,375 VUV|
|Price of a studio apartment outside city center||$450 – $1125||47,250 – 118,125 VUV|
|Price of a shared room in city center||$300 – $600||31,500 – 63,000 VUV|
|Price of a shared room outside city center||$225 – $450||23,625 – 47,250 VUV|
|Price of a hotel room (3-star)||$50 – $375||5,750 – 39,375 VUV|
|Price of a hotel room (5-star)||$375 – $900||39,375 – 94,500 VUV|
|Price of a 2 bedroom apartment in city center||$1350 – $2925||141,750 – 306,825 VUV|
|Price of a 2 bedroom apartment outside city center||$1100 – $2025||120,000 – 213,187.50 VUV|
|Price of a 3 bedroom apartment in city center||$1800 – $4050||189,000 – 425,437.50 VUV|
|Price of a 3 bedroom apartment outside city center||$1350 – $2925||141,750 – 306,825 VUV|
|Housing Accommodation Type||Price Range per day(USD)||Price Range (VUV Vatu)|
|Hostel||$10 – $25||1,050 – 2,625 VUV|
|Budget Hotel||$25 – $50||2,625 – 5,250 VUV|
|Mid-range Hotel||$50 – $150||5,250 – 15,750 VUV|
|Luxury Hotel||$150 – $400||15,750 – 42,000 VUV|
|Vacation Rental||$50 – $300||5,250 – 31,500 VUV|
|Guest House||$20 – $75||2,100 – 7,875 VUV|
|Bed & Breakfast||$30 – $100||3,150 – 10,500 VUV|
Living in Vanuatu Credible Reliable Sources
Here is a list of Government resources for Visas, Cost of living in Vanuatu, Tourism Boards, and more to help you with your potential move here! I hope this helps you all as you plan your move here!
- Here is a site to find Apartment rentals on Vanuatu Facebook Rental group and Vanuatu Expat Facebook Group
- Vanuatu Facebook Group: Vanuatu Expat Facebook group to connect with other expats and locals.
- Vanuatu Tourism Site: Vanuatu Tourism Board and Government Department of tourism in Vanuatu
- Vanuatu Data from the World Bank and World Data and Vanuatu Travel Data
- Vanuatu Embassy for more information like Visas and more from Vanuatu Embassy
Cost Of Transportation In Vanuatu Summary and Table of expenses
The average cost a traveler spends a day on transportation while in Vanuatu, is $5 to $30 a day USD or $40 – $700 per month depending on if you use transport by Bus, ferries, have your own scooter, or rent a car or ATV four wheeler.
Here are different methods of public transport you can do in Vanuatu:
- Bus (Local): This is a good option for short trips within the city. The cost per trip is between $0.50 and $1.50 or 65 to 195 VUV.
- Bus (Long-Distance): If you want to travel between cities, this option is available at a cost of $5 to $15 per trip or 650 to 1950 VUV.
- Taxi (City): Taxis are also available for short trips within the city. The cost per trip is between $2 and $5 or 260 to 650 VUV.
- Taxi (Long-Distance): If you want to travel long distances, this option costs $50 to $100 per day or 6500 to 13000 VUV.
- Rental Car (Compact): Renting a car is a good option if you want to explore the country on your own. The cost is between $50 and $70 per day or 6500 to 9100 VUV.
- Rental Car (Luxury): If you prefer a luxury car, this option is also available at a cost of $100 to $150 per day or 13000 to 19500 VUV.
- Bicycle: Bicycles are available for free or at the cost of $5 to $10 per day or 650 to 1300 VUV.
- Scooter: Scooters are a popular option for exploring the island and can be rented for $5 to $30 per day or 650 to 3900 VUV.
- Four Wheeler, Quad Bike: If you want to explore the island off-road, you can rent a four-wheeler or quad bike for $10 to $30 per day or 1300 to 3900 VUV.
- Ferry (Inter-Island): If you want to travel between the islands, this option costs $15 to $30 per trip or 1950 to 3900 VUV.
- Domestic Flight: For quicker transportation, you can take a domestic flight for $50 to $100 per trip or 6500 to 13000 VUV.
It’s worth noting that public transportation options in Vanuatu are limited, so renting a scooter or ATV Four Wheeler might be necessary for some travelers.
Here is a detailed table of estimated costs for public transportation in Vanuatu:
|Transportation Option in Vanuatu||Average Monthly and per Trip Cost (USD)||Average Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Bus (Local)||$0.50 – $1.50 per trip||65 – 195 VUV|
|Bus (Long-Distance)||$5 – $15 per trip||650 – 1950 VUV|
|Taxi (City)||$2 – $5 per trip||260 – 650 VUV|
|Taxi (Long-Distance)||$50 – $100 per day||6500 – 13000 VUV|
|Rental Car (Compact)||$50 – $70 per day||6500 – 9100 VUV|
|Rental Car (Luxury)||$100 – $150 per day||13000 – 19500 VUV|
|Bicycle||Free or $5 – $10 per day||650 – 1300 VUV|
|Scooter||$5 – $30 per day||650 – 3900 VUV|
|Four Wheeler, Quad Bike||$10 – $30 per day||1300 – 3900 VUV|
|Ferry (Inter-Island)||$15 – $30 per trip||1950 – 3900 VUV|
|Domestic Flight||$50 – $100 per trip||6500 – 13000 VUV|
Additionally, here are some other related expenses:
- Gasoline (1 gallon): around $4 – $7 per gallon.
|Monthly Cost Of Gas and Petrol For Scooter in Vanuatu||Cost in USD||Cost In VUV Vatu|
|Average monthly cost for gasoline, Petrol for scooter||$30 – $110||3500 – 12000 VUV|
Ultimately, we recommend renting a Scooter This will give you the best experience, and you can explore Vanuatu this way.
Cost of Food and Markets In Vanuatu Explained: Table Of Expenses 2023
The average cost of food per day in Vanuatu is about $10 to $30 per day or $250 to $800 per month.
Another great option is to shop at the local markets for affordable fresh food and cook meals at home.
But if you eat at local food stalls and supermarkets around your area, you’re looking to spend around $250 or more on food per Month.
The average monthly cost of food in Vanuatu is as follows:
- Local food: If you’re looking to save money, local food is your best bet. You can expect to spend between $250 – $450 USD or 30,000 – 50,000 VUV per month on local meals at cafes and markets.
- Mid-range restaurants: If you want to dine out occasionally, mid-range restaurants will be more suitable. Meals typically cost between $15 – $30 USD or 1,800 – 3,600 VUV per dish.
- Fine dining restaurants: Fine dining restaurants offer a more upscale experience for special occasions. Prices typically range from $40 – $100 USD or 4,800 – 12,000 VUV per meal.
- Groceries: Cooking at home is generally cheaper than eating out, but it still depends on what you buy. Groceries can range from $200 – $600 USD or 24,000 – 70,000 VUV per month, depending on your preferences and dietary requirements.
- Supermarkets (imported goods): If you’re looking for imported goods, expect to pay more. Prices typically range from $10 – $40 USD or 1,100 – 4,700 VUV per item.
- Street food: For a quick, cheap meal on the go, you can find street food for $3 – $10 USD or 350 – 1,100 VUV per meal.
- Specialty food stores: If you have a specific dietary requirement or craving, specialty food stores can be a bit more expensive. Prices typically range from $20 – $50 USD or 2,400 – 6,000 VUV per item.
Overall, you can expect to spend $250 – $800 USD or 28,000 – 95,000 VUV per month on food in Vanuatu, depending on your preferences and lifestyle.
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Food in Vanuatu per month:
|Monthly Food Expense||Average Monthly Cost (USD)||Average Monthly Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Local food||$250 – $450||30,000 – 50,000 VUV|
|Mid-range restaurants||$15 – $30 per meal||1,800 – 3,600 VUV|
|Fine dining restaurants||$40 – $100 per meal||4,800 – 12,000 VUV|
|Groceries||$200 – $600||24,000 – 70,000 VUV|
|Supermarkets (imported goods)||$10 – $40 per item||1,100 – 4,700 VUV|
|Street food||$3 – $10 per meal||350 – 1,100 VUV|
|Specialty food stores||$20 – $50||2,400 – 6,000 VUV|
|Overall Monthly Cost of Food||$250 – $800||28,000 – 95,000 VUV|
|Average Monthly Food Costs in Vanuatu||Cost in USD||Cost in VUV Vatu|
|Local Food Markets, Street food and Local Supermarkets and cheaper dining options||$200 – $600||25,000 – 70,500 VUV|
|Eating out at Mid range restaurants and expensive restaurants per month (No Budget)||$500 – $1,000||62,500 – 125,000 VUV|
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly food and grocery costs in Vanuatu:
|Monthly Food Expenses in Vanuatu||Cost in USD||Cost in VUV Vatu|
|Average monthly cost for groceries||$300 – $500||34,214 – 57,024 VUV|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$100 – $300||11,405 – 34,214 VUV|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous food items||$50 – $100||5,702 – 11,405 VUV|
|Total average monthly cost for food in Vanuatu||$400 – $900||51,320 – 102,643 VUV|
Here is a table of estimated costs for food and Groceries in supermarkets in Vanuatu:
|Cost Of food and Groceries In a Supermarket||Estimated Cost (USD)||Estimated Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Milk (1 liter)||$1.60 – $2.20||200 – 275 VUV|
|Bread (500g loaf)||$1.50 – $2.00||190 – 250 VUV|
|Rice (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.50||310 – 560 VUV|
|Chicken (1kg)||$4.50 – $7.50||560 – 930 VUV|
|Apples (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.00||310 – 500 VUV|
|Oranges (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.00||310 – 500 VUV|
|Eggs (1 dozen)||$2.00 – $3.50||250 – 440 VUV|
|Cheese (1kg)||$8.00 – $12.00||990 – 1480 VUV|
|Beef (1kg)||$7.00 – $12.00||870 – 1480 VUV|
|Potatoes (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.00||310 – 500 VUV|
|Tomatoes (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.00||310 – 500 VUV|
|Onion (1kg)||$2.50 – $4.00||310 – 500 VUV|
|Water (1.5 liter bottle)||$1.00 – $1.50||125 – 185 VUV|
|Soft drink (1.5 liter bottle)||$1.50 – $2.00||185 – 250 VUV|
|Beer (330ml bottle)||$1.50 – $2.50||185 – 310 VUV|
|Wine (mid-range bottle)||$10.00 – $15.00||1240 – 1860 VUV|
|Fast food meal||$5.00 – $8.00||620 – 990 VUV|
|Restaurant meal (mid-range)||$15.00 – $25.00||1860 – 3100 VUV|
Here is a table of some popular local food in Vanuatu:
|Local and Traditional Vanuatu Food||Description||Estimated Cost (USD)||Estimated Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Lap Lap||Root vegetables (taro, yams, manioc) cooked in coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaves, and baked in an earth oven.||$2 – $6||215 – 645 VUV|
|Tuluk||Reef fish wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in an earth oven.||$3 – $8||320 – 860 VUV|
|Palusami||Taro leaves baked in coconut cream.||$2 – $6||215 – 645 VUV|
|Coconut Crab||One of the largest land crabs in the world, found in the Pacific islands, and cooked in various ways.||$5 – $25 per kg||700 – 2,685 VUV per kg|
|Bougna||A dish made with meat or fish, root vegetables, coconut milk, and wrapped in banana leaves, then cooked in an earth oven.||$10 – $25||1075 – 2685 VUV|
|Nalot||Sea grapes, a type of seaweed found in Vanuatu, eaten as a snack or in salads.||$2 – $5||215 – 535 VUV|
|Lap Lap Banana||A variation of lap lap made with mashed banana.||$2 – $6||215 – 645 VUV|
|Lu Lu||Dumplings made with taro, cassava, or yams, and served with coconut cream.||$2 – $5||215 – 535 VUV|
Cost of Utilities in Vanuatu Summary and Table of Expenses 2023
The cost of utilities in Vanuatu can vary significantly depending on the location and the individual’s energy consumption habits:
- Basic electricity/gas: The estimated monthly cost for basic electricity and gas in Vanuatu is between $80 – $150 USD or 9,200 – 17,350 VUV. This cost may vary depending on factors such as the size of your home or apartment, the number of appliances you use, and your overall energy consumption.
- Water: The estimated monthly cost for water in Vanuatu is between $10 – $20 USD or 1,050-2,100 VUV. This cost may vary depending on the amount of water you use, whether you have a garden or lawn that requires watering, and other factors.
- Internet (Broadband): The estimated monthly cost for broadband internet in Vanuatu is between $50 – $80 USD or 5,250-8,400 VUV. This cost may vary depending on the internet service provider you choose, the internet speed you require, and the type of package you opt for.
- Mobile phone sim card (Prepaid): The estimated monthly cost for a prepaid mobile phone sim card in Vanuatu is between $1 – $5 USD or 105-525 VUV. This cost may vary depending on your chosen mobile network and the data and call time you need.
- Mobile phone plan (Postpaid): The estimated monthly cost for a postpaid mobile phone plan in Vanuatu is between $25 – $50 USD or 2,625-5,250 VUV. This cost may vary depending on your chosen mobile network and your needed data and call time.
- Mobile phone plan (Unlimited data): The estimated monthly cost for an unlimited data mobile phone plan in Vanuatu is between $50 – $70 USD or 5,250-7,350 VUV. This cost may vary depending on your chosen mobile network and your needed data and call time.
Overall, the estimated monthly cost for utilities in Vanuatu, including basic electricity/gas, water, internet, and mobile phone services, is between $120 – $300 USD or 14,080-34,975 VUV.
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly utilities in Vanuatu:
|Monthly Cost of Utilities in Vanuatu||Estimated Monthly Cost (USD)||Estimated Monthly Cost (VUV Vatu)|
|Basic electricity/gas||$80 – $150||9,200 – 17,350 VUV|
|Water||$10 – $20||1,050-2,100 VUV|
|Internet (Broadband)||$50 – $80||5,250-8,400 VUV|
|Mobile phone sim card (Prepaid)||$1 – $5||105-525 VUV|
|Mobile phone plan (Postpaid)||$25 – $50||2,625-5,250 VUV|
|Mobile phone plan (Unlimited data)||$50 – $70||5,250-7,350 VUV|
|Cost of utilities In Vanuatu Total Cost||$120 – $300||14,080-34,975 VUV|
Pros and Cons of Living in Vanuatu: Is it the Right Choice for You?
Living in Vanuatu: Pros and Cons:
Vanuatu is an island nation located in the South Pacific that is known for its stunning natural beauty, friendly locals, and laid-back lifestyle. While it may seem like paradise and it is, there are both pros and cons to living in Vanuatu as with anywhere in the world. In this section we will explore the Pros, advantages and Cons, disadvantages of living in Vanuatu.
Pros of Living in Vanuatu:
- Natural beauty: Vanuatu is known for its stunning natural beauty, including crystal-clear waters, white sand beaches, lush rainforests, and volcanoes.
- Friendly locals and safety: Vanuatu is a safe country, and locals are known for their friendly and welcoming nature. Crime rates are low, and it constantly ranks as one of the happiest and safest countries in the world.
- Relaxed lifestyle: Vanuatu has a relaxed lifestyle, with a slower pace of life.
- Rich culture and history: Vanuatu has a rich cultural heritage, with many traditional customs and practices still practiced by the locals.
- Affordable cost of living: The cost of living in Vanuatu is relatively low compared to many other countries, making it an attractive option for those seeking a more affordable lifestyle than New York City.
- Amazing weather and climate: Vanuatu enjoys a tropical climate with warm temperatures year-round and beautiful Weather.
Cons of Living in Vanuatu:
- Far from the rest of the world: Vanuatu is a remote island nation, which can make it difficult and expensive to travel to other parts of the world.
- Cyclones and natural disasters: Vanuatu is located in a cyclone-prone region, and the country is also susceptible to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
- Limited infrastructure: While Vanuatu has basic infrastructure, it is limited compared to more developed countries.
- Medical facilities: While Vanuatu has some medical facilities, they are limited in terms of equipment and expertise. Serious medical issues may require evacuation to another country like Australia or New Zealand.
- Limited transportation: With limited public transportation options, getting around Vanuatu can be challenging.
- Slower-paced lifestyle: While the relaxed lifestyle in Vanuatu can be a pro for some, it can also be a con for others who prefer a more fast-paced lifestyle with more amenities.
Pros and Cons of Living in Vanuatu Table:
|Pros of Living In Vanuatu||Cons of Living In Vanuatu|
|Natural Beauty||Far From the Rest Of the World|
|Friendly Locals and Safety||Cyclones and Natural Disasters|
|Relaxed Lifestyle||Limited Infrastructure|
|Rich Culture and History||Medical Facilities|
|Affordable Cost of Living||Limited Transportation|
|Amazing Weather and Climate||Slower paced Lifestyle|
Leisure, Activities and Things to do in Vanuatu
Vanuatu is a beautiful archipelago located in the South Pacific Ocean, known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and unique cultural heritage. With over 80 islands to explore, there’s no shortage of things to do in Vanuatu.
Here are the 17 things to do in Vanuatu:
- Visit the active volcano Mount Yasur on Tanna Island
- Explore the stunning Champagne Beach on Espiritu Santo
- Take a dip in the beautiful blue waters of the Blue Lagoon
- Visit the cultural center and museum of Ekasup Village
- Go snorkeling or scuba diving in the coral reefs
- Visit the Mele Cascades waterfall on Efate Island
- Take a guided tour of the Secret Garden, a botanical garden featuring local flora and fauna
- Experience a traditional kava ceremony
- Go horseback riding on the beach
- Take a scenic helicopter tour of the islands
- Explore the Port Vila market for fresh produce and local crafts
- Visit the WWII history museum on Espiritu Santo
- Take a boat tour of the islands and beaches
- Hike to the top of Mount Yasur on Tanna Island
- Visit the Hawksbill Turtle Sanctuary on Moso Island
- Go on a jungle zipline adventure
- Relax on the white sand beaches and soak up the sun.
For more things to do In Vanuatu Checkout Viator Here for 1000s of activities and guided tours!
Healthcare Costs in Vanuatu
Medical care in Vanuatu is average at best, make sure if you need something major done to take a short flight to Australia or New Zealand.
SafetyWing Insurance is an innovative travel insurance solution designed for travelers, digital nomads, and remote workers. Whether you’re on a gap year, working abroad, or traveling for business, SafetyWing offers a comprehensive coverage plan to keep you protected and secure during your journey.
Here are just a few reasons why you should try SafetyWing Insurance for your next trip:
- Global Coverage: SafetyWing insurance covers you anywhere in the world, including countries that many other insurance companies exclude.
- Affordable: SafetyWing offers affordable insurance options that are more cost-effective than many other travel insurance plans.
- Easy to Use: With SafetyWing, you can sign up, manage your policy, and file claims all from the comfort of your phone or computer.
- Wide Range of Coverage: SafetyWing offers coverage for a variety of events, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, lost or stolen property, and more.
- 24/7 Support: SafetyWing provides 24/7 support to its customers, so you can get help when you need it, no matter where you are in the world.
We suggest you also have it, especially if you live as an expat and digital nomad in Vanuatu. We always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $42 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable!
Main FAQS Section About Vanuatu:
What is the monthly cost of living in Vanuatu?
The cost of living in Vanuatu on average, is around $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. This includes rent, food, transportation, and other costs like utilities and phone bills.
What is the Cost Of Living in Vanuatu Vs USA?
The Cost Of Living in Vanuatu is around 60% less than living in New York City, USA, and the average monthly Cost of living in Vanuatu is $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month. in Vanuatu vs $5500 to $10370 per month living in New York City, United States.
What is the Cost of Accommodation in Vanuatu?
The Cost of Accommodation in Vanuatu costs around $500 to $4000 per month. from a simple studio to a Luxury 3+ bedroom Condo
What is the best time of year to visit Vanuatu?
The best time to visit Vanuatu is during the dry season from April to October.
How Much does it cost to live in Vanuatu?
On average, living in Vanuatu costs around $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month.
What is the Cost of Utilities in Vanuatu?
The Cost of Utilities in Vanuatu Cost around $120 to $300 per month, depending on your energy consumption!
What is the Cost of Food in Vanuatu vs USA?
The Cost Of Food in Vanuatu is 30% less than in New York, United States. Monthly Food Costs in Vanuatu is from $250 to $800 per month.
What is the Cost Of Rent in Vanuatu VS USA?
The Cost of Rent in Vanuatu is 60% less Than in New York, United States A 1 bedroom apartment in Vanuatu costs $700 to $2200 per month on average, and 1 bedroom Apartment in New York City, United States, Costs over $2894 per month.
What is the Food Expenses In Vanuatu?
The Food expenses in Vanuatu is from $250 to $800 per month. Make sure to eat the local Food, local Food markets and supermarkets to save money.
What is the Rental Expenses In Vanuatu?
The monthly rent for a 1-bedroom in Vanuatu is from $700 to $1500.
What is the Expenses for a Single Person in Vanuatu?
The Expenses for a Single Person in Vanuatu is from $1,365 – $6,100 (227,316 – 700,263 VUV) Per Month for all expenses.
What is the average cost of Rent In Vanuatu?
The Average cost of rent in Vanuatu is around $500 to $3100 Per Month in Vanuatu.
What is the average Cost of Transportation In Vanuatu?
The average cost of transportation in Vanuatu is about $5 – $30 USD per day or $30 to $700 per month, Depending if you use a Bus, Scooter, Quad Bike ATV or personal car.
What is the Cost of Mobile Phone SIM and Internet Data In Vanuatu?
The Cost of Phone Data and internet from in Vanuatu is around $25 to $120 per month and the phone plan provider is called Digicel.
What is the Cost of Food in Vanuatu?
The Cost of Food in Vanuatu costs around $250 to $800 per month; try to eat at the local restaurants and street food for the best and cheapest food to stay on budget!
Is Vanuatu a good place to live?
Yes, Vanuatu regularly ranks as one of the Safest and Happiest countries in the world! but of course, you always need to watch what you are doing and keep safety top of mind as you would anywhere in the world.
Is it expensive to live in Vanuatu?
No, it isn’t expensive to Live in Vanuatu you can expect to spend $1,300 to $3000 per month if you live on a budget and don’t do tourist things. I recommend renting a studio, eating local food, renting a bicycle or scooter, and shopping at the local markets. If you do this you will save a lot of money!
What is the average salary in Vanuatu?
The Average salary range for people working in Vanuatu is typically from $800 to $1000 per month.
What is a good salary to live in Vanuatu?
A great Salary to live on in Vanuatu is around $3000 – $4000 per month. This will cover all expenses.
Cost Of Living in Vanuatu Conclusion
We hope that you have found this blog post helpful! We have summarized the cost of living in Vanuatu and provided a table of expenses, provided information on rent, accommodation, food costs, videos and more from our time living there as digital nomads!
We will be continually updating this blog post! Also, below are many excellent travel resources that will help you in your Journey around the world and helping you on your journey to Vanuatu!
Travel Resources and Reliable Sources For Vanuatu
Check out our recent blog posts:
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In TONGA 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living in New Caledonia 2023 [Noumea Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Papua New Guinea 2023 [Monthly Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In Palau 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST of Living In GUAM 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In AUCKLAND New Zealand 2023 [Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In NEW ZEALAND 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Tokyo Japan 2023 [TOKYO Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In Japan 2023 [JAPAN Budget Guide]
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Bangkok Thailand 2022 (Budget Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Phuket Thailand 2023 (Budget Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living in Thailand 2023 (BEST Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Fiji 2023 (Best Fiji Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In the Philippines 2023 (Best Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Singapore 2023 (Singapore Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Tahiti French Polynesia 2023 (Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Bora Bora, French Polynesia 2023
- Cost Of Living in Bali 2023 (Best Bali Indonesia Cost Guide)
- One Life Passport LinkedIn
- Authors LinkedIn
- Follow Our Google News Publication
- Follow us on Flipboard