Why Should You Move To Fiji?
Did you know that you can Live in the Fiji Islands Affordably? The Cost Of Living In Fiji makes it possible to Live For Around $1600 to $3800 per month, depending on your budget. This article explains how we and others did it and how you can Live in Fiji to we also included a few videos that will help you give context as well!
We’ll explain all the important details about living in the Fiji Islands – from the cost of living in Fiji to tips on traveling the islands and renting an apartment monthly. We’ll also provide a monthly cost of living in Fiji table, so you can know how much money you’ll need to make each month to live comfortably in the Fiji Islands So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
- There are many reasons to move to Fiji, and the warm climate and crystal clear water are just a few of them. The islands have a rich cultural heritage still being preserved today, making it a great place to raise a family. To give you an idea of what moving would cost, here’s a breakdown of some key expenses: Total Monthly Living Costs in Fiji Is $1600 to $3800 Per Month For all expenses.
- Fiji is a unique Magical Paradise Tropical Country in the middle of the Pacific ocean. that is 2 times cheaper than living in New York City, United States. As we will explain, yes, you don’t have to spend the $8,000 per week vacations you see on social media. This is the wrong way to do it!
- Fiji has beautiful world-class weather, some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and nature, world-class scenery, infinite adventures to make, and incredibly unique Fijian culture. If you live on the local islands rather than the resort islands, we recommend you always live on the local islands. It is genuine and cheaper, and you get an actual glimpse into everyday life in Fiji.
- Fiji consists of about 330 islands, and about 100 islands are inhabited.
- Fiji is also one of the most unique countries in the world, with a beauty and culture that’s only found uniquely in Fiji and nowhere else on the planet!
- Fiji has a unique history of warriors and tribal history, and ocean navigational expertise for thousands of years.
- The affordable cost of living In Fiji islands, With a monthly income of less than $2000 is possible to live well, and sometimes even as low as $1600 per month if you are on a tight, extreme budget, which we will discuss later in this article. The monthly rent in Fiji, food budget, housing expenses, and transportation options in the Fiji islands are determined by your budget and spending habits, depending on how much you spend.
- Everything is covered here, from rent to food to transportation in Fiji. This guide provides valuable tips on how to live cheaply in the Fiji Islands, whether you’re planning a short or long-term stay.
- The Fiji islands are a popular top luxurious destination. They attract visitors and travelers worldwide because of their diverse nature and culture, world-class beaches, and incredible adventures throughout the Fijian Islands.
- We’ll also discuss living expenses in Fiji, food prices, and more. So whether you’re looking to rent or buy a property in Fiji, we will cover everything you need.
- The average monthly cost of living in Fiji is $959 For the Local Natives. Expats and Digital Nomads will spend more to keep up with their living standards of around $2000 per month Living in Fiji.
- Additionally, the islands are well-equipped with all the necessary utilities and conveniences.
- The Islands have great local food that you should try, which is another tip to save money. While living in Fiji, try to eat at the local markets and supermarkets. You will save a lot of money doing this.
This article will help you understand how much money you’ll need to live comfortably and inexpensively by providing an in-depth overview of the Cost Of Living In Fiji. Additionally, we’ll emphasize and explain some of the advantages of living in Fiji, help you decide if it’s right for you, and help you save money on a budget every month!
We’ve been digital nomads for almost 4.5 years and have been traveling the globe since then, so we’ll share our experiences with you! Ready to begin your dream living destination in the Fiji Islands? Let’s do it!
Table Of Contents
FAQS About Fiji
Moving to Fiji is an incredible decision. Before you pack your bags and move, it’s essential to understand the cost of living in Fiji. This includes rental prices, food, transportation, and more.
Keep reading for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about living in Fiji. Do you need to bring your own vehicle? The answer is no, as plenty of public transportation options are available, and you can rent your scooter or bicycle. Is health care included in the monthly cost of living?
Health care is included in the monthly cost of living in Fiji.
The most common questions asked about Fiji are:
- How much does it cost to live in Fiji?
- What is the true cost of living in Fiji?
- How can I live in Fiji long-term?
- Why is Fiji so popular?
- How to Get around Fiji?
- Transportation in Fiji
- What food to eat in Fiji?
- Where are the Best Places to Stay In Fiji?
- Do I Need Travel Insurance In Fiji?
- And a lot more.
These questions make these very complex questions to answer because it depends on many things!
- Do you like to party often, eat out and drink alcohol daily or weekly?
- How will you get around Fiji? By Boat, walking, scooter, bicycle, Car, or Public transport?
- Will you cook, eat local food, or often eat out at expensive restaurants?
- Are you ok with a simple hostel or 1 or 2-bedroom apartment for $700-$2500 a month, or do you want to stay in an extravagant villa for $900 a night?
- Are you willing to learn how to live cheaply and maximize everything you can to stay within your budget but have everything you need to explore for months and enjoy more of what Fiji and Fiji offer?
You’ll be able to estimate how much it would cost to live in Fiji based on your spending habits. Throughout this comprehensive article, we’ll do our best to answer all your questions and help you understand the entire cost of living in Fiji.
These are estimates based on our experiences as digital nomads, Expats and the numbers from Numbeo and our own experience.
Fiji’s cost of living will fluctuate depending on how you choose to live. You may spend less than what’s indicated here, or you may spend much more.
However, when creating a budget for living in Fiji, this article will provide you with the necessary information to live an extraordinary life in Fiji.
Estimated Monthly Cost of Living in Fiji Summary Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare: $1800 – $3800 Per Month
The cost of living in Fiji ranges from $1600 to $3800 per month. The cost of living in Fiji is 52% lower than in New York City, United States. With a family of four estimated monthly costs of $4,000, depending on your spending habits, it could be more or less than what is listed here.
You can reduce your monthly budget significantly with effort and solid budget planning and eating local food, shopping at the supermarkets, and renting on Airbnb monthly or finding a cheaper apartment locally.
Living in Fiji is extremely affordable, and the good news is that there are a lot of affordable rent and accommodations and food and transport options to be found anywhere in the country.
- The range of costs is from $1600 to $3800 + per month, depending on your budget and your spending habits.
- A budget food and grocery plan will cost you around $300 to $600 per month on average, although this figure will vary depending on your location and budget.
- Overall, a monthly budget of $1600 to $3000 is a realistic estimate for the cost of living in the Fiji Islands. You should re-evaluate your budget and spending habits if you spend above that.
- A family of four estimated monthly costs is $3500.
- A single person estimated monthly costs is $1,300 to $2000.
- On average, the cost of living in Fiji is 50.79% lower than in the United States.
- Rent in Fiji is, on average, 40% lower than in the United States.
Estimated Monthly Cost Of Living In Fiji: Table of Expenses 2023
The Cost of living in Fiji table below An intensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, and Numbeo users that lived in the Fiji islands was used to put this together. We also go extremely deeper below this table of expenses!
$1 USD equals 2.23 Fijian Dollar. This estimate is based on an extremely Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in Fiji per month! The Cost Of Living Per Month In Fiji is $1600 to $3800, depending on your spending habits! Here is a table of expenses for a couple living in Fiji per month:
|Average Monthly Expenses In Fiji||USD $||Fijian Dollar FJD USD/FJD|
|Rent (Homestay, Guesthouse, studio vs 2+ bedroom Apartment) In Fiji||$700 – $2000||FJD 1561 – FJD 4460|
|Electricity and Utilities (Including water) In Fiji||$30 – $100||FJD 66 – FJD 223|
|Mobile Phone (including data, Prepaid phone plan) In Fiji||$20 – $50||FJD 44 – FJD 111|
|Internet (WiFi) in Fiji||$20 – $50||FJD 44 – FJD 111|
|Food (groceries, dining out, partying, nightlife) in Fiji||$300 – $750||FJD 669 – FJD 1672|
|Transportation (motorbike, fuel, renting scooter, Taxi, buses) In Fiji||$100 – $200||FJD 223 – FJD 446|
|Healthy Activities (Gym, MMA, Yoga, Massages, etc) In Fiji||$30 – $200||FJD 66 – FJD 446|
|Health Insurance and travel insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads) In Fiji||$40 – $150||FJD 88 – FJD 334|
|Cost of Living In Fiji Per Month Total Expenses||$1240 – $3500||FJD 2765 – FJD 7805|
While these figures may not be 100% accurate for every person, they will give you a good approximation of what’s expected. Remember to adjust them as necessary according to your budget and needs!
Cost Of Rent in Fiji Summary
The Cost of Renting a property in Fiji can be affordable if you stick to a structured budget. Renting an apartment in Fiji will cost $700 for a simple apartment to $3000 or more for a luxury apartment. Still, it’s important to research beforehand to ensure you are getting the best value for your money. Various rentals are available.
We recommend renting on Airbnb. It is a highly streamlined process, faster than going through a rental agency.
- Renting an apartment monthly from Airbnb will be the best option if you want to live in Fiji on a budget. On average, apartments in Fiji cost $700 to $3000 per month on Airbnb.
- Renting a home with two or more rooms will cost you around $2000 or more per month.
Your Biggest expense is Rent in Fiji. Unless you have a Crazy spending habit, A modest studio apartment estimated monthly cost $700 to $1500 per month, whereas a huge 2+ bedroom apartment costs $2000+ per month or more in Fiji.
- You’ll have to choose between renting a flat, studio, 2+ bedroom apartment, sharing the rent, hostels, guesthouses, bed and breakfasts, and Couchsurfing.
- To save money on total expenses, eat at the local food places in Fiji, shop at the local supermarkets, and look for an apartment in Fiji in the surrounding areas close to local markets, local food stalls, and supermarkets, or local transportation areas. This is a fantastic tip.
- Digital Nomads in Fiji and Expats in Fiji are just a few of the Facebook groups available For you. Facebook groups are a fantastic resource! It is an excellent place to start.
When finding accommodation in Fiji, it’s important to do your research. The cost of rent can vary greatly depending on where you decide to live. In general, central areas are more expensive than suburbs or rural areas.
Monthly Cost Of Rent and Accommodation in Fiji: Table Of Expenses 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Rent and Accommodation in Fiji per month:
|Average Monthly Rent and Accommodation In Fiji||USD $||Fijian Dollar FDJ USD/FDJ|
|Studio Apartment in Fiji||$700 – $1500||FDJ 1561 – FDJ 3345|
|2 Bedroom Apartment in Fiji||$1000 – $2000||FDJ 2230 – FDJ 4460|
|3+ Bedroom Apartment in Fiji||$2000 – $3000$||FDJ 4460 – FDJ 6690|
Best Cost of Flights To Fiji Tips
Did you know you can fly one way to Fiji affordably? This is How:
- If you Fly to Fiji One-Way From New York City, the cost is $900 per person. But this goes down very soon will update this.
- If you Fly to Fiji from Australia, the costs will be from $300 to $500 per person.
- You Can Check On Google Flights here!
- Also, if you Have Travel Credit Card Miles and frequent Flyer miles, you can fly to Fiji For almost free!
- Try searching for low-cost airlines or fly during off-peak times or off season. If you’re determined to visit Fiji, book your flight as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment and high costs later on!
Cost Of Transportation in Fiji Explained
I suggest renting a scooter or Bicycle or paying for a monthly bus pass to explore Fiji to its fullest potential. Also, ferries are a great way to get around, even better if you take your scooter on the ferry. Budget about $100 to $300 per month in transportation and exploring Fiji.
The public transportation system in Fiji consists of mainly 14 transportation options:
- Public buses try to get the monthly pass. The Fiji public buses are the most popular options in Fiji
- Try to rent a scooter monthly
- Carrier Vans
- Tour Buses
- Local Fijian Taxis
- Hire a private driver
- Rent a car. This is the most expensive
- Use Ferries and take your rented scooter on it to explore different islands
- Cargo boats or ships
- use Water taxis
- Domestic flights to other islands
- Chartered seaplanes which is extremely expensive
- Chartered helicopters are costly
- Use a kayak to get around the island
Monthly Cost Of Transportation in Fiji: Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Public Transportation in Fiji per month:
|Average Monthly Transportation Expenses in Fiji||USD $||Fijian Dollar FDJ USD/FDJ|
|Monthly Transportation Costs in Fiji||$100 – $300||FDJ 223 – FDJ 669|
|One Way Bus Ticket in Fiji||$.50 – $2||FDJ 1.11 – FDJ 4.5|
|Monthly Bus ticket pass depending on distance in Fiji||$20 – $50||FDJ 44 – FDJ 111|
|Taxi Rides Depending on distance per mile in Fiji||$.75 – $2+||FDJ 1.67 – FDJ 4.46|
Cost Of Food In Fiji Explained: Monthly Table of Expenses 2023
Monthly Food Costs in Fiji cost $300 to $750 per month. You can save money if you eat at local food places, local markets, supermarkets, and street food. We recommend this, or you will spend way too much at tourist food spots daily, which will cost you a lot!
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Food in Fiji per month:
|Average Monthly Food Costs in Fiji||USD $||Fijian Dollar FDJ USD/FDJ|
|Local Food Markets, Street food and Local Supermarkets Per month (Budget Food Costs) in Fiji||$300 – $750||FDJ 669 – FDJ 1,672|
|Eating out at Mid range restaurants and expensive restaurants per month (No Budget) In Fiji||$800 – $1000 +||FDJ 1,784 – FDJ 2,230|
Healthcare Costs in Fiji
Healthcare in The capital of Fiji is fairly good, with many doctors that studied in the USA, UK, and Australia. I recommend researching the best hospitals for expats in Fiji or flying to Australia or New Zealand for major medical needs!
We recommend The best travel health Insurance available by SafetyWing We always have travel insurance monthly for international trips and living abroad. It covers any health or medical procedure done.
We STRONGLY suggest that you also have it, especially if you live in Fiji as an expat, and we always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $42 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable!
Best Things To Do In Fiji
When planning your trip to Fiji, visit some of the best things to do in the island country. Fiji has over 330 different islands, and The Yasawa Islands are a top priority, as they offer stunning views and plenty of activities to enjoy. Fijian culture and wildlife are popular tourist attractions, so take advantage of iconic places like Vatuwaqa Lagoon and Hanga Roa Temple.
And, of course, don’t forget to enjoy some of Fiji’s best food – try out some local favorites like breadfruit soup or roti canai!
We will be making a full-length blog post on the best things to do in Fiji in the future. For now, check out Viator for the best things to do in Fiji. They have thousands of activities, day trips, multi-day trips, and things to do for an affordable rate! Also, below is a sample of the activities; you can click and check them out.
Cost of Taxes in Fiji by Percentage
Here is in-depth information for the cost of Taxes in in Fiji for each type of Tax and make sure to contact a local Fijian Tax Professional for more Information:
Individual Income Tax in Fiji
- Tax Type: Individual Income Tax
- Tax Rate: 0% – 20%
- Important Information:
- Progressive tax rates from 0% to 20% based on income.
- Tax free threshold of FJD 30,000 per year.
- 20% rate applies on income exceeding FJD 270,000.
Value Added Tax (VAT) in Fiji
- Tax Type: Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Tax Rate: 9%
- Important Information:
- Standard VAT rate of 9% introduced in 1992.
- Charged on supply of most goods and services.
- Some exemptions like health, education, basic food.
Corporate Tax in Fiji
- Tax Type: Corporate Tax
- Tax Rate: 10% – 20%
- Important Information:
- Base corporate tax rate of 20%.
- Reduced 10% rate for companies listing locally.
- Various allowances and deductions available.
Capital Gains Tax in Fiji
- Tax Type: Capital Gains Tax
- Tax Rate: 10%
- Important Information:
- Levied at 10% on gains from sale of capital assets.
- Applies to real estate, shares, intellectual property.
- Exemptions for private residences.
Import Duties in Fiji
- Tax Type: Import Duties
- Tax Rate: 0% – 32%
- Important Information:
- Charged on goods imported into Fiji.
- Rates from 0% to 32% depending on the product.
- Provides protection for local industries.
Table of Tax Rates in Fiji
|Tax Type in Fiji||Tax Rate in Fiji|
|Individual Income Tax||0% – 20%|
|Value Added Tax (VAT)||9%|
|Corporate Tax||10% – 20%|
|Capital Gains Tax||10%|
|Import Duties||0% – 32%|
Main FAQS Section About Fiji
Should I rent or buy a property in Fiji?
We recommend renting if you want to live in Fiji for a few months per year rather than staying there permanently. If you’re going to buy a property and stay in Fiji Permanently, we recommend renting. But if you want to buy a property, consult a rental agency for more information.
Is it possible to find affordable housing in Fiji?
Yes, it is definitely possible to find affordable housing in Fiji. For example, many expats and tourists traveling to Fiji choose to live in rented apartments or houses due to the cheaper cost of living. We recommend renting from Airbnb.
How much does it cost to live in Fiji?
The cost to live in Fiji Costs $1600 to $3800 per month Depending on your budget.
Is it cheaper to live in Fiji than in other countries?
Yes, it is cheaper to live in Fiji than in many other countries. You can expect to spend around $2,000 monthly on rent, food, utilities, and transportation costs.
How much does it cost to eat a typical diet in Fiji?
The cost of Food and Groceries in Fiji Costs $300 to $750 per month if you eat the local food and shop at the local supermarkets.
Are there any other costs I should be aware of when moving to Fiji?
Many costs come with moving to Fiji, but the ones you should be most aware of include: rent, food, utilities, and Transportation. Here’s a guide on how much each of these expenses will cost you in some of the main cities in Fiji.
Rent is typically around $700 – $1500 per month for a two-bedroom apartment in Suva. Food – A monthly food budget of $300-$750. Utilities can range from $70-$100 per month, depending on your location. Health insurance may cost anywhere between $100 and $300 per month.
What are some cheaper ways to live in Fiji?
There are a few ways that you can save money on your monthly budget if you’re looking to relocate to Fiji. For starters, you can consider relocating to one of the many affordable islands in Fiji, such as Viti Levu or Lautoka.
Alternatively, you can try renting an apartment or house instead of living in a hotel. Furthermore, another low-cost option would be to live off the grid and cook your food using solar power and rainwater collection systems.
This way, you will not have to waste money on food that’s not nutritious or inauthentic. You can also eat the local food and eat at the local supermarkets or cook and fish for your food.
What is the cost of living in Fiji?
The Cost Of Living Per Month In Fiji is from $1600 to $3800; depending on your spending habits, it could be less or more!
Which are the best cities to live in Fiji?
Nadi is the best city to live in Fiji as it has lower prices for food, utilities, and transportation. Additionally, Nadi offers various services, including education, health care, and entertainment.
Suva also ranks high on the list as it provides various services, including education, health care, and entertainment. The other two main cities – Lautoka and Labasa – are slightly more expensive than Nadi but offer good value for money compared to other places in Fiji. Also, you can live on one of the 330 different islands in Fiji.
How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Fiji?
Renting a simple apartment in Fiji typically costs around $500-$1000 per month.
What are the best places to live in Fiji for expats?
The best places to live as an expat and digital nomad in Fiji would be Suva, Nadi, Levuka, and Lautoka. And if you are interested, Fiji has over 330 Islands to explore.
Is living in Fiji expensive?
The cost of living in Fiji is cheaper than in western societies like the USA and UK and can vary depending on the area you live in and what type of accommodation you choose. In general, the costs of living in Fiji are around 40% to 50% less than living in the USA.
Is food expensive in Fiji?
Food in Fiji is less expensive than you might think! The cost of food in Fiji is around 300 to $750 per month. In fact, most items can be bought for a fraction of the price they would cost back home. The main reason food is relatively cheap in Fiji is because the country has a rich culture and history that revolves around seafood.
What is the best time to travel to Fiji?
The most popular time to visit Fiji is from May through October, the peak season in Fiji.
What is the Worst Time to Travel to Fiji?
The worst time to visit Fiji is from November through April, the rainy season in Fiji.
What is the Average Rent in Fiji in 2023?
The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Fiji is around $650 to $1000 per month. The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment ranges between $750 and $1,650 per month.
What is the Average cost of groceries in Fiji?
The Average cost of Groceries in Fiji is $300 to $750 Per month Depending on your budget.
What is the Average cost of transportation in Fiji?
The average cost of transportation in Fiji is from $100 to $300 Per month.
What is the Average Cost of Food in Fiji?
The average cost of food in Fiji is from $320 to $760 Per Month.
What is the cost of living in Fiji vs. USA?
The Cost of Living in Fiji Per month is from $1300 to $3500 Per month vs The cost of living in New York City, USA, which is from $4200 to $6000 per month.
Rent in Fiji vs. USA
There are often fully furnished rental apartments in Fiji, and rental estimates generally come from the Suva region. Rent in Nadis is generally cheaper outside of Suva, meaning the average price of comparable accommodation is about 30% lower.
The average rent for a share house is typically lower in older buildings. The average rental rate in Fiji is 50.17% cheaper than in the US. The average studio apartment in Fiji is $400 to $800, and the Average studio apartment in New York City is $2000 per month or more.
Monthly utilities in Fiji vs. USA
The Monthly Utilities in Fiji is from $50 to $200 a month vs the USA $200 or more per month.
Grocery expenses in Fiji vs. USA
The Average Grocery expense per month in Fiji is from $300 to $700 per month, so you’ll save around 40% on groceries in Fiji rather than in America.
We’ve summarized the cost of living in Fiji and provided a table of expenses. Additionally, we’ve included a guide on renting Airbnb’s in Fiji and tips on saving money. We hope you find this blog helpful and that you will move to Fiji soon for a few months! We will continually be updating this article. Also, below there are a lot of excellent travel resources
Travel Resources and Reliable Sources For Fiji
- Travel Insurance: We always have travel insurance monthly for international trips and living abroad. We STRONGLY suggest that you also have it, just in case other digital nomads live abroad, and we always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. SafetyWing is one of the few policies covering Covid-19, and they start at $42 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable! SafetyWing is perfect for Digital Nomads and long-term travelers!
- Heath and Safety: We use the travel guides on the CDC website to research recommended precautions.
- Fiji Tourism Board Government Site
- Official Fiji Tourism Board Tourist Friendly Site
- Fiji Tourism Board Site
If you want to keep up with our travels, go ahead and follow us on our travel page on Instagram @onelifepassport! Comment below what else you would like to know/see about our experiences traveling the world! Also, check out our YouTube Channel!
Check out our recent blog posts:
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In BRAZIL 2023 [BRAZIL Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In India 2023 [Digital Nomad, Expat Price Guide]
- COST Of Living In Japan 2023 [MOVING to JAPAN Guide]
- COST Of Living In Tokyo Japan 2023 [TOKYO MOVING GUIDE]
- MONTHLY Cost Of Living in Doha Qatar 2023 (QATAR Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Maldives 2022 (Best Budget Guide)
- Monthly Cost of Living In Madagascar 2022 (Best Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Dubai, UAE 2022 (Dubai, UAE Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Seychelles 2022 (Seychelles Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Mauritius 2022 (Mauritius Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In the Philippines 2022 (Best Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Singapore 2022 (Singapore Budget Tips)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Tahiti French Polynesia 2022 (Travel Guide)
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Moorea French Polynesia 2022
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Bora Bora, French Polynesia 2022
- 283 Best Things to Do In Bali Indonesia (Travel Guide)
- How To Get Around Bali 2022 (Best Bali Transportation Guide)
- Cost Of Living in Bali 2022 (Best Bali Indonesia Cost Guide)