Cost of living in Marseille France 2023 and Moving To Marseille Introduction
Welcome to the comprehensive guide to maximizing your budget and embracing the wonders of Marseille, France! Nestled on the beautiful French Riviera, Marseille offers a wealth of experiences for residents and visitors alike, from its stunning beaches to its vibrant nightlife.
Drawing on practical insights, extensive research, and personal experiences, we’ve curated a resource that covers all aspects of optimizing your budget while fully immersing yourself in the magic of Marseille.
Here’s what you can expect to find within our guide:
- Comprehensive Breakdown: Gain a deep understanding of the cost of living in Marseille, France through an in-depth analysis of expenses, allowing you to make informed financial decisions.
- Housing and Accommodations: Discover various options for affordable housing and valuable tips for finding suitable accommodations in Marseille. We’ll provide you with unique local rental websites and dedicated Facebook groups to streamline your search.
- Efficient Transportation: Navigate the city with ease by exploring transportation options, tips, and tricks. From an overview of the public transportation network to guidance on car rentals and fuel prices, we’ve got you covered.
- Essential Expenses: Learn smart strategies to save money on crucial aspects such as housing, utilities, groceries, dining out, entertainment, and health insurance. We’ll help you strike a balance between enjoying the city’s offerings and managing your budget effectively.
- Resourceful Information: Access reliable sources of information about living in Marseille, France. We provide up-to-date data, insights from tourism boards, and essential country-specific details to ensure you have the most accurate and valuable information at your fingertips.
Our guide caters to diverse audiences, whether you’re a digital nomad, expat, student, retiree, or simply curious about life in Marseille. With practical insights and tips, you can maximize your budget, fully embrace the city’s offerings, and create an immersive experience in this captivating destination.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Unveiling the real cost of living in Marseille, France
- Exploring affordable housing options in the city
- Savvy strategies for saving money on essentials like housing, transportation, food, and healthcare
- Tips and tricks to make the most of your budget and immerse yourself in Marseille’s vibrant culture and attractions
- In-depth insights into the practical aspects of the cost of living in Marseille, France
Our guide is your key to:
- Maximizing your budget while indulging in all that Marseille, France has to offer
- Finding affordable accommodations and seamlessly transitioning to life in Marseille
- Uncovering breathtaking outdoor and nature activities within the region
- Accessing reliable and up-to-date information about living in Marseille, France
- Saving money on essential expenses, ensuring a comfortable life without financial strain
Additionally, we’ll equip you with the knowledge to avoid scams and navigate financial challenges. With the cost of living in Marseille, France ranging from $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month based on a strict versus luxury budget, our guidance will empower you to thrive in this captivating city while maintaining financial stability.
Here are 16 reasons why you should consider moving to Marseille France:
- Cost of Living In Marseille France: The Average monthly cost of living, including rent, utilities, food, and transportation, ranges from $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month.
- Breathtaking Scenery: Immerse yourself in the stunning beauty of Marseille’s coastal location, with picturesque views of the Mediterranean Sea and the Calanques National Park.
- Mediterranean Climate: Enjoy mild winters and sun-drenched summers in Marseille’s Mediterranean climate, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Cultural Melting Pot: Experience the rich cultural diversity of Marseille, where influences from North Africa, Italy, and beyond blend harmoniously, creating a unique and multicultural atmosphere.
- Historic Charm: Explore Marseille’s historical heritage, including the Old Port, the iconic Notre-Dame de la Garde Basilica, and the vibrant Le Panier neighborhood, known for its narrow streets and colorful facades.
- Culinary Delights: Indulge in Marseille’s renowned cuisine, from the iconic bouillabaisse seafood stew to flavorful Provençal dishes and delectable pastries.
- World-Class Museums: Immerse yourself in art, history, and culture by visiting Marseille’s impressive museums, including the MuCEM, the Musée des Beaux-Arts, and the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations.
- Festivals and Events: Engage in the city’s vibrant cultural scene with numerous festivals throughout the year, such as the Marseille Jazz Festival and the Fête du Panier, showcasing local music, arts, and traditions.
- Sports Paradise: Embrace a sports-oriented lifestyle with a variety of outdoor activities available, including sailing, kayaking, hiking, and even watching live matches of the beloved Olympique de Marseille football team.
- Affordable Living: Enjoy a relatively lower cost of living compared to other major French cities, allowing you to make the most of your budget while enjoying a high quality of life.
- Excellent Healthcare: Benefit from France’s renowned healthcare system, with Marseille boasting top-notch medical facilities and hospitals.
- Education Opportunities: Access quality education with Marseille, home to prestigious universities and educational institutions, offering a wide range of academic programs.
- Efficient Public Transportation: Navigate the city easily with Marseille’s efficient public transportation network, including buses, trams, and an extensive metro system, ensuring convenient travel within the city and beyond.
- Cultural Vibrancy: Immerse yourself in a city brimming with artistic expression, including street art, theaters, music venues, and dance performances, showcasing Marseille’s vibrant cultural scene.
- Proximity to Attractions: Benefit from Marseille’ strategic location, placing you within reach of renowned destinations like Nice, Monaco, Cannes and Saint-Tropez, ensuring exciting day trips and unforgettable experiences.
Table Of Contents
Cost Of Living in Marseille France Quick Facts Key Takeaways, Statistics, and Data
Here are some quick facts about the cost of living in Marseille France:
- Here’s a breakdown of some key expenses: Total Monthly Living Costs in Marseille France ranges from $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month. For all expenses, and if you budget smartly, you can expect to spend $1400 to $4020 per month for all expenses.
- Marseille France is 2.8 times cheaper than New York City, New York.
- The average salary after taxes in Marseille France is $2,500
- A monthly income of around $1,920 USD (€1,704 EUR) – $4,408 USD (€4,086 EUR) is enough to live well in Marseille France For a single person and a couple.
- The cost of living in Marseille France varies depending on your budget. To maintain the same standard of life as in New York City, New York for $11,500 per month, you would need an estimated $4,500 in Marseille France.
- On average, the cost of living in Marseille France is 84.4% cheaper than in New York City, New York.
- On average, rent in Marseille France is 84.4% cheaper than in New York City, New York.
- The cost of rent for a studio in Marseille, France ranges from $540 USD (€450 EUR) – $1,677 USD (€1,490 EUR) per month.
- The cost of a budget food and grocery plan in Marseille, France will cost around $267 USD (€234 EUR) – $387 USD (€334 EUR) per month.
- The estimated monthly cost for a family of four in Marseille, France is $2,808 USD (€2,250 EUR) – $3,874 USD (€3,275 EUR).
- The estimated monthly cost for a single person in Marseille, France is $917 USD (€864 EUR) – $2,086 USD (€1,685 EUR).
- Monthly public transportation costs in Marseille, France are estimated to be $72 USD (€67.50 EUR) – $138.60 USD (€111.38 EUR) per month.
- Expats and digital nomads may spend more, from $1500 – $4000 per month, to maintain their living standards in Marseille France we spent $1,229.22 – $1,872.70 (€1,018.22 – €1,606.08) per month.
- You can definitely live for less in Marseille France if you are willing to make some sacrifices.
- The currency in Marseille France is the euro (EUR). It is important to exchange your currency before you arrive in Marseille France, as it can be difficult to find places to exchange currency once you are in the city.
- Marseille is a city on the French Riviera, in southeastern France.
- Population: Marseille is the second-largest city in France, with a population of approximately 870,000 people.
- Metropolitan Area: The Marseille metropolitan area, known as Aix-Marseille-Provence, has a population of over 1.8 million people.
- Area: Marseille covers an area of around 240 square kilometers (93 square miles).
- Location: It is located on the southeastern coast of France, bordering the Mediterranean Sea.
- Port City: Marseille is one of the busiest ports in the Mediterranean and the largest port in France.
- Cultural Diversity: The city is known for its cultural diversity, with a significant population of residents with North African and Italian heritage.
- Economy: Marseille has a diverse economy, with key sectors including maritime activities, manufacturing, tourism, and services.
- Tourism: It attracts a large number of tourists, with around 5 million visitors annually.
- Landmarks: Marseille is famous for its landmarks, such as the Old Port (Vieux-Port), Notre-Dame de la Garde Basilica, and the MuCEM (Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations).
- Football: Marseille is home to Olympique de Marseille, one of the most successful football (soccer) clubs in France.
- Education: The city is home to several universities and educational institutions, including Aix-Marseille University, which is one of the largest in France.
- Multilingualism: Marseille has a unique linguistic landscape, with various languages spoken, including French, Provençal, Arabic, and Italian.
- Climate: Marseille has a Mediterranean climate, characterized by hot summers and mild winters. It enjoys approximately 2,900 hours of sunshine per year.
- Cuisine: The city is renowned for its cuisine, especially bouillabaisse, a traditional fish stew.
- Transportation: Marseille has an extensive transportation network, including a subway system, tramway lines, buses, and a well-connected train station.
- Crime Rate: Marseille has had higher crime rates compared to the national average, particularly in certain neighborhoods.
- Cultural Events: The city hosts various cultural events throughout the year, including the Marseille Jazz Festival and the Marseille International Documentary Film Festival.
- Health Care: Marseille has a strong healthcare system, with numerous hospitals and medical facilities.
- Urban Development: The city has undergone significant urban renewal projects in recent years, revitalizing areas such as the Euroméditerranée district.
- Sports: Apart from football, Marseille also has a vibrant sports scene, including water sports, sailing, and rugby.
- Rent: The average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center ranges from €700 to €900 ($820 to $1,060), accounting for approximately 30-35% of an average monthly income.
- Rent Outside the City Center: The average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment outside the city center is approximately €500 to €700 ($590 to $820), representing around 20-25% of an average monthly income.
- Housing Affordability: Marseille offers relatively affordable housing options, with rent prices about 40% lower than in Paris.
- Property Prices: The average price per square meter to buy an apartment in the city center ranges from €3,500 to €4,500 ($4,120 to $5,290), depending on the neighborhood and property condition.
- Property Prices Outside the City Center: The average price per square meter to buy an apartment outside the city center is approximately €2,500 to €3,500 ($2,940 to $4,120), offering more affordable options for homeownership.
- Utilities: Monthly utility costs for a typical 85-square-meter (915-square-foot) apartment amount to about €150 to €200 ($180 to $235), accounting for 10-15% of the average monthly income.
- Transportation: A monthly public transportation pass (bus, metro, tram) in Marseille costs around €50 ($59), representing approximately 5% of the average monthly income.
- Gasoline: The average price of one liter of gasoline in Marseille is about €1.50 to €1.60 ($1.77 to $1.88), affecting transportation costs for car owners.
- Groceries: The cost of groceries in Marseille is slightly lower compared to the national average in France, making up approximately 20-25% of the average monthly income.
- Dining Out: A three-course meal for two people at a mid-range restaurant in Marseille can cost between €40 and €70 ($47 to $82), representing a treat or occasional expense.
- Coffee: A regular cappuccino in a café costs around €2.50 to €3.50 ($2.94 to $4.12), offering an affordable option for a daily indulgence.
- Local Beer: A pint of local beer at a bar or restaurant is priced at approximately €5 to €7 ($5.90 to $8.20), making it a reasonable choice for social outings.
- Imported Beer: The cost of a pint of imported beer ranges from €6 to €8 ($7.06 to $9.41), representing a slightly higher-priced option.
- Fitness Club: The monthly membership fee for a fitness club in Marseille typically ranges from €30 to €50 ($35 to $59), making it accessible for those interested in fitness activities.
- Cinema Ticket: The average price for a cinema ticket in Marseille is approximately €9 to €12 ($10.59 to $14.12), providing affordable entertainment options.
- Childcare: The average monthly cost for full-time daycare or preschool in Marseille ranges from €500 to €800 ($590 to $940), accounting for a significant portion of childcare expenses for families.
- Education: Public education in France, including primary and secondary schools, is free. However, private schools may have tuition fees.
- Health Insurance: The cost of health insurance in France is covered by the national healthcare system, with individuals contributing a percentage of their income.
- Income Tax: The income tax rate in France varies depending on income brackets, ranging from 0% to 45%.
- Sales Tax (VAT): The standard Value Added Tax (VAT) rate in France is 20%, applicable to most goods and services.
Our Personal Costs of Living in Marseille France: Table of expenses Breakdown 2023
Living in Marseille France can be an amazing experience, but it’s important to understand the cost of living in Marseille France before you go.
Here’s a detailed breakdown of our monthly cost of living in Marseille France, including rent, utilities, gym, food, transportation, entertainment, and health insurance:
Our Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille France:
Our Monthly Cost of Rent and Accommodation:
- When my partner and I were living in Marseille, France, our monthly cost of rent and accommodation ranged from $641.29 to $802.13 (€503.04 to €618.34). We found that the prices could vary based on factors like location, apartment size, and amenities. It was essential for us to consider our preferences and budget when choosing a place to live.
Our Monthly Cost of Utilities :
- To keep our household running smoothly, we had to budget for utilities such as electricity, water, and internet. On average, our monthly expenses for utilities amounted to $82.79 to $114.80 (€60.53 to €87.37). Managing our usage and selecting energy-efficient options helped us keep these costs within our budget.
Our Monthly Gym Cost in Marseille, France:
- Staying active and maintaining our fitness was important to us, so we decided to join a gym in Marseille. The monthly membership fee ranged from $48.83 to $88.33 (€36.26 to €69.22). We enjoyed access to a variety of fitness equipment and facilities, allowing us to prioritize our health and well-being.
Our Monthly Cost of Food and Groceries:
- As food enthusiasts, my partner and I enjoyed exploring the culinary delights of Marseille. Our monthly budget for food and groceries was around $307.07 to $520.91 (€247.54 to €389.69). This range took into account our dining-out experiences as well as the costs of cooking meals at home with fresh and local ingredients.
Our Monthly Cost of Transportation:
- Getting around Marseille required factoring in transportation costs. On average, we spent approximately $82.79 to $143.68 (€60.53 to €120.65) per month on public transportation and renting a scooter. We found that planning our trips and using cost-effective travel options helped us manage these expenses effectively.
Our Monthly Cost of Activities, Leisure, Entertainment:
- Exploring the vibrant culture and entertainment scene in Marseille was a priority for us. To make the most of our time there, we allocated a monthly budget of $37.45 to $75.78 (€30.29 to €61.61) for various activities, leisure pursuits, and entertainment. This allowed us to visit museums, enjoy the different activities, and experience the city’s rich heritage.
Our Monthly Cost of Health Insurance
- Ensuring our well-being and peace of mind was important, so we made sure to have health insurance coverage from SafetyWing while living in Marseille. Our monthly health insurance costs ranged from $45.00 to $166.84 (€40.00 to €138.32) based on the level of coverage and our individual needs. It was crucial for us to have access to quality healthcare services whenever required.
Our Total Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille, France:
- Our total monthly cost of living in Marseille ranged from $1,229.22 to $1,872.70 (€1,018.22 to €1,606.08). This encompassed rent, utilities, gym membership, food, transportation, activities, leisure, entertainment, and health insurance. We found that keeping track of our expenditures and adjusting our budget allowed us to enjoy our time in Marseille without financial stress.
Tips for Reducing Your Cost of Living in Marseille France:
- Live in a smaller city or town: The cost of living is generally lower in smaller cities and towns than in major cities.
- Shop for groceries at local food markets and supermarkets.
- Cook at home: Cooking at home is much cheaper than eating out.
- Take advantage of public transportation and rent a scooter monthly: Public transportation is a great way to get around the city without spending a lot of money on taxis or Ubers.
- Take advantage of free activities: There are many free activities to enjoy in Marseille France, such as visiting museums, walking in parks, beaches, national parks and attending free concerts.
- Buy a monthly travel pass: If you plan on using public transportation frequently, it may be worth buying a monthly travel pass. This will save you money on individual fares.
Here is a table of Expenses for what we personally spent in Marseille France:
|Our Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille France||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Our Monthly Cost of Rent and Accommodation||$641.29 – $802.13||€503.04 – €618.34|
|Our Monthly Cost of Utilities||$82.79 – $114.80||€60.53 – €87.37|
|Our Monthly Gym Cost in Marseille France||$48.83 – $88.33||€36.26 – €69.22|
|Our Monthly Cost of Food and Groceries||$307.07 – $520.91||€247.54 – €389.69|
|Our Monthly Cost of Transportation||$82.79 – $143.68||€60.53 – €120.65|
|Our Monthly Cost of Activities, Leisure, Entertainment||$37.45 – $75.78||€30.29 – €61.61|
|Our Monthly Cost of Health Insurance||$45.00 – $166.84||€40.00 – €138.32|
|Our Total Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille France||$1,229.22 – $1,872.70||€1,018.22 – €1,606.08|
Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille France Summary Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare: $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month
You can live in Marseille France, for around $1,119 a month for all expenses on a tight budget or $7,020 a month if you want to live much more luxuriously. The Cost of living in Marseille France is from $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month.
You can still maintain a monthly budget and enjoy all the beautiful things Marseille France, offers.
The following is a breakdown of the average cost of living in Marseille France:
Cost of Rent (Studio apartment):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $468.66 – $1,138.87
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €389.37 – €854.18
Finding a studio apartment in Marseille, France is an affordable option for those looking for a cozy living space. The cost of rent for a studio apartment ranges from $468.66 to $1,138.87 per month, depending on various factors such as location, amenities, and size. In Euros, this corresponds to €389.37 to €854.18. Renting a studio apartment can be cost-effective for individuals or couples who prefer a smaller living space and want to manage their expenses efficiently.
Cost of Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $54.00 – $900.00
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €46.33 – €348.19
Getting around Marseille is convenient and offers various transportation options to suit different preferences. The cost of transportation, including public transport, taxi services, scooters, or owning a car, ranges from $54.00 to $900.00 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €46.33 to €348.19. The expenses may vary depending on the mode of transportation chosen and the frequency of travel. Public transportation is generally affordable and well-connected, making it a popular choice for residents and visitors alike.
Cost of Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Cigna Global):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $45.00 – $218.00
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €31.20 – €179.40
Ensuring proper health insurance coverage is essential when living in Marseille, France. The cost of health insurance from providers like SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Cigna Global ranges from $45.00 to $218.00 per month, depending on the coverage level and specific requirements. In Euros, this Equals to €31.20 to €179.40. Having adequate health insurance provides peace of mind and financial protection in case of unexpected medical expenses.
Cost of Rent (1 bedroom apartment):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $607.04 – $1,494.83
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €492.81 – €1,237.60
For individuals or couples seeking more space and privacy, renting a 1-bedroom apartment in Marseille is a popular choice. The cost of rent for a 1-bedroom apartment ranges from $607.04 to $1,494.83 per month, depending on factors such as location, size, and amenities. In Euros, this corresponds to €492.81 to €1,237.60. Renting a 1-bedroom apartment offers a comfortable living arrangement with separate spaces for living, sleeping, and entertaining.
Cost of Rent (2 bedroom apartment):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $745.26 – $1,852.95
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €600.35 – €1,610.09
For those requiring more space or accommodating a small family, renting a 2-bedroom apartment in Marseille is an ideal option. The cost of rent for a 2-bedroom apartment ranges from $745.26 to $1,852.95 per month, depending on factors such as location, size, and amenities. In Euros, this corresponds to €600.35 to €1,610.09. Renting a 2-bedroom apartment provides the convenience of an additional bedroom, offering flexibility and comfort for families or individuals needing extra space.
Cost of Rent (3 bedroom apartment):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $884.09 – $2,198.77
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €706.87 – €1,974.40
Renting a 3-bedroom apartment in Marseille is an excellent choice for larger families or individuals requiring additional rooms for various purposes. The cost of rent for a 3-bedroom apartment ranges from $884.09 to $2,198.77 per month, depending on factors such as location, size, and amenities. In Euros, this corresponds to €706.87 to €1,974.40. Renting a 3-bedroom apartment offers ample space, allowing for comfortable living and accommodating personal needs.
Cost of Utilities (electricity, water):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $87.38 – $143.82
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €71.88 – €107.83
In addition to rent, utility expenses must be considered when estimating the cost of living in Marseille. The cost of utilities, including electricity and water, ranges from $87.38 to $143.82 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €71.88 to €107.83. These expenses may fluctuate based on individual usage and the size of the living space. It is essential to adopt energy-saving practices to manage utility costs effectively.
Cost of Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $17.70 – $24.71
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €15.17 – €20.21
Staying connected through mobile phones is crucial in today’s digital age. The cost of a mobile phone plan with unlimited data or a SIM card in Marseille ranges from $17.70 to $24.71 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €15.17 to €20.21. The prices may vary based on the service provider and the specific plan chosen. It is advisable to compare different mobile phone plans to find one that best suits your communication needs and budget.
Cost of Internet (wifi):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $25.27 – $37.06
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €25.27 – €29.20
Having a reliable internet connection is essential for both personal and professional purposes. The cost of internet service with WiFi in Marseille ranges from $25.27 to $37.06 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €25.27 to €29.20. The price may vary based on the provider and the speed of the connection. It is recommended to choose a plan that offers the required bandwidth for your online activities while staying within your budget.
Cost of Food (groceries, dining out, Local French Food):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $206.39 – $1,010.88
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €168.48 – €808.70
Food expenses contribute significantly to the overall cost of living. The cost of food, including groceries and dining out options, as well as enjoying local French cuisine, ranges from $206.39 to $1,010.88 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €168.48 to €808.70. The cost may vary depending on personal preferences, dietary choices, and frequency of dining out. Exploring local markets and cooking at home can be a cost-effective way to manage food expenses.
Cost of Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages):
- Monthly Cost in USD ($): $45 – $84.80
- Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €40 – €67.39
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important, and Marseille offers various activities to support wellness. The cost of healthy activities, such as gym memberships, martial arts classes, yoga sessions, or massages, ranges from $45 to $84.80 per month. In Euros, this corresponds to €40 to €67.39. Prices may vary based on the type of activity, location, and additional services offered. Engaging in these activities promotes physical fitness and overall well-being.
Total Monthly Cost of Living in Marseille France:
- Total Monthly Cost in USD ($): $1,119.88 – $7,020.00
- Total Monthly Cost in EUR (€): €1,042.56 – €6,509.70
The total monthly cost of living in Marseille ranges from $1,119.88 to $7,020.00. In Euros, this corresponds to €1,042.56 to €6,509.70. This includes rent, transportation, health insurance, utilities, mobile phone, internet, food, and healthy activities. Budgeting accordingly and prioritizing expenses based on individual needs and financial capabilities is important.
Here are some tips for reducing your cost of living in Marseille:
- Rent a studio apartment: Studio apartments are typically the most affordable option for housing in Marseille.
- Take public transportation: Public transportation is a great way to get around Marseille and it’s much cheaper than driving or taking taxis.
- Cook at home: Eating out in Marseille can be expensive, so cooking at home is a great way to save money.
- Take advantage of free activities: There are many free activities to enjoy in Marseille, such as visiting the beach, exploring the Old Town, and attending free concerts and festivals.
By following these tips, you can save money on your cost of living in Marseille France and enjoy a more affordable lifestyle.
The costs of living in Marseille France Depending on various factors and spending habits, the price may change. Others spend $5,130 or more each month for an extravagant, next-level lifestyle or even $1,000 on the strictest budget staying in hostels, couchsurfing, and smaller studio apartments, ensuring they make it work no matter what!
Please Remember the Average minimum wage someone earns in Marseille France is $1,500 so you definitely can live cheaper if you want.
- Expect to spend $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month. for a single person living in Marseille France. $2020 per Month is sufficient to live on.
- Local Marseille France markets, Local Food trucks, Local food shops, and supermarkets are the most cost-effective and knowledgeable ways to shop and eat in Marseille France!
Here is a table of expenses for a couple living in Marseille France per month:
|Cost of Living in Marseille France||Cost (Monthly) in USD ($)||Cost (Monthly) in EUR (€)|
|Cost of Rent (Studio apartment)||$468.66 – $1,138.87||€389.37 – €854.18|
|Cost of Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car)||$54.00 – $900.00||€46.33 – €348.19|
|Cost of Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Cigna Global)||$45.00 – $218.00||€31.20 – €179.40|
|Cost of Rent (1 bedroom apartment)||$607.04 – $1,494.83||€492.81 – €1,237.60|
|Cost of Rent (2 bedroom apartment)||$745.26 – $1,852.95||€600.35 – €1,610.09|
|Cost of Rent (3 bedroom apartment)||$884.09 – $2,198.77||€706.87 – €1,974.40|
|Cost of Utilities (electricity, water)||$87.38 – $143.82||€71.88 – €107.83|
|Cost of Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card)||$17.70 – $24.71||€15.17 – €20.21|
|Cost of Internet (wifi)||$25.27 – $37.06||€25.27 – €29.20|
|Cost of Food (groceries, dining out, Local French Food)||$206.39 – $1,010.88||€168.48 – €808.70|
|Cost of Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages)||$45 – $84.80||€40 – €67.39|
|Total Monthly Cost Of Living In Marseille France||$1,119.88 – $7,020.00||€1,042.56 – €6,509.70|
Cost of Living in Marseille France: Table of Expenses in 2023
This table of expenses will help you plan your budget for your move to Marseille France.
The Cost of living table below An extensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, our personal experience living Here, Locals, and Numbeo users were used to put this together.
The Exchange Rate is $1 USD is Currently equal to 0.90 Euros EUR (EUR) This estimate is based on a Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in Marseille France per Month! The Cost Of Living In Marseille France makes it possible to Live For $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month or more, depending on your spending habits! Check out the Currency Converter.
Here is the Table of the monthly budget for people living in Marseille France:
|Cost of Living Per Person in Marseille France||Cost (Monthly) in USD ($)||Cost (Monthly) in EUR (€)|
|Cost of living for a Single person in Marseille France||$946.03 – $1,816.18||€758.41 – €1,543.22|
|Cost of living for a Couple in Marseille France||$1,228.47 – $1,634.85||€1,026.87 – €1,426.32|
|Cost of living for a Family of four in Marseille France||$2,207.92 – $3,194.34||€2,056.03 – €2,839.92|
|Average Monthly Expenses in Marseille France||Cost (Monthly) in USD ($)||Cost (Monthly) in EUR (€)|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$504.48 – $1,008.71||€393.18 – €761.37|
|Average monthly cost for food and groceries||$176.50 – $470.17||€136.15 – €364.45|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$124.74 – $1247.40||€96.52 – €1113.75|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous items||$43.87 – $77.37||€35.16 – $58.45|
|Average monthly cost for utilities||$86.74 – $125.95||€67.01 – €95.95|
|Average monthly cost for transportation||$66.83 – $668.25||€51.98 – €594.00|
|Total average monthly cost of living in Marseille France||$966.25 – $3,640.42||€846.14 – €2,987.57|
|Average Cost of Living in Marseille France Expenses||Cost (Monthly) in USD ($)||Cost (Monthly) in EUR (€)|
|Cost of Rent and Accommodation||$595.72 – $1,192.41||€464.66 – €899.99|
|Cost of Food and Groceries||$208.59 – $555.64||€160.93 – €430.68|
|Cost of Utilities||$102.46 – $148.66||€79.72 – €113.41|
|Cost of Public Transportation||$46.43 – $81.29||€37.39 – €69.09|
|Cost of Private Transportation||$93.21 – $588.35||€71.83 – €453.03|
|Cost of Healthcare||$83.74 – $174.91||€64.65 – €135.94|
|Cost of Entertainment||$83.74 – $174.91||€64.65 – €135.94|
|Cost of Clothing and Personal Items||$42.41 – $77.36||€34.64 – €57.34|
|Cost of Activities and Excursions||$83.74 – $174.91||€64.65 – €135.94|
Cost of Rent and Housing In Marseille France In-Depth Summary And Table of Expenses
The cost of accommodation in Marseille France is essential for many expats, retirees, digital nomads, and locals. It can vary depending on the apartment type and location you are looking for.
Here are the Costs of Housing rent in Marseille France by Apartment:
Cost of a Studio Apartment in the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $455.10 – $913.40
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €380.25 – €684.45
When considering a studio apartment in the vibrant city of Marseille, France, you can expect to pay an average monthly rent ranging from $455.10 to $913.40 in USD and €380.25 to €684.45 in EUR, respectively. These apartments offer a cozy living space and are located within the city, providing convenient access to various amenities and attractions.
Cost of a Studio Apartment outside the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $341.47 – $607.20
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €285.19 – €474.94
If you prefer a more affordable option and are open to living outside the city center, studio apartments in Marseille can be found at a monthly cost ranging from $341.47 to $607.20 in USD and €285.19 to €474.94 in EUR. These apartments offer a balance between budget-friendly accommodation and proximity to the city’s outskirts.
Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $616.11 – $1,141.75
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €474.94 – €946.62
For individuals or couples seeking a bit more space, 1 bedroom apartments in Marseille are available at an average monthly cost ranging from $616.11 to $1,141.75 in USD and €474.94 to €946.62 in EUR. These apartments provide a separate bedroom, ensuring privacy and comfort, while being conveniently located within the city.
Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $444.38 – $735.15
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €377.23 – €595.36
If you prefer a quieter residential area outside the bustling city, 1 bedroom apartments in Marseille can be found at a monthly cost ranging from $444.38 to $735.15 in USD and €377.23 to €595.36 in EUR. These apartments offer a peaceful living environment while still providing access to necessary amenities and transportation links.
Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $913.40 – $1,471.30
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €772.50 – €1,255.08
Families or individuals in need of more space may consider a 2 bedroom apartment within the city of Marseille. These apartments typically range from $913.40 to $1,471.30 in USD and €772.50 to €1,255.08 in EUR per month. With an additional bedroom, they offer ample room for a comfortable living experience.
Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $722.23 – $1,141.75
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €602.91 – €946.62
If you’re searching for a balance between space and affordability outside the city center, 2 bedroom apartments in Marseille can be found at a monthly cost ranging from $722.23 to $1,141.75 in USD and €602.91 to €946.62 in EUR. These apartments provide the advantages of a suburban location while still offering the desired number of bedrooms.
Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $1,521 – $2,055.35
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €1,462.50 – €1,654.25
For larger families or those desiring extra space, 3 bedroom apartments in the city of Marseille can be an ideal choice. These apartments typically range from $1,521 to $2,055.35 in USD and €1,462.50 to €1,654.25 in EUR per month. With multiple bedrooms, they provide ample room for a comfortable and spacious living environment.
Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $1,330.87 – $1,774.50
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €1,155.84 – €1,429.58
If you prefer a suburban lifestyle with more room for a larger family, 3 bedroom apartments outside the city of Marseille are available at a monthly cost ranging from $1,330.87 to $1,774.50 in USD and €1,155.84 to €1,429.58 in EUR. These apartments offer a peaceful residential setting while still providing access to essential amenities and services.
Cost of a Luxury Apartment in the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $2,286.15 – $3,300.50
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €1,820.31 – €2,847.38
For those seeking a luxurious living experience in Marseille, luxury apartments within the city are available at a monthly cost ranging from $2,286.15 to $3,300.50 in USD and €1,820.31 to €2,847.38 in EUR. These apartments offer upscale amenities, elegant designs, and a prime location, providing a refined and comfortable lifestyle.
Cost of a Luxury Apartment outside the City of Marseille, France:
- Monthly Cost in USD: $2,151.75 – $2,788.50
- Monthly Cost in EUR: €1,811.68 – €2,388.19
If you desire luxurious accommodations in a serene setting, luxury apartments outside the city of Marseille can be found at a monthly cost ranging from $2,151.75 to $2,788.50 in USD and €1,811.68 to €2,388.19 in EUR. These apartments offer the perfect blend of opulence and tranquility, providing an exquisite living experience away from the city’s hustle and bustle.
Here is a helpful table with the cost of Housing and rent for each Apartment type in Marseille France:
|Cost of Rent in Marseille France||Cost per Month (USD)||Cost per Month (EUR)|
|Studio Apartment in the City Of Marseille France||$455.10 – $913.40||€380.25 – €684.45|
|Studio Apartment outside the City Of Marseille France||$341.47 – $607.20||€285.19 – €474.94|
|1 Bedroom Apartment in the City Of Marseille France||$616.11 – $1,141.75||€474.94 – €946.62|
|1 Bedroom Apartment outside the City Of Marseille France||$444.38 – $735.15||€377.23 – €595.36|
|2 Bedroom Apartment in the City Of Marseille France||$913.40 – $1,471.30||€772.50 – €1,255.08|
|2 Bedroom Apartment outside the City Of Marseille France||$722.23 – $1,141.75||€602.91 – €946.62|
|3 Bedroom Apartment in the City Of Marseille France||$1,521 – $2,055.35||€1,462.50 – €1,654.25|
|3 Bedroom Apartment outside the City Of Marseille France||$1,330.87 – $1,774.50||€1,155.84 – €1,429.58|
|Luxury Apartment in the City Of Marseille France||$2,286.15 – $3,300.50||€1,820.31 – €2,847.38|
|Luxury Apartment outside the City Of Marseille France||$2,151.75 – $2,788.50||€1,811.68 – €2,388.19|
Your best bet is to choose a monthly personal rental via Facebook Marketplace, Real estate in Marseille France rental site Helper Like Rentola and Properstar, Booking.com, Expedia and Airbnb or ask around with locals.
- Rentola is the most popular website for apartment rental in Marseille France.
- Properstar is another popular website for apartment rentals in Marseille France.
- You can also join Facebook groups such as “Digital Nomads in Marseille France” or “Expats in Marseille France” and Marseille France rental group on Facebook to connect with others and potentially find affordable rental options.
- Alternatively, consider staying at a Hostel, Airbnb, hotel monthly, homestay, guesthouse, or bed and breakfast in Marseille France for more affordable rates rather than a costly hotel or tourist location you can also ask around with locals and find a cheaper apartment that isn’t listed on websites.
Monthly Cost Of Rent in Marseille France: Table of Expenses in 2023
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of rent and Accommodation in Marseille France per month:
|Cost of Housing Type in Marseille France||Cost per Month (USD)||Cost Per Month In EUR (EUR)|
|Studio Apartment||$400.32 – $801.36||€334.08 – €679.68|
|1 Bedroom Apartment||$491.76 – $969.12||€417.60 – €835.20|
|2 Bedroom Apartment||$843.12 – $1,686.96||€689.76 – €1,585.44|
|3 Bedroom Apartment||$1,098.00 – $2,197.44||€939.60 – €1,775.28|
|Luxury Apartment||$1,532.16 – $3,057.84||€1,301.76 – €2,765.52|
|Cost of Accommodation Type in Marseille France||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|1 bedroom apartment in city center||$453.30 – $1,904.96||€389.42 – €1,698.51|
|1 bedroom apartment outside city center||$336.60 – $609.84||€275.55 – €534.60|
|Studio apartment in city center||$453.30 – $957.16||€389.42 – €842.74|
|Studio apartment outside city center||$321.75 – $643.50||€268.13 – €564.06|
|Shared room in city center||$150.41 – $272.25||€131.18 – €234.30|
|Shared room outside city center||$128.70 – $214.50||€114.34 – €180.21|
|Hotel room (3-star)||$78.17 – $151.39||€68.48 – €132.83|
|Hotel room (5-star)||$242.88 – $411.51||€210.38 – €344.94|
|2 bedroom apartment in city center||$957.16 – $1,986.60||€842.74 – €1,698.51|
|2 bedroom apartment outside city center||$660.00 – $1,188.00||€577.50 – €1,023.00|
|3 bedroom apartment in city center||$1,388.47 – $2,777.94||€1,223.75 – €2,384.25|
|3 bedroom apartment outside city center||$1,155.00 – $1,815.00||€1,031.25 – €1,608.75|
|Housing Accommodation Type in Marseille France||Price Range per day (USD)||Price Range per day in EUR (EUR)|
|Hostel||$15.95 – $33.99||€12.38 – €25.43|
|Budget Hotel||$49.38 – $89.98||€37.43 – €65.51|
|Mid-range Hotel||$89.90 – $169.71||€70.83 – €123.97|
|Luxury Hotel||$158.84 – $741.31||€127.94 – €598.49|
|Vacation Rental||$117.60 – $233.48||€94.61 – €182.82|
|Guest House||$89.90 – $169.71||€70.83 – €123.97|
|Bed and Breakfast||$70.83 – $117.60||€56.73 – €94.61|
Here are some popular rental websites in France where you can find listings for apartments and houses:
- Rentola is the most popular website for apartment rental in Marseille France.
- Properstar is another popular website for apartment rentals in Marseille France.
- Leboncoin: Official website: https://www.leboncoin.fr/
- Seloger: Official website: https://www.seloger.com/
- Pap.fr: Official website: https://www.pap.fr/
- Logic-Immo: Official website: https://www.logic-immo.com/
- Orpi: Official website: https://www.orpi.com/
- Fnaim: Official website: https://www.fnaim.fr/
- Century 21: Official website: https://www.century21.fr/
- Laforet: Official website: https://www.laforet.com/
- Particulier à Particulier (PAP): Official website: https://www.pap.fr/
- LocService: Official website: https://www.locservice.fr/
Where to Stay in Marseille France: Best Areas, Neighborhoods In Marseille France
When considering where to stay in Marseille, France, you’ll find a diverse range of neighborhoods and areas, each with its unique charm and character. From Vieux Port’s historic ambiance to Le Cours Julien’s trendy vibes, Marseille offers something for every taste.
La Plaine might be the perfect choice if you prefer a lively atmosphere with bustling markets and cafés. On the other hand, if you seek upscale living with stunning sea views, Le Roucas-Blanc is worth considering.
Whether you’re looking for a peaceful coastal retreat or an energetic urban experience, Marseille has a neighborhood to suit your preferences and create a memorable stay.
Here is a more detailed look at each of the best neighborhoods in Marseille:
- Vieux Port: Vieux Port is a historic port area in Marseille, France, known for its vibrant atmosphere. With its picturesque waterfront and lively ambiance, it offers a unique blend of history, culture, and entertainment. The average monthly rent in Vieux Port ranges from $540 to $675 (€450 to €563).
- Le Panier: If you’re looking for a charming neighborhood with narrow streets and colorful buildings, Le Panier is the place to be. This quaint area exudes a delightful old-world charm and is home to artists, galleries, and small cafés. The average monthly rent in Le Panier ranges from $405 to $540 (€338 to €450).
- Le Cours Julien: For a vibrant artsy district with a lively nightlife scene, Le Cours Julien is a top choice. This trendy area is filled with hip bars, stylish boutiques, and an array of street art. The average monthly rent in Le Cours Julien ranges from $495 to $630 (€413 to €525).
- La Joliette: La Joliette is a modern waterfront district that offers a mix of residential and commercial spaces. With its contemporary architecture and proximity to the sea, it has become a sought-after area for both living and working. The average monthly rent in La Joliette ranges from $450 to $585 (€380 to €495).
- Le Roucas-Blanc: If you’re seeking an upscale residential area with stunning sea and city views, Le Roucas-Blanc is an ideal choice. This prestigious neighborhood boasts elegant properties and a tranquil atmosphere. The average monthly rent in Le Roucas-Blanc ranges from $675 to $900 (€563 to €750).
- Les Goudes: Les Goudes is a picturesque fishing village known for its scenic charm. Nestled between the sea and rocky cliffs, it offers a peaceful retreat from the bustling city. The average monthly rent in Les Goudes ranges from $585 to $765 (€495 to €630).
- Endoume: Located close to the coast, Endoume is a quiet and residential neighborhood. It offers a serene environment with easy access to beautiful beaches and coastal walks. The average monthly rent in Endoume ranges from $495 to $630 (€413 to €525).
- La Plaine: If you’re looking for a lively and diverse area with a mix of shops, markets, and cafés, La Plaine is worth considering. This vibrant district is known for its vibrant street life and cultural events. The average monthly rent in La Plaine ranges from $450 to $585 (€380 to €495).
- Prado – Périer: Prado – Périer is an upscale neighborhood characterized by elegant architecture and green spaces. It offers a refined residential experience with easy access to amenities and parks. The average monthly rent in Prado – Périer ranges from $675 to $900 (€563 to €750).
- Corniche Kennedy: For breathtaking views and a luxurious coastal living experience, Corniche Kennedy is a prime choice. This scenic coastal road is lined with opulent residences and offers stunning vistas of the Mediterranean Sea. The average monthly rent in Corniche Kennedy ranges from $675 to $900 (€563 to €750).
Table of Best Areas and Neighborhoods in Marseille France:
|Best Areas and Neighborhoods in Marseille France||Description||Average Monthly Rent (USD)||Average Monthly Rent (EUR)|
|Vieux Port||Historic port area with vibrant atmosphere||$540 – $675||€450 – €563|
|Le Panier||Quaint neighborhood with narrow streets and colorful buildings||$405 – $540||€338 – €450|
|Le Cours Julien||Artsy district with trendy bars and lively nightlife||$495 – $630||€413 – €525|
|La Joliette||Modern waterfront district with a mix of residential and commercial spaces||$450 – $585||€380 – €495|
|Le Roucas-Blanc||Upscale residential area with beautiful views of the sea and city||$675 – $900||€563 – €750|
|Les Goudes||Quaint fishing village known for its picturesque charm||$585 – $765||€495 – €630|
|Endoume||Quiet and residential neighborhood close to the coast||$495 – $630||€413 – €525|
|La Plaine||Lively and diverse area with a mix of shops, markets, and cafes||$450 – $585||€380 – €495|
|Prado – Périer||Upscale neighborhood with elegant architecture and green spaces||$675 – $900||€563 – €750|
|Corniche Kennedy||Scenic coastal road with luxury residences and stunning views||$675 – $900||€563 – €750|
Living in Marseille France Credible Reliable Sources
Here is a list of Government resources for Visas, Cost of living in Marseille France, Facebook Groups, apartment rental sites, Tourism Boards, and more to help you with your potential move here! I hope this helps you all as you plan your move here!
- To find Rentals in Marseille France use these apartment rental Sites: Rentola is the most popular website for apartment rentals in Marseille France. Properstar is another popular website for apartment rentals in Marseille France. It is similar to Rentola.
- I suggest using google translate for Chrome and try to use the desktop version of Chrome for this so it will work for you.
- Marseille France Facebook Groups: France expat Facebook group and this Expats in France Facebook Group
- Marseille France Tourism Site: France Tourism Board and the Ministry of Tourism in France
- Marseille France Data from Our World in Data,World Bank and World Data and France Travel Data
- Marseille France Embassy for more information like Visas and more from France Embassy
- Government of France
- For exchanging money use Wise Which is the Best Option if you are a digital nomad and Expat. a cheaper solution to send, spend and receive money internationally rather exchanging money through other platforms like Paypal, Payoneer that cost a lot of money for exchange fees and rates
Also you can find reliable information and statistics about Marseille. You can search for these sources on the internet or through academic databases. Here are ten potential sources:
- Government of France – Official Website: https://www.gouvernement.fr/en
- Marseille City Official Website: https://www.marseille.fr/
- National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (INSEE) – France: https://www.insee.fr/en/accueil
- Marseille Tourism Office: https://www.marseille-tourisme.com/
- Eurostat – Statistical Office of the European Union: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat
- Marseille Economic Development Agency: https://www.marseille-innov.org/
- Marseille University – Official Website: https://www.univ-amu.fr/
Cost Of Transportation In Marseille France Summary and Table of expenses
The Cost Of Transportation in Marseille France You can Expect to spend from $100 – $1000 a month on Transportation; the best way to get around is to use the Public Bus, Train, and Renting a Scooter / motorcycle.
Here’s a detailed overview of the transportation options available so you can make an informed decision based on your travel preferences and budget. We recommend Public transportation, renting a scooter monthly, as well as using the Bus and all train transport:
- Metro: The metro in Marseille operates as an underground rail system, providing a convenient and efficient way to travel within the city. The cost ranges from $1.50 to $2.50 (1.40€ to 2.30€) per trip, and monthly passes are available at a range of 30€ to 70€.
- Tram: Marseille’s tram system offers a light rail network that connects various parts of the city. It provides a comfortable mode of transportation with fares ranging from $1.50 to $2.50 (1.40€ to 2.30€) per ride. Monthly passes can be purchased for 30€ to 70€.
- Bus: The bus network in Marseille is an extensive and affordable means of transportation. Fares for bus rides typically range from $1.50 to $2.50 (1.40€ to 2.30€). Monthly passes are available for 30€ to 70€, offering unlimited bus travel within the designated period.
- Bicycle Sharing: Marseille offers a public bicycle rental system called Le Vélo. It allows users to rent bicycles for short durations, with costs ranging from $1.50 to $4.00 (1.40€ to 3.70€) per ride. Monthly subscriptions are available at 20€ to 35€, providing access to unlimited rides within the subscription period.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available in Marseille for convenient and on-demand transportation. The fares for taxi rides vary based on distance and time. On average, taxi rides can cost between $10.00 and $30.00 (8.80€ and 26.40€) for shorter distances within the city.
- Car Rental: Various car rental agencies offer services in Marseille, providing flexibility and convenience for exploring the city and its surroundings. The rental costs can range from $40.00 to $100.00 (35.20€ to 88.00€) per day, depending on the car type and rental duration.
- Carpooling: Carpooling services like BlaBlaCar, Karos, and Covoiturage-libre allow travelers to share rides with others going in the same direction. The costs for carpooling vary depending on the trip and agreements made among the passengers.
- Train: Marseille has a well-connected train network operated by SNCF, Ouigo, TGV, and TER. Trains are a popular choice for inter-city and regional travel. The fares can range from $10.00 to $100.00+ (8.80€ to 88.00€+) depending on the distance and type of train. Monthly passes are available at approximately $80.00 to $200.00+.
- Boat/Ferry: Marseille offers boat and ferry services for transportation to nearby islands, such as Frioul and other coastal destinations. The cost for boat/ferry rides can range from $5.00 to $30.00+ (4.40€ to 26.40€+), depending on the destination and the service provider.
- Airport Shuttle: Various shuttle services operate to transport passengers to and from Marseille’s airport. The cost for airport shuttles typically ranges from $10.00 to $40.00 (8.80€ to 35.20€), depending on the specific route and the service provider.
- Electric Scooter: Electric scooters provided by companies like Lime and Dott are available for rent in Marseille. The rental fees for electric scooters can range from $1.00 to $3.00 (0.90€ to 2.70€) per ride, offering a convenient and eco-friendly transportation option.
- Walking: Walking is a free and healthy mode of transportation in Marseille. It allows visitors to explore the city’s streets, neighborhoods, and attractions at their own pace.
- Cycling: Marseille provides options for both free cycling and rental services through Le Vélo. Residents and visitors can enjoy cycling around the city, with rental costs varying from free to 20€ to 35€ for monthly subscriptions.
- Motorbike: Various rental agencies and providers offer motorbike rentals in Marseille. Renting a motorbike is a popular choice for those looking for convenient and flexible transportation. The rental costs can range from $40.00 to $80.00+ (35.20€ to 70.40€+), depending on the duration and the type of motorbike. Monthly rates are typically around $150 to $300.
- Rideshare Taxi: Marseille has popular rideshare services like Uber, Bolt, Heetch, LeCab, and G7, offering on-demand taxi-like transportation. The fares for rideshare taxis are similar to regular taxis, ranging from $10.00 to $30.00+ (8.80€ to 26.40€+), depending on the distance and demand.
Here is a detailed table of estimated costs of transportation in Marseille France:
|Transportation Options in Marseille France||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR||Service Providers||Monthly Pass||Description|
|Metro||$1.50 – $2.50||1.40€ – 2.30€||RTM||30€ – 70€||Underground rail system|
|Tram||$1.50 – $2.50||1.40€ – 2.30€||RTM||30€ – 70€||Light rail system|
|Bus||$1.50 – $2.50||1.40€ – 2.30€||RTM||30€ – 70€||Bus network|
|Bicycle Sharing||$1.50 – $4.00||1.40€ – 3.70€||Le Vélo||20€ – 35€||Public bicycle rental system|
|Taxi||$10.00 – $30.00||8.80€ – 26.40€||Various||N/A||On-demand taxi service|
|Car Rental||$40.00 – $100.00||35.20€ – 88.00€||Various||$400 – $1000||Car rental services|
|Carpooling||Varies||Varies||BlaBlaCar, Karos, Covoiturage-libre||N/A||Sharing rides with other travelers|
|Train||$10.00 – $100.00+||8.80€ – 88.00€+||SNCF, Ouigo, TGV, TER||$80.00 – $200.00+||Inter-city and regional train services|
|Boat/Ferry||$5.00 – $30.00+||4.40€ – 26.40€+||Frioul If Express, Navettes Martimes, etc.||N/A||Water transportation services|
|Airport Shuttle||$10.00 – $40.00||8.80€ – 35.20€||Various||N/A||Shuttle service to and from the airport|
|Electric Scooter||$1.00 – $3.00||0.90€ – 2.70€||Lime, Dott, etc.||N/A||Electric scooter rental services|
|Walking||Free||Free||N/A||N/A||Traveling on foot|
|Cycling||Free or rental||Free or rental||N/A or Le Vélo||N/A or 20€ – 35€||Riding bicycles|
|Motorbike||$40.00 – $80.00+||35.20€ – 70.40€+||Various rental agencies and providers||$150 – $300 per month||Renting and riding motorbikes|
|Rideshare Taxi||$10.00 – $30.00+||8.80€ – 26.40€+||Uber, Bolt, Heetch, LeCab, G7, etc.||N/A||On-demand rideshare taxi services|
|Transportation Options in Marseille France||Cost (USD)||Cost (EUR)||Service Providers||Monthly Pass|
|Public Bus||$1.51 – $2.45||€1.36 – €2.20||Lignes d’Azur||€30 – €50|
|Tram||$1.51 – $2.45||€1.36 – €2.20||Lignes d’Azur||€30 – €50|
|Train||$5.05 – $13.86||€4.54 – €12.46||SNCF||€80 – €180|
|Taxi||$5.05 – $9.08||€4.54 – €8.17||Various||N/A|
|Bicycle Rental||$5.05 – $10.10||€4.54 – €9.08||Vélo Bleu||€15 – €30|
|Car Rental (per day)||$40 – $100||€36 – €90||Various||or $400 – $1000 per month|
|Car Sharing (per hour)||$10 – $20||€9 – €18||uber, Share Now, etc.||N/A|
|Scooter Rental (per minute)||$30 – $60||€27 – €54||Various||or $150 – $300 per month|
|Motorcycle Rental (per day)||$30 – $60||€27 – €54||Various||or $150 – $300 per month|
|Ferry||$12.12 – $24.24||€10.90 – €21.80||Compagnie Maritime||N/A|
|Helicopter||$150 – $350||€135 – €315||Heli Air Monaco||N/A|
|Airport Shuttle||$20 – $30||€18 – €27||Various||N/A|
- The cost of transportation in Marseille France can vary depending on the time of year and the time of day.
Additionally, here are some other related expenses:
- Gasoline (1 gallon): around $4 – $7 per gallon.
|Monthly Cost Of Gas and Petrol For Scooter in Marseille France||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR (EUR)|
|Average monthly cost for gasoline, Petrol for scooter||$30 – $200||EUR 25 – 180 EUR|
Ultimately, We also recommend renting a Scooter monthly, Train, taking the bus, and Using the eBike and Public Transport This will give you the best experience and save a lot of money, and you can explore Marseille.
For more information check out the Government Of transportation in Marseille France
Here are some potential sources where you can find information about transportation in Marseille:
- Régie des Transports de Marseille (RTM) – Marseille’s Public Transportation Authority: Official website: https://www.rtm.fr/en
- Marseille Provence Airport: Official website: https://www.marseille-airport.com/
- SNCF – French National Railway Company: Official website: https://en.oui.sncf/en/
- Marseille Fos Port Authority: Official website: http://www.marseille-port.fr/
- Citymapper Marseille: Official website: https://citymapper.com/marseille
- Parking in Marseille – Official Website: Official website: https://www.parkingmarseille.com/
- Velib’ – Marseille Bike Sharing: Official website: https://www.velib-metropole.fr/en/marseille
- Uber Marseille: Official website: https://www.uber.com/global/en/cities/marseille/
- BlaBlaCar – Carpooling Service: Official website: https://www.blablacar.com/
- Google Maps – Marseille: Official website: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marseille
Cost of Food and Markets In Marseille France Explained: Table Of Expenses 2023
Marseille France is a popular destination, but you can eat local food and get groceries at supermarkets to save money. We recommend this instead of spending crazy amounts of money eating out.
Below is a breakdown of the average monthly cost of food in Marseille France, including local food, dining out, groceries, supermarkets, street food, and specialty food stores:
Cost of Food in Marseille France:
- Local Food in Marseille
- Estimated Cost (USD): $181.41 – $253.47
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €163.27 – €212.62
- Mid-Range Restaurants
- Estimated Cost (USD): $358.45 – $496.30
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €333.56 – €445.43
- Fine-Dining Restaurants
- Estimated Cost (USD): $514.76 – $1,205.30
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €465.23 – €1,017.88
- Estimated Cost (USD): $181.41 – $672.00
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €163.27 – €567.41
- Supermarkets (Imported Goods)
- Estimated Cost (USD): $1.82 – $50.03 per item
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €1.65 – €42.68
- Street Food
- Estimated Cost (USD): $1.82 – $16.72 per item
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €1.65 – €15.44
- Specialty Food Stores
- Estimated Cost (USD): $16.72 – $24.92 per item
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €15.44 – €20.99
Overall Monthly Cost of Food in Marseille, France:
- Estimated Cost (USD): $238.36 – $2,006.66
- Estimated Cost (EUR): €216.89 – €1,803.38
The overall monthly cost of food in Marseille can vary between $238.36 and $2,006.66 (€216.89 and €1,803.38). This estimation takes into account dining out, grocery shopping, exploring local flavors, and indulging in culinary experiences based on personal preferences and choices.
Note: The provided information is based on estimated costs and can vary depending on individual preferences, dietary choices, restaurant selection, and market prices.
If you are on a tight budget, you can save money by eating at local restaurants, buying groceries, and eating street food.
Here are some tips for budgeting your food costs in Marseille France:
- Cook at home more often. This is the most affordable way to eat in Marseille France. You can buy groceries at local markets or supermarkets, and there are many affordable Local restaurants.
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of Food in Marseille France per month:
|Cost of Food in Marseille France||Estimated Cost (USD)||Estimated Cost (EUR)|
|Local Food in Marseille||$181.41 – $253.47||€163.27 – €212.62|
|Mid-Range Restaurants||$358.45 – $496.30||€333.56 – €445.43|
|Fine-Dining Restaurants||$514.76 – $1,205.30||€465.23 – €1,017.88|
|Groceries||$181.41 – $672.00||€163.27 – €567.41|
|Supermarkets (Imported Goods)||$1.82 – $50.03 per item||€1.65 – €42.68|
|Street Food||$1.82 – $16.72 per item||€1.65 – €15.44|
|Specialty Food Stores||$16.72 – $24.92 per item||€15.44 – €20.99|
|Overall Monthly Cost of Food in Marseille France||$238.36 – $2,006.66||€216.89 – €1,803.38|
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly food and grocery costs in Marseille France:
|Monthly Food Expenses in Marseille, France||Estimated Cost in USD||Estimated Cost in EUR|
|Average monthly cost for groceries and local food||$168 – $242||€154 – €203|
|Average monthly cost for dining out||$284 – $1082||€256 – €381|
|Average monthly cost for miscellaneous food items||$76 – $154||€70 – €140|
|Total average monthly cost for food in Marseille, France||$252 – $1556||€234 – €1476|
Here is a table of estimated costs for food and Groceries in supermarkets in Marseille France:
|Cost of Food and Groceries in Supermarkets in Marseille, France||Estimated Cost in USD||Estimated Cost in EUR|
|Milk (1 liter)||$0.73 – $1.15||€0.65 – €0.98|
|Bread (500g loaf)||$0.73 – $1.15||€0.65 – €0.98|
|Rice (1kg)||$0.73 – $1.15||€0.65 – €0.98|
|Chicken (1kg)||$3.73 – $5.39||€3.43 – €5.05|
|Apples (1kg)||$1.10 – $2.42||€0.98 – €2.16|
|Oranges (1kg)||$0.68 – $1.45||€0.61 – €1.32|
|Eggs (1 dozen)||$0.68 – $1.45||€0.61 – €1.32|
|Cheese (1kg)||$3.73 – $5.39||€3.43 – €5.05|
|Beef (1kg)||$7.24 – $11.44||€6.47 – €9.99|
|Potatoes (1kg)||$0.36 – $0.75||€0.32 – €0.67|
|Tomatoes (1kg)||$0.68 – $1.45||€0.61 – €1.32|
|Onion (1kg)||$0.36 – $0.75||€0.32 – €0.67|
|Water (1.5 liter bottle)||$0.36 – $0.75||€0.32 – €0.67|
|Soft drink (1.5 liter bottle)||$0.68 – $1.45||€0.61 – €1.32|
|Beer (330ml bottle)||$1.37 – $2.30||€1.24 – €2.10|
|Wine (mid-range bottle)||$3.73 – $5.39||€3.43 – €5.05|
|Fast food meal||$5.71 – $9.23||€5.14 – €8.32|
|Restaurant meal (mid-range)||$12.11 – $19.37||€10.94 – €17.52|
|Cost of Groceries and Food in Marseille, France||Estimated Cost (USD)||Estimated Cost in EUR (EUR)|
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||$5.87 – $8.53||€5.35 – €7.76|
|Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course||$18.68 – $23.78||€16.94 – €21.58|
|Combo Meal at McDonald’s or Similar||$7.72 – $10.71||€7.00 – €9.70|
|Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught)||$1.93 – $2.46||€1.75 – €2.24|
|Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)||$2.63 – $3.25||€2.39 – €2.96|
|Cappuccino (regular)||$2.17 – $2.74||€1.97 – €2.48|
|Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)||$1.49 – $1.93||€1.35 – €1.75|
|Water (0.33 liter bottle)||$0.65 – $0.87||€0.59 – €0.79|
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||$0.92 – $1.19||€0.84 – €1.09|
|Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||$0.92 – $1.19||€0.84 – €1.09|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||$1.22 – $1.61||€1.11 – €1.47|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||$1.42 – $1.88||€1.29 – €1.70|
|Local Cheese (1kg)||$4.49 – $5.11||€4.08 – €4.64|
|Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg)||$4.49 – $5.11||€4.08 – €4.64|
|Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)||$9.05 – $10.82||€7.50 – €9.14|
|Apples (1kg)||$1.93 – $2.49||€1.75 – €2.26|
|Banana (1kg)||$1.42 – $1.88||€1.29 – €1.70|
|Oranges (1kg)||$1.42 – $1.88||€1.29 – €1.70|
|Tomato (1kg)||$1.42 – $1.88||€1.29 – €1.70|
Here is a Table of Local traditional French Food:
|Table of Local traditional French Food in Marseille||Description||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Socca||A chickpea pancake that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.||$2.32 – $3.86||€2.08 – €3.46|
|Pissaladière||A flatbread topped with onions, anchovies, and olives. It is a traditional dish from Marseille.||$3.86 – $7.73||€3.46 – €6.92|
|Salade Niçoise||A salad made with tomatoes, tuna, anchovies, olives, hard-boiled eggs, and green beans.||$7.73 – $11.59||€6.92 – €10.38|
|Pan bagnat||A large sandwich filled with tuna, anchovies, tomatoes, olives, hard-boiled eggs, and green beans.||$4.64 – $7.73||€4.16 – €6.92|
|Frites||French fries that are often served with mayonnaise or ketchup.||$1.55 – $3.09||€1.39 – €2.77|
|Crêpe||A thin pancake that can be filled with a variety of sweet or savory ingredients.||$2.32 – $3.86||€2.08 – €3.46|
|Croissant||A buttery, flaky pastry that is often served for breakfast or as a snack.||$0.77 – $1.55||€0.69 – €1.39|
|Pain au chocolat||A chocolate-filled croissant.||$0.77 – $1.55||€0.69 – €1.39|
Cost of Utilities in Marseille France Summary and Table of Expenses 2023
Here is an estimated monthly cost breakdown of utilities in Marseille France, including electricity, gas, water, internet, and mobile phone services:
Monthly Cost of Utilities in Marseille France:
1. Basic electricity / gas in Marseille, France:
- The estimated monthly cost for basic electricity and gas in Marseille, France ranges from $67.39 to $103.39 (€59.70 to €91.96). The service provider for this utility is EDF (Electricité de Marseille France). They offer reliable and efficient services to ensure that residents have access to essential power and gas supply for their daily needs.
- The estimated monthly cost for water in Marseille ranges from $17.04 to $35.03 (€15.69 to €30.28). The local water utility provides clean and safe water to households in the city. They maintain the water supply infrastructure and ensure that residents have access to high-quality drinking water and efficient wastewater management.
3. Internet (Wifi):
- For internet services in Marseille, the estimated monthly cost for Wifi ranges from $25.48 to $43.06 (€23.24 to €38.11). The service is provided by popular providers such as Orange, Free, SFR, and Bouygues Telecom. These providers offer reliable and high-speed internet connections, allowing residents to stay connected and access online services, entertainment, and work-related activities.
4. Mobile phone sim card (Prepaid):
- If you prefer a prepaid mobile phone plan in Marseille, the estimated monthly cost ranges from $4.20 to $13.26 (€3.84 to €12.19). Providers such as Orange, Free, SFR, and Bouygues Telecom offer flexible and affordable options for mobile phone users. With a prepaid sim card, you can easily manage your mobile expenses and enjoy the convenience of staying connected on the go.
5. Mobile phone plan (Postpaid):
- For postpaid mobile phone plans, the estimated monthly cost in Marseille ranges from $25.48 to $61.58 (€23.24 to €55.84). Service providers like Orange, Free, SFR, and Bouygues Telecom offer various plans with different features and data allowances to suit different needs. Postpaid plans often include additional benefits such as unlimited calls, texts, and data bundles, providing convenience and connectivity to mobile phone users.
6. Mobile phone plan (Unlimited data):
- If you require unlimited data for your mobile phone usage, the estimated monthly cost in Marseille ranges from $43.08 to $85.10 (€38.12 to €74.59). Service providers like Orange, Free, SFR, and Bouygues Telecom offer unlimited data plans that cater to heavy data users, allowing them to browse the internet, stream videos, and use online applications without worrying about data limits.
Total Monthly Cost of Utilities in Marseille, France:
- The total monthly cost of utilities in Marseille, France combines the estimated costs of basic electricity/gas, water, internet (Wifi), mobile phone sim card (prepaid), mobile phone plan (postpaid), and mobile phone plan (unlimited data). The total cost range is approximately $121.02 to $257.85 (€103.99 to €232.97). These costs encompass the essential utilities required for comfortable living in Marseille, including power, water, internet access, and mobile phone services.
Here are tips on how to reduce the Utilities costs.
- Shop around for the best deals. There are many different providers for utilities in Marseille France, so it’s worth shopping around to find the best deal. You can compare prices online or call around to different providers.
- Look for energy-efficient appliances. Older appliances are often less energy-efficient than newer models. If you’re buying new appliances, look for Energy Star certified models.
- Unplug appliances when you’re not using them. Even when they’re turned off, appliances can still use energy. Unplugging them when you’re not using them can help you save money on your electric bill.
- Take shorter showers. Showers are a major source of water usage. Taking shorter showers can help you save money on your water bill.
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help you save money on your heating and cooling bills by automatically adjusting the temperature when you’re asleep or away from home.
- Get a home energy audit. A home energy audit can identify areas where you can improve your home’s energy efficiency. This can lead to significant savings on your utility bills.
Here is an example table of expenses for the average monthly utilities in Marseille France:
|Monthly Cost of Utilities in Marseille, France||Estimated Monthly Cost (USD)||Estimated Monthly Cost in EUR (EUR)||Service Provider|
|Basic electricity / gas in Marseille, France||$67.39 – $103.39||€59.70 – €91.96||EDF (Electricité de Marseille France)|
|Water||$17.04 – $35.03||€15.69 – €30.28||Local Water Utility|
|Internet (Wifi)||$25.48 – $43.06||€23.24 – €38.11||Orange, Free, SFR, Bouygues Telecom|
|Mobile phone sim card (Prepaid)||$4.20 – $13.26||€3.84 – €12.19||Orange, Free, SFR, Bouygues Telecom|
|Mobile phone plan (Postpaid)||$25.48 – $61.58||€23.24 – €55.84||Orange, Free, SFR, Bouygues Telecom|
|Mobile phone plan (Unlimited data)||$43.08 – $85.10||€38.12 – €74.59||Orange, Free, SFR, Bouygues Telecom|
|Total Monthly Cost of Utilities in Marseille, France||$121.02 – $257.85||€103.99 – €232.97|
Here are some potential sources where you can find information about utilities in Marseille:
- EDF – Électricité de France: Official website: https://www.edf.fr/en
- Engie: Official website: https://www.engie.fr/
- Veolia: Official website: https://www.veolia.com/
- Suez: Official website: https://www.suez.com/
- Orange: Official website: https://www.orange.fr/
- Free: Official website: https://www.free.fr/
- Bouygues Telecom: Official website: https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/
Pros and Cons of Living in Marseille France: Is it the Right Choice for You?
Living in Marseille France has pros and cons, these are the pros and cons of living in Marseille:
Pros of Living in Marseille France:
- Rich Culture and Heritage in Marseille: Immerse yourself in the captivating culture and heritage of Marseille, with its historical landmarks, traditional festivals, and vibrant arts scene.
- Beautiful Landscapes and Cities Nearby: Enjoy the stunning landscapes and picturesque cities in the vicinity of Marseille. From the breathtaking Calanques National Park to the charming town of Aix-en-Provence, natural beauty and cultural delights are within easy reach.
- Excellent Healthcare System: Marseille boasts an exceptional healthcare system, ensuring access to high-quality medical services and facilities for residents.
- Low Cost of Living Compared to Paris and other European Cities: Marseille offers a more affordable cost of living compared to cities like Paris, making it an attractive option for those seeking a European lifestyle without breaking the bank.
- Beautiful Architecture and Roman Ruins: Explore the architectural wonders and Roman ruins scattered throughout Marseille, providing a glimpse into the city’s rich history and heritage.
- Amazing Food: Indulge in the gastronomic delights of Marseille, renowned for its fresh seafood, Mediterranean cuisine, and Provençal flavors.
- Amazing Museums and History in Marseille: Dive into the fascinating museums and historical sites that showcase Marseille’s illustrious past, including the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations (MuCEM) and the Jardin des Vestiges archaeological site.
- Strong Public Transportation Network in Marseille: Benefit from an efficient and extensive public transportation network, including buses, trams, and the metro, which makes commuting and exploring the city a breeze.
- Beautiful Beaches and Healthy Lifestyle in the French Riviera: Enjoy the Mediterranean lifestyle with access to beautiful beaches, sunny weather, and a focus on outdoor activities and well-being.
Cons of Living in Marseille France:
- High Cost of Living in Certain Areas but Cheaper than Paris: While Marseille generally offers a lower cost of living than Paris, certain neighborhoods may still have higher expenses.
- Bureaucracy and Red Tape in Marseille: Dealing with administrative processes and bureaucracy can be time-consuming and frustrating at times.
- High Taxes if you want to live there long-term: Consider the relatively high tax rates in France, which may affect your finances if you plan to establish long-term residency in Marseille.
- Language Barrier (if you don’t speak French): While English is spoken in tourist areas, the language barrier may pose challenges in day-to-day interactions and accessing certain services if you don’t speak French.
- Difficult to Get Long Stay Visas: Obtaining long-stay visas or residency permits in France can be a complex and lengthy process, requiring careful planning and adherence to specific requirements.
- Strikes and Protests: Marseille, like many French cities, occasionally experiences strikes and protests, which can disrupt daily life and transportation.
- Safety is an Issue in Some Areas in Marseille: While Marseille has many safe neighborhoods, it’s important to be aware of certain areas that may have higher crime rates and exercise caution accordingly.
- Too Many Tourists in Peak Season: Marseille attracts a large number of tourists during the peak season, which can lead to overcrowding in popular areas.
- Challenges in Finding English-Speaking Services Outside Major Cities: Outside major cities or tourist areas, finding English-speaking services or assistance may be more challenging.
Pros and Cons of Living in Marseille France Table:
|Pros of Living in Marseille France||Cons of Living in Marseille France|
|Rich Culture and Heritage in Marseille||High cost of living in Certain Areas but cheaper than Paris|
|Beautiful Landscapes and Cities Nearby||Bureaucracy and Red Tape in Marseille|
|Excellent Healthcare System||High Taxes if you want to live there long term|
|Low Cost of living Compared to Paris and other european Cities||Language Barrier (if you don’t speak French)|
|Beautiful architecture and Roman Ruins||Difficult to get long stay Visas|
|Amazing Food||Strikes and Protests|
|Amazing Museums and history in Marseille||Safety is an issue in some areas in Marseille|
|Strong Public Transportation Network in Marseille||To many tourists in peak season|
|Beautiful beaches and Healthy lifestyle in the French Riviera||Challenges in finding English-speaking services outside major cities|
Leisure, Activities and Things to do in Marseille France
Marseille, France,is a vibrant city on the Mediterranean French Riviera coast. From the iconic Vieux Port, where fishing boats sway in the gentle breeze, to the panoramic views from Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde, Marseille offers an array of unforgettable experiences.
Here are the 21 best things to do in Marseille France that you should see while you are here:
- Explore the historic Vieux Port (Old Port) and watch the bustling activity of fishing boats and yachts.
- Visit the magnificent Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde, a stunning hilltop basilica offering panoramic views of the city.
- Wander through Le Panier, Marseille’s oldest neighborhood, known for its charming streets, colorful buildings, and local artisan shops.
- Take a boat tour to the stunning Calanques National Park, a series of breathtaking limestone cliffs, crystal-clear waters, and hidden coves.
- Discover the vibrant street art scene in Cours Julien, a lively neighborhood filled with cafes, galleries, and graffiti-covered walls.
- Explore the picturesque Vallon des Auffes, a charming fishing village known for its colorful boats and waterfront restaurants.
- Immerse yourself in history at the MuCEM (Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations) and Fort Saint-Jean, located at the entrance of the Vieux Port.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Corniche Kennedy, a scenic coastal road offering stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Visit the Palais Longchamp, an impressive 19th-century monument featuring a beautiful park, a grand fountain, and the Museum of Fine Arts.
- Explore the vibrant food scene at the Marché de la Plaine, a lively open-air market offering a wide variety of fresh produce, local specialties, and gourmet treats.
- Take a boat ride to the Frioul Islands and explore the historical Château d’If, made famous by Alexandre Dumas’ novel “The Count of Monte Cristo.”
- Discover the fascinating history of Marseille at the Museum of European History and Civilization, located in the former Belle de Mai tobacco factory.
- Relax and sunbathe at the Prado Beach, one of Marseille’s most popular sandy beaches.
- Explore the unique underwater world at the Parc Marin de la Côte Bleue, a marine park renowned for its rich biodiversity and scuba diving opportunities.
- Attend a performance at the Opéra de Marseille, a stunning opera house showcasing a wide range of classical and contemporary productions.
- Visit the stunning Palais du Pharo, a grand palace built by Napoleon III, and enjoy the breathtaking views of the Mediterranean coastline.
- Discover the vibrant nightlife scene in the Cours d’Estienne d’Orves area, with its trendy bars, clubs, and live music venues.
- Take a day trip to the charming town of Aix-en-Provence, known for its beautiful architecture, art galleries, and lively markets.
- Explore the unique exhibits at the Musée Regards de Provence, dedicated to showcasing contemporary art and the cultural heritage of the region.
- Enjoy a leisurely boat cruise along the coast, taking in the scenic beauty of the Mediterranean Sea and the stunning cliffs of Marseille.
- Visit the rest of the French Riviera and also checkout Cannes, Monaco, Nice, Saint Tropez
Useful Table of Things to do in Marseille France with the Neighborhoods the places are in:
|Best things to do in Marseille France||Neighborhood in Marseille||Description|
|Explore the Vieux Port||Vieux Port||Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of Marseille’s Old Port, filled with fishing boats, yachts, waterfront cafes, and a vibrant ambiance.|
|Visit Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde||Le Pharo||Climb to the highest point in Marseille and visit the iconic basilica offering breathtaking panoramic views of the city and the Mediterranean Sea.|
|Wander through Le Panier||Le Panier||Get lost in the narrow streets of Marseille’s oldest neighborhood, Le Panier, known for its colorful buildings, artisan shops, galleries, and charming cafes.|
|Take a boat tour to Calanques National Park||Callelongue||Embark on a boat tour from Callelongue and explore the stunning Calanques National Park, a natural wonderland featuring limestone cliffs, hidden coves, and crystal-clear waters.|
|Discover street art in Cours Julien||Cours Julien||Immerse yourself in Marseille’s vibrant street art scene in Cours Julien, a trendy neighborhood with colorful murals, independent boutiques, hip cafes, and a bohemian atmosphere.|
|Visit Vallon des Auffes||Vallon des Auffes||Experience the charm of Vallon des Auffes, a picturesque fishing village with colorful boats, waterfront restaurants serving fresh seafood, and a peaceful ambiance.|
|Explore MuCEM and Fort Saint-Jean||Vieux Port||Delve into European and Mediterranean history at the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations (MuCEM) and explore the adjacent Fort Saint-Jean, offering cultural insights and stunning views.|
|Stroll along the Corniche Kennedy||Corniche Kennedy||Enjoy a leisurely walk along the scenic Corniche Kennedy, a coastal road with breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea, beautiful villas, and picturesque landscapes.|
|Visit Palais Longchamp||Palais Longchamp||Admire the grandeur of Palais Longchamp, a majestic 19th-century monument featuring a stunning park, a monumental fountain, and the Museum of Fine Arts.|
|Experience Marché de la Plaine||Cours Julien||Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Marché de la Plaine, an open-air market offering a wide array of fresh produce, local delicacies, and a lively shopping experience.|
|Explore Château d’If||Frioul Islands||Take a boat ride to the Frioul Islands and explore Château d’If, a historical fortress made famous by “The Count of Monte Cristo,” offering a glimpse into Marseille’s maritime past.|
|Visit the Museum of European History and Civilization||Belle de Mai||Discover the intriguing exhibits at the Museum of European History and Civilization, housed in the Belle de Mai neighborhood, showcasing the rich heritage and cultural diversity of Marseille.|
|Relax at Prado Beach||Prado||Unwind and soak up the sun at Prado Beach, one of Marseille’s most popular sandy beaches offering a range of water sports, beachside cafes, and a lively atmosphere.|
|Explore Parc Marin de la Côte Bleue||Carry-le-Rouet||Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Parc Marin de la Côte Bleue, a marine park renowned for its rich biodiversity, underwater life, and opportunities for scuba diving and snorkeling.|
|Attend a performance at Opéra de Marseille||Opéra||Indulge in a night of cultural entertainment at the Opéra de Marseille, a prestigious venue hosting a variety of opera, ballet, and classical music performances.|
|Visit Palais du Pharo||Le Pharo||Visit the stunning Palais du Pharo, an architectural gem built by Napoleon III, and enjoy the magnificent views of the Mediterranean coastline from its elegant terraces.|
|Experience the nightlife in Cours d’Estienne d’Orves||Cours d’Estienne d’Orves||Dive into Marseille’s vibrant nightlife scene in Cours d’Estienne d’Orves, featuring a plethora of trendy bars, lively clubs, live music venues, and a bustling atmosphere.|
|Take a day trip to Aix-en-Provence||Aix-en-Provence||Venture beyond Marseille and take a day trip to the charming town of Aix-en-Provence, known for its beautiful architecture, art galleries, historical sites, and bustling markets.|
|Explore Musée Regards de Provence||Vieux Port||Immerse yourself in contemporary art and the cultural heritage of Provence at Musée Regards de Provence, located near the Vieux Port, showcasing a diverse range of exhibits and installations.|
|Enjoy a boat cruise along the coast||Vieux Port||Embark on a scenic boat cruise from the Vieux Port and admire the stunning coastline of Marseille, with its picturesque views, sea breezes, and a memorable maritime experience.|
|Discover the Museum of Fine Arts||Palais Longchamp||Delve into the world of art at the Museum of Fine Arts, housed within Palais Longchamp, featuring an extensive collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts from various periods.|
|Visit La Vieille Charité||Le Panier||Explore the architectural beauty of La Vieille Charité, a historical monument in Le Panier, housing museums, exhibitions, and cultural spaces dedicated to art, history, and anthropology.|
|Explore the Jardin des Vestiges||Vieux Port||Discover the ancient Roman roots of Marseille at the Jardin des Vestiges (Garden of Remains), an archaeological site near the Vieux Port, showcasing ruins and artifacts from the city’s past.|
|Discover the Musée d’Histoire de Marseille||Vieux Port||Immerse yourself in the history of Marseille at the Musée d’Histoire de Marseille, located near the Vieux Port, offering engaging exhibits and displays that trace the city’s fascinating past.|
|Experience the Les Terrasses du Port||Joliette||Indulge in shopping and dining at Les Terrasses du Port, a modern shopping center in the Joliette neighborhood, offering a wide range of international brands, gourmet restaurants, and stunning views.|
Click Below for 100s of Amazing Tours in Marseille and the French Riviera:
Here are some potential sources where you can find information about things to do and tourism in France and Marseille:
- Official website of the French Tourism Development Agency (Atout France): Official website: https://www.france.fr/
- Official website of the Marseille Tourism Office: Official website: https://www.marseille-tourisme.com/
- Lonely Planet – France: Official website: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/france
- Marseille City Pass: Official website: https://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/
- Provence Tourism: Official website: https://www.provence-alpes-cotedazur.com/
- French Riviera Tourism: Official website: https://www.frenchriviera-tourism.com/
Cost Of Healthcare in Marseille France Table of Healthcare Expenses
Medical care in France is great and reliable and one of the best Healthcare in the world. You can get free healthcare if you are a citizen or resident in France or if you work for an employer.
You can also get free healthcare if you meet certain requirements, but if you are a digital nomad or going for a few months, you will need health insurance from SafetyWing, etc, which is what we do.
Here is a table of Healthcare costs in Marseille France:
|Cost of Healthcare in Marseille, France||Cost in USD||Cost in EUR|
|Doctor’s Visit (General Practitioner)||$42.39 – $85.46||€33.79 – €65.87|
|Specialist Visit||$68.36 – $128.28||€52.56 – $98.97|
|Prescription Medications (Generic)||$4.19 – $16.63||€3.11 – €12.71|
|Prescription Medications (Brand Name)||$42.06 – $163.01||€33.00 – $135.76|
|Dental Cleaning||$33.71 – $82.89||€28.09 – €67.03|
|Dental Filling||$42.06 – $165.59||€33.00 – $138.97|
|Eye Exam||$33.71 – $67.01||€28.09 – $55.12|
|Glasses (Basic)||$42.06 – $128.28||€33.00 – $98.97|
|Glasses (Designer)||$125.01 – $336.47||€102.12 – $264.54|
|Emergency Room Visit||$84.70 – $417.04||€66.43 – €334.05|
|Hospital Stay (Per Day)||$169.37 – $496.97||€134.88 – $400.05|
|Health Insurance (Individual)||$45.00 – $263.81||€38.50 – $210.25|
SafetyWing Insurance is an innovative travel insurance solution designed for travelers, digital nomads, and remote workers. Whether you’re on a gap year, working abroad, or traveling for business, SafetyWing offers a comprehensive coverage plan to keep you protected and secure during your journey.
Here are just a few reasons why you should try SafetyWing Insurance for your next trip:
- Global Coverage: SafetyWing insurance covers you anywhere in the world, including countries that many other insurance companies exclude.
- Affordable: SafetyWing offers affordable, more cost-effective insurance options than many other travel insurance plans.
- Easy to Use: With SafetyWing, you can sign up, manage your policy, and file claims all from the comfort of your phone or computer.
- Wide Range of Coverage: SafetyWing offers coverage for a variety of events, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, lost or stolen property, and more.
- 24/7 Support: SafetyWing provides 24/7 support to its customers, so you can get help when you need it, no matter where you are in the world.
We suggest you also have it, especially if you live as an expat and digital nomad in Marseille France. We always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $45 a month! It’s incredible and always reliable!
Here are some potential sources where you can find information about healthcare in Marseille:
- French Social Security System (Assurance Maladie): Official website: https://www.ameli.fr/
- French Ministry of Health (Ministère des Solidarités et de la Santé): Official website: https://solidarites-sante.gouv.fr/
- Public Hospitals in Marseille:
- Private Hospitals and Clinics in Marseille:
- Hôpital Privé Clairval: Official website: https://www.capio.fr/etablissement/hopital-prive-clairval/
- Hôpital Privé Beauregard: Official website: https://www.capio.fr/etablissement/hopital-prive-beauregard/
- Hôpital Européen Marseille: Official website: https://www.hopital-europeen.fr/
Main FAQS Section About Marseille France:
What is the monthly cost of living in Marseille France?
The cost of living in Marseille France on average, is around $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month. This includes rent, food, transportation, and other costs like utilities and phone bills.
What is the Cost Of Living in Marseille France Vs USA?
The Cost Of Living in Marseille France is around 88.4% cheaper than living in New York City, USA, and the average monthly Cost of living in Marseille France is $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month in Marseille France vs $5500 to $10399 per month living in New York City, United States.
What is the Cost of Accommodation in Marseille France?
The Cost of Accommodation in Marseille France costs around $400 to $4,200 per month. from a simple studio to a Luxury 3+ bedroom Condo.
What is the best time of year to visit Marseille France?
The best time to visit Marseille France is during March to November to avoid the cold.
How Much does it cost to live in Marseille France?
On average, living in Marseille France costs around $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month
What is the Cost of Utilities in Marseille France?
The Cost of Utilities in Marseille France Cost around $100 to $300 per month, depending on your energy consumption!
What is the Cost of Food in Marseille France vs USA?
The Cost Of Food in Marseille France is 30% cheaper than in New York, United States. Monthly Food Costs in Marseille France is from $247 to $1200 per month for a strict vs luxury budget.
What is the Cost Of Rent in Marseille France VS USA?
The Cost of Rent in Marseille France is 88.4% cheaper Than in New York, United States A 1 bedroom apartment in Marseille France costs $500 to $2500 per month on average, and 1 bedroom Apartment in New York City, United States, Costs over $3170 per month.
What is the Food Expenses In Marseille France?
The Food expenses in Marseille France is from $244 to $1200 per month. Make sure to eat the local Food, local Food markets, buying meats in bulk from the local store and freezing them, and going to supermarkets to save money.
What is the Rental Expenses In Marseille France?
The monthly rent for a 1-bedroom in Marseille France is from $500 to $2500 depending on if its outside the cities or inside the cities and budget apartment or luxury.
What is the Expenses for a Single Person in Marseille France?
The Expenses for a Single Person in Marseille France is from $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month for all expenses.
What is the average cost of Rent In Marseille France?
The Average cost of rent in Marseille France is around $400 to $3,000 Per Month in Marseille France.
What is the average Cost of Transportation In Marseille France?
The average cost of transportation in Marseille France is about $2 – $30 USD per day or $50 to $1000 per month, Depending if you use a Bus, Train, Public transport and Scooter or personal car.
What is the Cost of Mobile Phone SIM and Internet Data In Marseille France?
The Cost of Phone Data and internet from in Marseille France is around $20 to $100 per month.
What is the Cost of Food in Marseille France?
The Cost of Food in Marseille France costs around $244 to $1720 per month on a budget; try to eat at the local restaurants, local markets and street food for the best and cheapest food to stay on budget!
Is Marseille France a Safe place to live?
Yes and no, Marseille France is safe in certain areas! but of course, you always need to watch what you are doing and keep safety of mind as you would anywhere in the world also stay away from Shady Bars, clubs, Protests and shady areas and keep alert.
Is it expensive to live in Marseille France?
Yes, it can be expensive to Live in Marseille France. You can expect to spend $1,119.88 – $7,020.00 (€1,042.56 – €6,509.70) per month but if you live on a budget and don’t do tourist things. I recommend renting a studio, eating local food, renting a scooter, taking the bus, Public Transport and shopping at the local markets and local food places. If you do this, you will save a lot of money!
What is the Average Salary in Marseille France?
The Average Yearly Salary in Marseille France is around $30,000 or €27,600 Net per month per but the minimum wage is around €18,000 per Year.
What is a good salary to live in Marseille France?
A great Salary to live on in Marseille France is around $2,300 – $4,000 per month. This will cover all expenses.
Cost of Living in Marseille France and Budget Tips Conclusion
Thank you for taking the time to read our comprehensive guide on the cost of living in Marseille, France. We hope that our insights and suggestions have been helpful in planning your relocation to this beautiful city.
Here are some final tips to help you manage your budget while living in Marseille:
- Choose a more affordable neighborhood. Rent and other living expenses are typically lower in the outskirts of the city.
- Shop at local markets and grocery stores. You can find fresh produce and ingredients at more reasonable prices here.
- Cook at home. Dining out can be expensive in Marseille, so preparing meals at home is a great way to save money.
- Take advantage of free or low-cost activities. There are many free or inexpensive things to do in Marseille, such as hiking, swimming, and exploring historical sites.
- Use public transportation or a scooter. Public transportation and scooter rentals are affordable and reliable ways to get around Marseille.
- Consider a long-term rental. Long-term rentals are often more affordable than short-term stays in hotels or vacation rentals.
- Set a budget and track your expenses. It’s important to stay on top of your spending so that you don’t overspend.
Here are some additional budget-friendly tips:
- Seek out local restaurants. Local restaurants are often more affordable than tourist-oriented restaurants.
- Get a Marseille France Tourist Card or a monthly Public Transport card. These cards offer discounts on attractions, transportation, and other activities.
- Buy a monthly public transportation pass. This will save you money on bus and metro fares.
- Rent a bicycle or scooter. Biking and scootering are great ways to get around Marseille and save money on transportation costs.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful:
- Learn some basic French phrases. This will make your stay in Marseille more enjoyable and help you communicate with locals.
- Be prepared for crowds, especially during the summer months. Marseille is a popular tourist destination, so be prepared for large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Like any city, Marseille has its share of petty crime. Keep an eye on your belongings and be aware of your surroundings.
- Consider renting a furnished apartment if you’re staying for a limited time. This will save you the hassle of bringing your own furniture and appliances.
- Consider getting a roommate if you’re on a tight budget. This will help you save money on rent and utilities.
- Look for deals and discounts. There are many ways to save money in Marseille, such as by taking advantage of discounts on attractions, transportation, and activities.
- Attend free events. Marseille hosts many free events throughout the year. Check out local newspapers and websites to find out what’s happening.
- Start your search early. The rental market in Marseille can be competitive, so it’s important to start your search early.
- Be flexible with your dates. If you’re able to be flexible with your move-in and move-out dates, you’ll have a better chance of finding an affordable rental.
- Consider a roommate. Sharing a rental with a roommate can help you save money on rent and utilities.
- Look for long-term rentals. Long-term rentals are often more affordable than short-term stays in hotels or vacation rentals.
- Consider renting a furnished apartment. Furnished apartments come with all the necessary furniture and appliances, so you won’t have to worry about bringing your own.
- Use online rental platforms. There are many online rental platforms that list apartments for rent in Marseille. These platforms can be a great way to find affordable rentals.
Here are two of the most popular online rental platforms in Marseille:
- Rentola is a leading real estate platform in Marseille, France. It offers an extensive selection of properties available for rent, including apartments, houses, villas, and commercial properties.
- Properstar is another renowned real estate platform in Marseille, France. It provides comprehensive listings and options for those seeking real estate opportunities in the city.
When using online rental platforms, be sure to do your research and read reviews of the properties before making a decision. It’s also important to be prepared to act quickly, as the best rentals often go quickly.
Here are some additional tips for finding affordable rentals in Marseille:
- Check with local universities. Many universities in Marseille have housing offices that can help students find affordable housing.
- Contact local real estate agents. Real estate agents can help you find rentals that are not listed online.
- Attend rental fairs. Rental fairs are a great way to meet with landlords and view rental properties in person.
We wish you all the best in your move to Marseille, France! May your new adventure be filled with wonderful experiences and cherished memories.
For Safety and Police in Marseille France here are sources for that:
- Ministry of the Interior – France: Official website: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/
- Marseille Police Department (Préfecture de Police): Official website: https://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/
- Marseille City Police (Police Municipale): Official website: Varies depending on the municipality. You can search for the local police website in Marseille.
- Emergency Services (Police, Fire, and Medical): In case of emergencies, dial the European emergency number 112 or the specific helpline number for police (17).
- Travel Advice and Safety for France:
- U.S. Department of State – France Travel Advisory: Official website: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/France.html
- UK Government Travel Advice – France: Official website: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
Related articles About France and France Territories:
- COST OF LIVING In PARIS France 2023 [PARIS Budget Guide]
- Cost of Living in France
- Cost of living in Nice France
- Cost of living in Cannes France
- Cost Of Living in Monaco
- COST OF LIVING In LYON France 2023 [LYON Budget Guide]
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Bora Bora, French Polynesia 2023
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Tahiti French Polynesia 2023 (Travel Guide)
- 133 BEST Things To Do In Bora Bora French Polynesia [2023 Guide]
- Monthly Cost Of Living In Moorea French Polynesia 2023
- COST Of Living in New Caledonia 2023 [Noumea Budget Guide]
Travel Resources and Reliable Sources For Marseille France
Check out our recent blog posts:
- COST OF LIVING In UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 2023 [UAE Budget]
- COST OF LIVING In HAMBURG Germany 2023 [Hamburg Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In BERLIN Germany 2023 [BERLIN Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In GERMANY 2023 [Germany Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In ALGARVE Portugal 2023 [Algarve Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In AZORES Portugal 2023 [AZORES Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In MADEIRA Portugal 2023 [MADEIRA Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In PORTO Portugal 2023 [PORTO Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In Portugal 2023 [PORTUGAL Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In LISBON Portugal 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In IBIZA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In SPAIN 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In BARCELONA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In MADRID Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In Palma De Mallorca Spain [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In VALENCIA Spain 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST of Living in DUBROVNIK Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In SPLIT Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In ZAGREB Croatia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In CROATIA 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Greece 2023 [BEST Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Athens Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Thessaloniki Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In SANTORINI Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In MYKONOS Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In CRETE Greece 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In CYPRUS 2023 [Expat Budget Guide
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In MALTA 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In MONACO 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In AUCKLAND New Zealand 2023 [Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In NEW ZEALAND 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST Of Living In Tokyo Japan 2023 [TOKYO Budget Guide]
- Monthly COST Of Living In Japan 2023 [JAPAN Budget Guide]