What is the Cost of Living in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia in 2023 Introduction
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll embark on a journey together, providing you with invaluable insights and resources to navigate the intricacies of life in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia The Holiest City in Islam.
Whether you’re a Digital Nomad, an expatriate, a student, a retiree, or simply intrigued by Mecca, Saudi Arabia, we’re here to be your trusted companion From the Extensive Research we have done.
Here’s what you can expect from this informative guide:
- Uncover Valuable Insights: Delve into the essential aspects of life in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, including housing, transportation, utilities, groceries, entertainment, and health insurance costs. We’ll provide you with detailed breakdowns and expert advice to help you make informed financial decisions.
- Access a Wealth of Resources: Navigate through informative charts, practical tips, and engaging videos meticulously tailored to your preferences. These resources will empower you to manage your finances effectively, whether your monthly budget ranges from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month.
- Embrace the Adventure: Discover a world of thrilling outdoor activities for adventure enthusiasts and tranquil retreats for those seeking solace amidst Mecca’s breathtaking natural landscapes.
- Secure Affordable Accommodations: Master the art of finding reasonably priced lodgings by harnessing local resources and rental websites, ensuring a comfortable and budget-friendly stay in Mecca.
- Dependable Information: Rest assured that the information you receive is sourced from reliable outlets, including official data, statistics, governmental agencies, and tourism organizations. With this knowledge, you’ll make well-informed decisions every step of the way.
- Seamless Adaptation: Receive expert guidance on smoothly transitioning to life in Mecca and essential insights into healthcare, ensuring your well-being is a top priority.
This guide serves as your compass, directing you to:
- Relish the best of Mecca without straining your finances.
- Explore an array of delightful activities and savor the local cuisine.
- Access credible information for a seamless transition.
- Manage your finances wisely with expert budgeting advice.
- Cultivate a content and secure life in this enchanting city.
Remarkably, you can lead a comfortable life in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, with just $1,200 per month, even on a modest budget.
As you journey through this guide, you’ll emerge well-prepared to savor Mecca’s allure while making informed financial decisions.
With the Cost of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia ranging from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month, Mecca unfolds an array of incredible options for a fulfilling life. Let’s embark on this adventure together!
Here are 12 great reasons Why you should consider moving to Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Spiritual Center: Mecca is the holiest city in Islam, home to the Kaaba. Living here allows you to immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere and partake in religious activities.
- Cultural Richness: Mecca boasts a rich cultural heritage, offering a unique blend of traditional and modern Arabian culture, including music, art, and cuisine.
- Economic Opportunities: Saudi Arabia’s thriving economy presents ample job opportunities, especially in sectors like oil, finance, and healthcare.
- Safety and Security: The city is known for its low crime rates and strict law enforcement, ensuring a safe and secure environment for residents.
- Modern Infrastructure: Mecca has invested heavily in modern infrastructure, including transportation, healthcare, and education, making it an ideal place for families.
- Educational Hub: The city hosts prestigious universities and schools, providing quality education options for students of all ages.
- World-Class Healthcare: Mecca boasts world-class healthcare facilities and hospitals, ensuring access to top-notch medical care.
- Culinary Delights: Savor Arabian cuisine with its delectable dishes like Shawarma, Kabsa, and Falafel in the city’s numerous restaurants and food markets.
- Scenic Beauty: Mecca is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including the Red Sea and nearby mountains, offering residents ample opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Rich History: Explore historical sites like the Qishla of Mecca and Abraj Al Bait Towers, which offer glimpses into the city’s past and its modern development.
- Affordable Living
- Growing Expat Community
Table Of Contents
Cost Of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia Quick Facts, Key Takeaways, Statistics, Data
A breakdown of some key expenses: Total Monthly Cost of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia ranges from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month.
Here are some quick facts about the cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- For all expenses, and if you budget correctly, you can expect to spend $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month For all expenses.
- The average monthly salary before taxes in Mecca Saudi Arabia is approximately:
- USD 1,600 – USD 5,333 (SAR 6,000 to SAR 20,000) Per month
- To maintain the same standard of life with $10,000 USD in New York City, an estimated $3,730 USD (SAR 4,000) is needed in Mecca Saudi Arabia.
- On average, the cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is 70% cheaper than in New York City, United States.
- On average, rent in Mecca Saudi Arabia is 77% lower than in New York City, New York, USA.
- The cost of rent in Mecca Saudi Arabia ranges from $620 – $4,000 Per month in USD.
- Average Monthly Rent in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $952.59 – $2,263.50 USD (SAR 3,825.45 – SAR 8,507.38)
- Grocery Costs in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $280.74 – $543.48 USD (SAR 1,019.65 – SAR 2,039.55)
- Transportation Expenses in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $95.20 – $907.80 USD (SAR 351.00 – SAR 3,397.25)
- Utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $92.59 – $272.34 USD (SAR 339.98 – SAR 1,021.06)
- Internet and Communication in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $47.15 – $90.78 USD (SAR 170.88 – SAR 339.98)
- Healthcare in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $45 – $272.34 USD (SAR 152.25 – SAR 1,021.06)
- Entertainment in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- $47.15 – $90.78 USD (SAR 170.88 – SAR 339.98)
Monthly Cost of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia Cost Of Rent, Groceries, Transportation, Healthcare Breakdown: $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month
You can live in Mecca Saudi Arabia, for around $1,007 a month for all expenses on a tight budget or $5,009 a month if you want to live much more luxuriously. The Cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month.
The following is a breakdown of the average cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Cost of Rent (Studio apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Renting a studio apartment in Mecca can range from $514.50 – $797.20 per month (SAR 1,789.98 – SAR 2,986.52). When looking for an apartment, neighborhoods near the Holy Mosque tend to be more expensive while areas further away can be cheaper. Be sure to negotiate the price when signing your lease. Furnished apartments tend to cost more.
Cost of Rent (1 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Expect to pay $668.13 – $1,114.84 per month (SAR 2,382.89 – SAR 3,980.06) for a 1 bedroom apartment in Mecca. Central locations will be pricier. Opt for a newer building with good amenities if your budget allows.
Cost of Rent (2 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
A 2 bedroom apartment in Mecca rents for around $1,001.97 – $1,672.23 per month (SAR 2,760.06 – SAR 5,953.25). Search listings outside of the city center to find more affordable options. Comparing prices and negotiating can help lower costs.
Cost of Rent (3 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
For a family or group, a 3 bedroom apartment in Mecca costs approximately $1,334.17 – $2,238.01 per month (SAR 4,781.13 – SAR 7,989.75). Consider getting a roommate to split costs. Newer buildings with amenities like a gym, pool, and security tend to be more expensive.
Cost of Utilities (electricity, water) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Expect to budget $85.74 – $256.22 per month (SAR 299.95 – SAR 900.84) for basic utilities like electricity, water, gas, and garbage removal in Mecca. Using less air conditioning when possible can help reduce electric costs.
Cost of Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Phone plans with unlimited data in Mecca typically range from $25.67 – $59.99 per month (SAR 89.94 – SAR 209.54). You can often save money by getting a local SIM card and prepaid plan rather than using your home country phone.
Cost of Internet (wifi) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Expect to pay around $21.50 – $55.77 per month (SAR 75.17 – SAR 196.02) for home internet and wifi in Mecca. Speeds are generally fast enough for streaming and work. Using public wifi when possible can lower costs.
Cost of Food (groceries, dining out, Local Saudi Arabian (Saudi) Food) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Food costs can vary widely in Mecca, ranging from $171.76 – $857.89 per month (SAR 599.68 – SAR 3,032.85) depending on lifestyle. Groceries at local markets and supermarkets are quite affordable. Local Saudi cuisine like kabsa, shawarma, and hummus are budget-friendly.
Cost of Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Getting around Mecca can cost anywhere from $68.53 – $857.89 per month (SAR 239.87 – SAR 3,032.85). Public buses and metro are the cheapest options. Taxis are very affordable. Renting a car or scooter provides convenience but adds expenses.
Cost of Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Maintaining an active lifestyle in Mecca costs around $42.86 – $429.20 per month (SAR 149.87 – SAR 1,512.39). Public parks offer free outdoor fitness options. Reasonably priced gyms and yoga studios are plentiful. Massages are very affordable.
Cost of Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Cigna Global and Local options) in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Budget $45 – $244.84 per month (SAR 140.14 – SAR 863.49) for health insurance in Mecca. International providers like SafetyWing and WorldNomads offer basic coverage starting under $50 per month. For comprehensive coverage, local Saudi insurance tends to be more affordable than international plans.
Total Cost Of Living In Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia:
The total cost of living per month in Mecca (Makkah) ranges from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month. With affordable housing and food costs, Mecca can be quite livable on a modest budget. Careful planning allows enjoying the city’s amenities and culture on a moderate income.
Here are some additional tips for reducing your cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Live outside of the city center.
- Cook at home instead of eating out and get groceries from the local markets and supermarkets.
- Take advantage of public transportation.
- Get a health insurance plan that covers international travel.
- Be mindful of your spending and track your expenses.
- By following these tips, you can save money and live comfortably in Mecca Saudi Arabia.
A great monthly budget for a single person living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is around $1,050 to $3,000 monthly.
The Cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia table below is an extensive poll of Digital Nomads, Expats, travelers, our personal experience living here, Locals, and Numbeo users who were used to put this table together.
Table of expenses Breakdown for the cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia per month:
|Cost of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia Breakdown||Cost Range in USD ($)||Cost Range in SAR (﷼)|
|Cost of Rent (Studio apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$514.50 – $797.20||SAR 1,789.98 – SAR 2,986.52|
|Cost of Rent (1 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$668.13 – $1,114.84||SAR 2,382.89 – SAR 3,980.06|
|Cost of Rent (2 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$1,001.97 – $1,672.23||SAR 2,760.06 – SAR 5,953.25|
|Cost of Rent (3 bedroom apartment) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$1,334.17 – $2,238.01||SAR 4,781.13 – SAR 7,989.75|
|Cost of Utilities (electricity, water) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$85.74 – $256.22||SAR 299.95 – SAR 900.84|
|Cost of Mobile phone (unlimited data plan, Sim Card) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$25.67 – $59.99||SAR 89.94 – SAR 209.54|
|Cost of Internet (wifi) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$21.50 – $55.77||SAR 75.17 – SAR 196.02|
|Cost of Food (groceries, dining out, Local Saudi Arabian (Saudi) Food) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$171.76 – $857.89||SAR 599.68 – SAR 3,032.85|
|Cost of Transportation (Public transport, Taxi, Scooter, car) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$68.53 – $857.89||SAR 239.87 – SAR 3,032.85|
|Cost of Healthy activities (gym, martial arts, yoga, massages) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$42.86 – $429.20||SAR 149.87 – SAR 1,512.39|
|Cost of Health insurance (SafetyWing, World Nomads, or Cigna Global and Local options) in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$45 – $244.84||SAR 140.14 – SAR 863.49|
|Total Cost Of Living In Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia||$1,007.49 – $5,009.92||SAR 3,523.64 – SAR 17,597.58|
The Exchange Rate is $1 USD is currently equal to 3.75 SAR (SAR) This estimate is based on a Strict Budget Vs. A luxury Budget in Mecca Saudi Arabia per Month! The Cost Of Living In Mecca Saudi Arabia makes it possible to Live For $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month or more, depending on your spending habits! Check out the Currency Converter.
Here is the Table of the monthly Cost of living Per Person in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Cost of Living Per Person in Mecca Saudi Arabia||Cost of Living (Monthly) in USD ($)||Cost of Living (Monthly) in SAR (﷼)|
|Cost of Living for a Single Person in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$839.70 – $2,827.79||SAR 3,143.69 – SAR 10,664.18|
|Cost of Living as a Couple in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$1,494.24 – $4,226.31||SAR 5,598.67 – SAR 15,865.10|
|Cost of Living for a Family of Four in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$2,955.09 – $7,542.81||SAR 11,077.55 – SAR 28,096.79|
Average Cost of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia: Table of Expenses
|Average Cost of Living Expenses in Mecca Saudi Arabia||Estimated Cost Range in USD||Estimated Cost Range in SAR|
|Average monthly rent for a studio||$514.30 – $1,287.50||SAR 1,929.90 – SAR 4,788.45|
|The average monthly cost for food and groceries||$171.76 – $429.20||SAR 642.14 – SAR 1,675.11|
|The average monthly cost of utilities||$85.87 – $254.82||SAR 320.26 – SAR 1,049.33|
|The average monthly cost of transportation||$68.53 – $857.80||SAR 256.13 – SAR 3,245.26|
|The total average monthly cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$838.12 – $2,833.78||SAR 3,141.43 – SAR 10,664.90|
|Cost of Living Expenses in Mecca Saudi Arabia||Average Monthly Cost (USD)||Average Monthly Cost (SAR)|
|Rent and Accommodation||$514.06 – $1,713.42||SAR 1,928.11 – SAR 6,400.83|
|Food and Groceries||$171.54 – $857.80||SAR 644.00 – SAR 3,212.33|
|Utilities||$85.81 – $257.28||SAR 318.04 – SAR 963.94|
|Public Transportation||$25.70 – $51.44||SAR 95.90 – SAR 190.94|
|Private Transportation (car ownership, fuel, etc.)||$171.54 – $857.80||SAR 644.00 – SAR 3,212.33|
|Healthcare||$45 – $257.28||SAR 144.89 – SAR 963.94|
|Entertainment||$85.81 – $257.28||SAR 318.04 – SAR 963.94|
|Clothing and Personal Items||$42.86 – $128.93||SAR 160.17 – SAR 482.69|
|Activities and Excursions||$42.86 – $128.93||SAR 160.17 – SAR 482.69|
Cost of Housing and Rent In Mecca Saudi Arabia In-Depth Summary And Table of Expenses
From a budget-friendly studio apartment or a luxurious 3-bedroom apartment in Mecca, we’ve compiled the most detailed information on monthly rent costs in Mecca in both US dollars (USD) and Saudi Arabian Riyals (SAR).
Here is a breakdown of the average Cost of Rent And Housing in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Cost of a Studio Apartment in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
Renting a studio apartment in Mecca city costs approximately $496.49 – $828.38 per month, which is SAR 1,849.59 – SAR 3,102.60. These compact units provide decent living spaces for singles or couples. Most studios range from 300-500 sq ft with a combined living/sleeping area, kitchenette and bathroom.
Many are furnished and have amenities like gyms, pools, and parking. Location and amenities affect pricing.
Cost of a Studio Apartment outside Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
Studios outside central Mecca tend to be more affordable, averaging $331.26 – $607.53 per month or SAR 1,244.18 – SAR 2,281.79. They provide cheaper housing options in the suburbs and neighboring communities. Units are small but modern with basic furnishings and appliances.
Some buildings offer facilities like laundromats and mini markets. Commuting costs need consideration.
Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
One bedroom apartments in Mecca city rent for approximately $661.48 – $1,103.83 per month, equal to SAR 2,475.91 – SAR 4,136.64. These units have a bedroom and living area, providing more space for singles or couples.
Sizes range from 500-850 sq ft. Many one bedrooms have modern interiors and building amenities. Location and views impact pricing.
Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment outside Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
In suburban areas, one bedroom units cost around $441.50 – $767.98 per month, or SAR 1,656.67 – SAR 2,893.51. They provide affordable options in outer neighborhoods and towns near Mecca.
Apartments tend to be simple but functional with basic kitchens and living areas around 500-700 sq ft. Some buildings have shared facilities like gyms and pools.
Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
Two bedroom apartments in Mecca rent for approximately $993.13 – $1,655.69 per month, equal to SAR 3,729.97 – SAR 6,205.23. These accommodate couples, roommates and small families with two bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms, and 700-1,200 sq ft of space.
Many are lavishly furnished with upscale facilities. Prime locations command premium pricing.
Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment outside Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
In outlying areas, two bedroom apartments average $661.48 – $1,103.83 per month, or SAR 2,475.91 – SAR 4,136.64. They offer affordable options in the suburbs with essential furnishings and appliances. Average sizes range from 700-1,000 sq ft.
Some buildings have shared amenities like pools, gyms and play areas. Location affects pricing.
Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
Three bedroom apartments in Mecca typically cost $1,324.47 – $2,193.03 per month, equal to SAR 4,919.27 – SAR 8,264.33. These spacious 1,000-1,500 sq ft units have 3 bedrooms, multiple bathrooms, living and dining rooms. Many are luxuriously furnished and have first-class amenities.
Location in prime districts commands higher rents.
Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment outside Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
In outlying areas, prices for three bedroom apartments average $883.02 – $1,654.29 per month, or SAR 3,290.61 – SAR 7,068.86. These larger units cater to bigger families with 1,000-1,400 sq ft of living space. While not as upscale as city units, they provide affordability and comfort.
Some buildings offer facilities like play areas, pools and fitness centers.
Cost of a Luxury Apartment in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
Luxury apartments in prime Mecca districts rent for $1,655.69 – $3,852.50 per month, equal to SAR 6,151.80 – SAR 14,506.55. These exclusive properties have designer interiors, elite amenities like gyms and pools, and attentive concierge service.
Sizes range from 1,200-2,000+ sq ft. Luxury units appeal to high-end lifestyles.
Cost of a Luxury Apartment outside Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia
In suburban communities outside Mecca, luxury apartments cost approximately $1,157.54 – $2,696.31 per month or SAR 4,340.10 – SAR 10,512.26. While not as extravagant as city apartments, they have upscale facilities and furnishings.
Average sizes range 1,000-1,500 sq ft. Gated compounds with amenities are popular options.
Monthly Cost Of Rent and Housing in Mecca Saudi Arabia: Table of Expenses in 2023
|Cost of Rent and Housing in Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia||Monthly Rent Cost (USD)||Monthly Rent Cost (SAR)|
|Cost of a Studio Apartment in the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$496.49 – $828.38||SAR 1,849.59 – SAR 3,102.60|
|Cost of a Studio Apartment outside the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$331.26 – $607.53||SAR 1,244.18 – SAR 2,281.79|
|Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$661.48 – $1,103.83||SAR 2,475.91 – SAR 4,136.64|
|Cost of a 1 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$441.50 – $767.98||SAR 1,656.67 – SAR 2,893.51|
|Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$993.13 – $1,655.69||SAR 3,729.97 – SAR 6,205.23|
|Cost of a 2 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$661.48 – $1,103.83||SAR 2,475.91 – SAR 4,136.64|
|Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment in the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$1,324.47 – $2,193.03||SAR 4,919.27 – SAR 8,264.33|
|Cost of a 3 Bedroom Apartment outside the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$883.02 – $1,654.29||SAR 3,290.61 – SAR 7,068.86|
|Cost of a Luxury Apartment in the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$1,655.69 – $3,852.50||SAR 6,151.80 – SAR 14,506.55|
|Cost of a Luxury Apartment outside the City of Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$1,157.54 – $2,696.31||SAR 4,340.10 – SAR 10,512.26|
Here is a table of expenses for the Cost of rent and Accommodation in Mecca Saudi Arabia per month:
|Average Monthly Cost of Rent in Mecca Saudi Arabia||Average Monthly Rent Cost (USD)||Average Monthly Rent Cost (SAR)|
|Studio Apartment inside the city center||$501.08 – $835.61||SAR 1,869.76 – SAR 3,148.73|
|Studio apartment outside the city||$334.98 – $613.28||SAR 1,256.08 – SAR 2,305.92|
|Shared room in the city center||$278.82 – $501.08||SAR 1,040.37 – SAR 1,870.37|
|A shared room outside the city||$167.90 – $389.54||SAR 630.91 – SAR 1,464.40|
|Hotel room (3-star, per day)||$44.62 – $132.92||SAR 167.34 – SAR 497.43|
|Hotel room (5-star, per day)||$111.84 – $334.98||SAR 419.08 – SAR 1,257.57|
|1 bedroom apartment in the city center||$669.16 – $1,116.38||SAR 2,506.19 – SAR 4,166.86|
|1 bedroom apartment outside the city||$446.14 – $776.87||SAR 1,671.80 – SAR 2,918.45|
|2-bedroom apartment inside the city||$1,002.38 – $1,672.64||SAR 3,762.71 – SAR 6,274.57|
|2-bedroom apartment outside the city||$669.16 – $1,116.38||SAR 2,506.19 – SAR 4,166.86|
|3-bedroom apartment inside the city||$1,338.56 – $2,217.73||SAR 5,008.44 – SAR 8,344.55|
|3-bedroom apartment outside the city||$895.18 – $1,672.64||SAR 3,334.91 – SAR 6,401.38|
|Luxury Apartment||$1,672.64 – $3,898.51||SAR 6,206.47 – SAR 14,693.28|
Tips for finding affordable accommodation in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Commence Your Search Early:
- Explore out of the city Districts: research suburbs of the main city mecca.
- Research Local Rental Platforms in Saudi Arabia:
- Connect with Mecca Residents: Join local social media groups and forums specific to Mecca to connect with locals and gain valuable insights and advice on finding affordable housing options in the city.
- Consider Co-living Spaces: Explore shared housing or co-living arrangements within Mecca to save on rent and utility expenses while fostering a strong sense of community.
- Engage in Rent Negotiations: Don’t hesitate to initiate conversations with property owners, especially if you plan to stay in Mecca for an extended period. Negotiations can often lead to more favorable rental terms.
- Student Housing for Educational Pursuits: If you’re a student, inquire about housing options offered by universities and educational institutions in Mecca. These accommodations are tailored to student needs and may provide cost-effective solutions.
- Explore Short-Term Rental Opportunities: Investigate short-term rental options or subletting possibilities in Mecca for increased flexibility and potential cost savings, particularly if your stay is relatively brief.
- Plan Ahead: Conduct thorough research and plan your housing arrangements well in advance of your arrival in Mecca. This proactive approach will help you make informed decisions and secure the best housing options available.
- Review and Testimonials: Prioritize accommodations with positive feedback from previous residents to ensure a pleasant and trouble-free stay in Mecca. Reviews can provide valuable insights into the quality and reliability of your chosen housing.
- To save money on your rental and daily expenses, consider looking for an apartment located in a neighborhood with access to local markets, gyms, and restaurants within short walking distances, and also make sure these are safe areas too.
- You can also join Facebook groups such as “Digital Nomads in Mecca Saudi Arabia”, “Expats in Mecca Saudi Arabia” and Mecca Saudi Arabia rental groups on Facebook to connect with others and potentially find affordable rental options.
- Alternatively, consider staying at a Hostel, Airbnb, hotel monthly, homestay, guesthouse, or bed and breakfast in Mecca Saudi Arabia for more affordable rates rather than a costly hotel or tourist location you can also ask around with locals and find a cheaper apartment that isn’t listed on websites.
Here are the sources for local rental websites in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Where to Stay in Mecca Saudi Arabia: Best Areas and Neighborhoods In Mecca Saudi Arabia
Here are some of the best areas, cities, and neighborhoods to live in in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Al Aziziyah is known as one of the best areas to live in Mecca due to its peaceful residential atmosphere and proximity to the Holy Mosque. Typical monthly rents range from $400 – $700 or SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625 for apartments and villas.
The area has easy access to amenities like grocery stores, restaurants, and shops. Public transportation options are available nearby. The community is quiet and tranquil, perfect for families and those wanting to live near the mosque.
Al Maabdah offers a mix of residential and commercial spaces with good transportation connectivity. Average monthly rents are $350 – $600 or SAR 1,312 – SAR 2,250. The area has apartments, townhouses, and villas in various price ranges.
Residents enjoy close access to the train station, metro, and bus routes. Amenities like supermarkets, clinics, retail stores are conveniently located nearby. Al Maabdah provides an affordable living option.
Al Faisaliyah is a vibrant, cosmopolitan neighborhood with many housing choices. Typical rents range from $500 – $900 per month or SAR 1,875 – SAR 3,375. The area has high-rise apartments, furnished flats, villas and townhouses suiting different budgets.
Residents can enjoy the neighborhood’s thriving restaurant scene and cultural attractions. The area is best suited for those looking for an energetic, urban lifestyle.
Al Aziziyah is appreciated for its peaceful, family-friendly atmosphere. Average monthly rents are $400 – $700 or SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625. Numerous parks, schools, mosques, and shops can be found in the area. Community events and activities are regularly held.
The neighborhood provides a calm, wholesome environment to raise a family near the city center. Healthcare facilities are also conveniently accessible.
Al Mesfalah is a historic central district blending tradition with modern living. Typical rents range from $350 – $600 per month or SAR 1,312 – SAR 2,250. Traditional homes and architecture coexist alongside new residential towers.
The area has markets, eateries, and art galleries that reflect its rich cultural heritage. Al Mesfalah offers an authentic local experience with modern amenities.
Al Nozha has a range of apartments and villas with average monthly rents of $450 – $800 or SAR 1,687 – SAR 3,000. The district has high-end furnished units along with more affordable options.
Residents can enjoy amenities like mosques, parks, restaurants, cafes and shopping malls close by. Al Nozha is best suited for those looking for convenience, dining variety and an active social atmosphere.
Al Mansour is a dynamic commercial district with shopping malls, entertainment venues and lively crowds. Typical monthly rents are $550 – $1,000 or SAR 2,062 – SAR 3,750. Luxury high-rises offer full amenities alongside affordable residential compounds.
The neighborhood suits young professionals and families wanting to live in a thriving urban hub. Amenities for modern living abound in the area.
Al Hamra offers luxury living with upscale residential towers, compounds and villas. Average monthly rents range from $800 – $1,500 or SAR 3,000 – SAR 5,625. The area has a sophisticated ambience with five-star hotels and fine dining.
The district appeals to those wanting high-end housing with premium amenities and facilities. Al Hamra’s exclusive atmosphere attracts the affluent.
With relatively affordable rents from $400 – $700 or SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625, Al Aziziyah offers decent housing close to malls, restaurants and public transit. Mix of apartments and shared compounds available.
The area suits middle-income residents looking for reasonably priced accommodations and amenities. Offers good value for money.
Al Shisha is appreciated for its family-friendly vibe with many parks, events and recreational spaces. Typical monthly rents range from $450 – $800 or SAR 1,687 – SAR 3,000. Variety of apartments, villas and townhouses with community facilities.
Great option for raising kids with play areas and schools nearby. Good neighborhood spirit and community activities.
Table of Best Neighborhoods and Best Areas To Live in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Best Neighborhoods and Best Areas To Live in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Description||Avg Monthly Rent (USD)||Avg Monthly Rent (SAR)||Additional Information|
|Al Aziziyah||A peaceful residential area known for its proximity to the Holy Mosque.||$400 – $700||SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625||Close to shopping and dining.|
|Al Maabdah||Offers a mix of residential and commercial spaces. Close to amenities and transportation options.||$350 – $600||SAR 1,312 – SAR 2,250||Good access to public transit.|
|Al Faisaliyah||A vibrant neighborhood with a variety of housing options.||$500 – $900||SAR 1,875 – SAR 3,375||Cultural and dining attractions.|
|Al Aziziyah||Known for its peaceful atmosphere and family-friendly environment.||$400 – $700||SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625||Close to parks and schools.|
|Al Mesfalah||Historic area with a blend of tradition and modern living.||$350 – $600||SAR 1,312 – SAR 2,250||Rich cultural heritage.|
|Al Nozha||Offers a mix of apartments and villas.||$450 – $800||SAR 1,687 – SAR 3,000||Variety of dining options.|
|Al Mansour||A bustling neighborhood with shopping malls and entertainment venues.||$550 – $1,000||SAR 2,062 – SAR 3,750||Lively and dynamic.|
|Al Hamra||Known for its upscale living and luxury apartments.||$800 – $1,500||SAR 3,000 – SAR 5,625||High-end residential area.|
|Al Aziziyah||Offers a mix of housing and close proximity to shopping and dining options.||$400 – $700||SAR 1,500 – SAR 2,625||Relatively affordable.|
|Al Shisha||A family-oriented neighborhood with a range of amenities.||$450 – $800||SAR 1,687 – SAR 3,000||Parks and recreational areas.|
Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia Credible Reliable Sources With Tourism, Data, Government
Here is a list of local apartment rental websites, Government resources for Visas, Facebook Groups, Tourism Boards, and more to help you with your potential move here!
I hope this can help you as you plan your move here!
Saudi Arabia Expat Facebook Groups:
Saudi Arabia Tourism:
Saudi Arabia Data:
- Our World in Data – Saudi Arabia
- World Bank Data – Saudi Arabia
- Wikivoyage – Saudi Arabia
- World Data Info – Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Embassy:
Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia Local Websites:
For exchanging money use Wise Which is the Best Option if you are a digital nomad and Expat. a cheaper solution to send, spend and receive money internationally rather than exchanging money through other platforms like Paypal, Payoneer cost a lot of money for exchange fees and rates
- Booking Flights: To Find insane flight deals, search on Google Flights, Skyscanner and choose the monthly option to find the best day to fly on.
Cost Of Transportation In Mecca Saudi Arabia Summary and Table of Expenses
The cost of Transportation in Mecca Saudi Arabia can cost around $95 – $1000 per month as you can get around well with public transportation, Bicycle, Renting a Scooter/Motorcycle, Renting a car, Taking the metro, Bus, and Trains.
Cost Of Makkah Metro In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
The Makkah Metro is a modern, convenient and affordable way to get around Mecca. It has two lines that serve key areas like the Grand Mosque, the central area, and important pilgrimage sites. A single metro ride costs about $1.37 or SAR 5.
If you ride the metro daily, you can expect to spend around $34.25 or SAR 128 per month. The metro is operated by the Makkah Mass Rail Transit Company and has made moving around the city much easier.
Cost Of Mecca City Buses In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Mecca has an extensive network of public buses managed by SAPTCO. Buses serve major roads and connect various neighborhoods across the city. Fares are extremely cheap at just $0.27 or SAR 1 per ride. For daily commuters, monthly bus passes cost approximately $6.82 or SAR 25.5.
Buses can get crowded but provide an affordable way to travel long distances within Mecca.
Cost Of Mecca Taxis In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Taxis are readily available for hire in Mecca. Fares start at $2.73 or SAR 10 for short trips, going up to $5.46 or SAR 20 for longer distances. Various private companies operate taxis in the city. If you take taxis every day, expect to spend $68.25 – $136.5 or SAR 255 – SAR 510 per month.
Taxis provide a comfortable door-to-door option. Be sure to negotiate the fare before getting in.
Cost Of Ridesharing Services In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
On-demand rideshare services like Uber and Careem operate extensively in Mecca. Trips cost $2.73 – $8.19 or SAR 10 – SAR 30 depending on distance and demand. For daily commuters, monthly spending on rideshares can range from $68.25 – $204.75 or SAR 255 – SAR 765.
These services offer greater convenience and safety compared to taxis.
Cost Of Rental Cars In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Car rental agencies like Avis, Budget, Hertz and local firms offer daily and monthly car rentals in Mecca. Rates range from $46 – $240 per day or SAR 182 – SAR 900 per day for a basic vehicle.
Long term rentals cost $420 – $1,000 per month or SAR 1,500 – SAR 3,750. Renting a car provides the most freedom to explore the Mecca area at your own pace.
Cost Of Intercity Buses In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
SAPTCO and private bus companies operate intercity buses connecting Mecca to other Saudi cities like Jeddah, Medina and Riyadh. Tickets cost approximately $12 – $48 per trip or SAR 60 – SAR 180 depending on distance. Intercity buses are an economical transportation choice for long distance travel.
Cost Of Domestic Flights In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Saudia, Flynas and other local carriers offer domestic flights between Mecca and major Saudi cities. Fares range from $95 – $480 per ticket or SAR 360 to SAR 1,800 depending on destination and dates. Flying domestically is much faster than ground transport for long journeys.
Cost Of Haramain High Speed Railway In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
The Haramain High Speed Rail links Mecca to Medina via Jeddah and King Abdullah Economic City. Tickets cost $16 – $32 per person or SAR 60 to SAR 120 for the one-way trip. With speeds up to 300 km/h, the train offers a comfortable high-speed option for travel between the holy cities.
Cost Of Bicycle Rentals In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Various shops rent out bicycles by the hour or day in Mecca for $4 – $16 per day or SAR 15 – SAR 60 daily. If you own a bike, cycling around the city is free. For regular riders, budget $80 – $160 per month or SAR 300 – SAR 600 on bicycle rentals to explore Mecca in an eco-friendly manner.
Cost Of Scooter Rentals In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Electric and gas scooters can be rented from multiple agencies in Mecca for $16 – $32 per day or SAR 60 – SAR 120 daily. Expect to spend around $160 – $320 per month or SAR 600 – SAR 1,200 for regular scooter rental. Scooters provide effortless short distance transportation.
Cost Of Motorcycle Rentals In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
Motorcycles can be rented hourly or daily from local suppliers in Mecca. Rates range from $32 – $64 per day or SAR 120 – SAR 240 depending on engine size. For frequent riders, budget $160 – $640 per month or SAR 600 – SAR 2,400 for motorcycle rental. Motorcycles allow easy mobility while avoiding traffic.
Here is a table of all estimated costs of the transportation options in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Transportation Options In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Description||Cost (USD)||Cost (SAR)||Monthly Cost (USD)||Monthly Cost (SAR)||Service Provider|
|Metro||Modern metro system with 2 lines||$1.37||SAR 5||$34.25||SAR 128||Makkah Mass Rail Transit Company|
|Bus||Public city buses||$0.27||SAR 1||$6.82||SAR 25.5||SAPTCO|
|Taxi||Local taxis for hire||$2.73 – $5.46||SAR 10 – SAR 20||$68.25 – $136.5||SAR 255 – SAR 510||Various companies|
|Rideshare||On-demand car services like Uber/Careem||$2.73 – $8.19||SAR 10 – SAR 30||$68.25 – $204.75||SAR 255 – SAR 765||Uber, Careem|
|Rental Car||Car rental agencies||$46 – $240 per day||SAR 182 – SAR 900 per day||$420 – $1,000||SAR 1,500 – SAR 3,750||Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc|
|Intercity Bus||Buses between cities||$12 – $48 per ticket||SAR 60 – SAR 180 per ticket||N/A||N/A||SAPTCO|
|Domestic Flights||Flights within Saudi Arabia||$95 – $480 per ticket||SAR 360 – SAR 1,800 per ticket||N/A||N/A||Saudia, Flynas|
|High-Speed Rail||Haramain high-speed railway||$16 – $32 per ticket||SAR 60 – SAR 120 per ticket||N/A||N/A||Haramain Railway|
|Bicycle Rental||Rent bicycles by hour/day. Free if you own a bike||$4 – $16 per day||SAR 15 – SAR 60 per day||$80 – $160||SAR 300 – SAR 600||Various rental shops|
|Scooter Rental||Rent electric or gas scooters||$16 – $32 per day||SAR 60 – SAR 120 per day||$160 – $320||SAR 600 – SAR 1,200||Various rental agencies|
|Motorcycle Rental||Rent motorcycles by hour or day||$32 – $64 per day||SAR 120 – SAR 240 per day||$160 – $640||SAR 600 – SAR 2,400||Various rental agencies|
Additionally, here are some other related expenses:
- Gasoline (1 gallon): around $2 – $3 per gallon.
Monthly Cost Of Gas and Petrol For Scooters and Cars in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Monthly Cost Of Gas and Petrol For Scooters and Cars in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||Cost in USD||Cost in SAR (﷼)|
|The average monthly cost for gasoline, petrol for scooters and cars in Mecca Saudi Arabia||$97 – $200||SAR 370 – SAR 750|
For more information check out the Government Of transportation in Mecca Saudi Arabia.
Here are some reliable sources for information on transportation in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Public Buses in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Saudi Public Transport Company (SAPTCO) – Government owned bus service providing public transportation between cities and within Mecca.
Metro Trains in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Saudi Railway Company (SAR) – Government agency overseeing national railway infrastructure projects.
Gasoline Prices in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Roads and Highways in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Ministry of Transport – Government ministry managing roads, highways, bridges, and toll roads.
Cost of Food and Markets In Mecca (Makkah) Saudi Arabia Explained: Table Of Expenses 2023
The cost of food in Mecca Saudi Arabia can range from Affordable Grocery Shopping in Saudi Supermarkets Like Carrefour, Lulu and local markets to fine dining restaurants.
Here is the Breakdown for the cost of food in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Cost of Local food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Eating local food in Mecca can cost between $137.04 – $272.21 per month, which is SAR 514.25 – SAR 1,021.56. This covers simple local dishes like kabsa, mandi, haneeth, and mujadara that you can find at small local restaurants and food stalls.
Opting for local food is a budget-friendly way to experience authentic Saudi cuisine in Mecca. You’ll find flavorful rice dishes, meat stews, flatbreads, and vegetable curries that won’t break the bank.
Cost of Mid-range restaurants in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Dining at mid-range restaurants in Mecca will cost approximately $272.96 – $453.69 per month, or SAR 1,021.18 – SAR 1,699.41. These restaurants offer good quality food with both local and international cuisine options.
Menu prices are moderate and you can expect to pay around $10-15 per person for a main course. Mid-range restaurants provide nice ambience and attentive service compared to cheaper options. This is a good choice if you want to enjoy decent meals out without overspending.
Cost of Fine dining restaurants in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Fine dining in high-end Mecca restaurants costs around $453.69 – $910.62 per month, which converts to SAR 1,699.41 – SAR 3,415.83. These upscale restaurants have elegant settings and professionally trained chefs preparing exquisite dishes with premium ingredients.
Expect elaborate menus featuring imported seafood, Wagyu beef, foie gras, truffles, and global fusion creations. Fine dining is perfect for special occasions but too expensive for everyday meals. Budget $30-50 per person for dinner at top-tier restaurants.
Cost of Groceries in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Grocery shopping in Mecca will set you back around $182.69 – $364.96 per month, or SAR 685.75 – SAR 1,363.21. This covers basic items like bread, milk, eggs, rice, vegetables, fruit, meat etc. Hypermarkets like Carrefour offer everything you need for daily home cooking.
Shop smart by buying local produce which is very affordable. Imported and specialty ingredients quickly increase the bill. Overall, groceries are reasonably priced in Mecca.
Cost of Supermarkets (imported goods) per item in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Imported goods at Mecca supermarkets range from $1.82 – $4.56 per item, or SAR 6.84 – SAR 17.03. This includes foreign food brands, cheeses, chocolates, packaged goods, spices, condiments, and more.
While imported items are more expensive than local equivalents, the prices remain quite competitive compared to other countries. You can find deals on western products at major supermarkets.
Cost of Street food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Street food like shawarma, falafel, samosas, and other quick bites cost approximately $4.56 – $9.04 per month in Mecca, or SAR 17.03 – SAR 33.89. This cheap street food makes an ideal snack on-the-go.
While hygiene standards may be questionable, the tasty aromas and convenience can be hard to resist! Stalls are found across the city, often near mosques, markets, and bus stations.
Cost of Specialty food stores in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Specialty shops with imported delicacies cost $9.04 – $27.04 per month, or SAR 33.89 – SAR 101.69. These include bakeries, butchers, chocolatiers, cheese shops, and more. You’ll pay a premium but get access to hard-to-find ingredients.
Consider this for an occasional splurge on artisan bread or handmade chocolate rather than daily supplies. Specialty food stores satisfy cravings for foreign flavors.
Overall Monthly Cost of Food in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia
The overall monthly cost of food in Mecca (Makkah) ranges from $228.22 – $910.62, or SAR 856.94 – SAR 3,597.78 per month. This covers everything from street food snacks to high-end restaurants.
You can eat well in Mecca on a modest budget by cooking at home, choosing local eateries, and limiting lavish dining. With a bit of planning, you don’t need to break the bank to enjoy Mecca’s culinary scene.
Here is A Table of Expenses For the Cost of Food In Mecca Saudi Arabia Per Month:
|Cost of Food In Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Monthly Cost in USD||Monthly Cost in SAR (﷼)|
|Cost of Local food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$137.04 – $272.21||SAR 514.25 – SAR 1,021.56|
|Cost of Mid-range restaurants in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$272.96 – $453.69||SAR 1,021.18 – SAR 1,699.41|
|Cost of Fine dining restaurants in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$453.69 – $910.62||SAR 1,699.41 – SAR 3,415.83|
|Cost of Groceries in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$182.69 – $364.96||SAR 685.75 – SAR 1,363.21|
|Cost of Supermarkets (imported goods) per item||$1.82 – $4.56||SAR 6.84 – SAR 17.03|
|Cost of Street food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$4.56 – $9.04||SAR 17.03 – SAR 33.89|
|Cost of Specialty food stores in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$9.04 – $27.04||SAR 33.89 – SAR 101.69|
|Overall Monthly Cost of Food in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||$228.22 – $910.62||SAR 856.94 – SAR 3,597.78|
Here are some tips for reducing the cost of food in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Explore Local Markets for Bargains
- Dive into Mecca’s bustling souks like Bab Al-Majidi and Bab Al-Manara, where you can find fresh produce, spices, and grains at budget-friendly prices. Bargaining is customary, so don’t be shy!
- Opt for Street Food Delights
- Mecca is famous for its mouthwatering street food, such as shawarma, falafel, and koshari. These tasty treats won’t just satisfy your cravings; they’re also gentle on your wallet.
- Set a Food Budget
- Plan your daily or weekly food budget and stick to it. This will help you avoid unnecessary spending and keep your dining costs under control.
- Embrace Local Breakfast Spots
- Skip fancy hotel breakfasts and head to local eateries for a traditional Arabic breakfast experience. You’ll get a taste of Mecca’s culture at a fraction of the price.
- Lunchtime Specials
- Many restaurants in Mecca offer affordable lunchtime specials. Take advantage of these deals, which often include a variety of dishes at reduced prices.
- Share Meals with Friends
- Dining with friends or fellow travelers allows you to split the bill, making dining out more economical. Plus, it’s a great way to try a wider range of dishes.
- Cook Your Own Meals
- If you have access to a kitchen, consider buying ingredients from local markets and preparing your own meals. It’s not only cost-effective but also a fun cultural experience.
- Stay Hydrated with 20 liters of water in Jugs
- Ask Locals for Recommendations
- Strike up conversations with locals and ask for their favorite budget-friendly eateries. You’ll discover hidden gems and insider tips.
- Be Mindful of Portions
- Portions in Mecca can be generous. Before ordering, consider sharing dishes or asking for half portions to prevent food waste and save money.
Table of expenses for the average monthly food and grocery costs in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Average Cost of Food Expenses in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||Monthly Cost Range (USD)||Monthly Cost Range in SAR (﷼)|
|The average monthly cost for groceries and local food||$182.70 – $911.48||SAR 683.69 – SAR 3,415.92|
|The average monthly cost for dining out||$272.96 – $911.48||SAR 1,021.18 – SAR 3,415.92|
|The average monthly cost for miscellaneous food items||$45.34 – $182.70||SAR 172.60 – SAR 683.69|
|The total average monthly cost of food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$228.00 – $911.48||SAR 857.47 – SAR 3,415.92|
Table of The Costs for Food and Groceries in supermarkets in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Cost of Food and Groceries in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||Cost In USD ($)||Cost In SAR (﷼)|
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||$4.56 – $9.05||SAR 18.14 – SAR 35.91|
|Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant||$18.97 – $36.04||SAR 67.55 – SAR 135.67|
|Combo Meal at McDonald’s or Similar||$5.46 – $7.25||SAR 20.61 – SAR 27.32|
|Coke/Pepsi (0.33-liter bottle)||$0.68 – $1.36||SAR 2.74 – SAR 5.43|
|Domestic Beer (0.5-liter draught)||$3.65 – $5.48||SAR 14.60 – SAR 21.92|
|Cappuccino (regular)||$2.28 – $3.65||SAR 9.14 – SAR 14.59|
|Bottled Water (0.33-liter bottle)||$0.22 – $0.46||SAR 0.88 – SAR 1.87|
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||$0.90 – $1.36||SAR 3.63 – SAR 5.43|
|Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 7.29|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 7.29|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||$1.82 – $2.73||SAR 7.29 – SAR 10.91|
|Local Cheese (1kg)||$4.55 – $6.27||SAR 18.19 – SAR 25.07|
|Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless)||$4.55 – $6.27||SAR 18.19 – SAR 25.07|
|Beef Round (1kg)||$9.05 – $13.53||SAR 36.11 – SAR 51.38|
|Apples (1kg)||$1.82 – $3.65||SAR 7.29 – SAR 14.52|
|Banana (1kg)||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 7.29|
|Oranges (1kg)||$1.82 – $2.73||SAR 7.29 – SAR 10.91|
|Tomato (1kg)||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 7.29|
Here is a Table of the Best Local and Traditional Street Food in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Local Traditional Street Food in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||Description||Cost (USD)||Cost in SAR (﷼)|
|Shawarma||Savor the taste of Mecca with thin slices of marinated beef or chicken, grilled to perfection, and wrapped in soft flatbread. Complemented by flavorful sauces, it’s a street food delight.||$1.82 – $2.72||SAR 6.79 – SAR 10.87|
|Falafel||Mecca’s version of falafel is a delightful treat. These deep-fried spheres are crafted from ground chickpeas, aromatic herbs, and spices, often served inside pita bread.||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 6.53|
|Kebabs||Enjoy skewers laden with succulent grilled meat, whether it’s beef, chicken, or lamb. Meticulously seasoned with Mecca’s special blend of spices and paired with soft flatbread.||$1.82 – $3.63||SAR 6.79 – SAR 13.74|
|Mutabbaq||Indulge in Mecca’s flaky pastry filled with a savory blend of spiced meat or vegetables. It’s a delightful turnover or empanada that’s a must-try on Mecca’s streets.||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 6.53|
|Jareesh||Dive into the flavors of Mecca with Jareesh, a cherished Saudi dish featuring crushed wheat. It’s typically served alongside tender meat or creamy yogurt, offering a taste of tradition.||$2.72 – $4.52||SAR 10.17 – SAR 17.02|
|Harees||Harees is a comforting porridge-like creation made from finely ground wheat and meat. It’s a favored choice, especially during the holy month of Ramadan in Mecca.||$1.82 – $3.63||SAR 6.79 – SAR 13.74|
|Samboosa (Samosa)||Mecca’s Samboosa, or Samosa, is a joy to the taste buds. These triangular parcels are packed with spiced meat, vibrant vegetables, or nourishing lentils, and deep-fried to perfection.||$0.90 – $1.82||SAR 3.63 – SAR 6.53|
|Al-Kabsa||Al-Kabsa is a tantalizing rice masterpiece adorned with spiced meat, often chicken or lamb. It mingles harmoniously with vegetables and a symphony of aromatic spices, a Mecca culinary delight.||$4.52 – $6.37||SAR 16.99 – SAR 23.86|
|Shawai Noodles||Dive into Mecca’s fusion cuisine with Shawai Noodles. These stir-fried noodles are entwined with crisp vegetables and tender chicken, all cloaked in a savory sauce. Influenced by Chinese culinary artistry.||$2.72 – $4.52||SAR 10.17 – SAR 16.99|
|Al-Murtabak||Al-Murtabak is a delectable pancake, lovingly stuffed and folded. It conceals a delightful mixture of spiced meat, luscious eggs, and sometimes a medley of vegetables. A Mecca street food classic.||$2.72 – $4.52||SAR 10.17 – SAR 16.99|
Popular Supermarket Chains in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- Bin Dawood Supermarkets
- Tamimi Markets (Al-Danube)
- Panda Supermarket
- Lulu Hypermarket
- Al Sadhan Supermarkets
- Al Raya Supermarket
- Al-Othaim Markets
- United Markets
Popular Local Markets in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- Al Shorfa Market
- Souq Al Zal
- Souq Al Misfalah
- Souq Al Layl
- Souq Al Wakalat
- Souq Al Zayyadiyah
- Souq Al Ajeel
- Souq Al Madinah
- Souq Al Bahar
- Souq Al Khamis
Popular Street Markets in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- Ajyad Street Market
- Abraj Al Bait Mall Street Market
- Ibrahim Al Khalil Street Market
- Aziziyah Street Market
- King Abdul Aziz Road Market
- Al-Masjid an-Nabawi Street Market (in Medina, not Mecca)
- Al Hajlah Street Market
- Aziziyah Souk Street Market
- Al Shisha Street Market
- Al Manar Street Market
Cost of Utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia Summary and Table of Expenses 2023
Here is an estimated monthly cost breakdown of utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia, including electricity, gas, water, internet, and mobile phone services:
Cost of electricity/gas in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
The cost of electricity and gas in Mecca, Saudi Arabia typically ranges from $68.16 to $128.14 USD per month. When converted to Saudi Riyals (SAR), this monthly cost is between SAR 255.79 and SAR 478.74. The main electricity and gas provider in Mecca is the Saudi Electricity Company (SEC).
As you budget your monthly expenses in Mecca, be sure to account for electricity and gas costs within this range from SEC. With high temperatures and substantial air conditioning needs, energy costs may be higher than other areas.
Cost of Water utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
For water utilities in Mecca, you can expect to pay between $8.52 and $25.65 USD per month. Converted to SAR, the monthly cost for water is SAR 34.13 to SAR 97.39. The city’s water supply and billing is handled by the Mecca Water Authority.
When planning your move and living expenses in Mecca, budget for water expenses in this range from the local water authority. As a desert climate, water scarcity is a concern, so be mindful of your usage.
Cost of Garbage Collection in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Garbage collection fees in Mecca typically cost between $8.52 and $17.09 USD per month. In Saudi Riyals, it equates to SAR 34.13 to SAR 62.80.
This utility is provided by the city’s Municipal Services department. When estimating your cost of living in Mecca, include garbage collection within this approximate range. Proper waste disposal is important for keeping the city clean and sanitary for its residents and visitors.
Cost of Internet (ADSL, WiFi) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
For internet access via ADSL or WiFi in Mecca, expect to pay $25.54 to $59.80 USD monthly. This equals SAR 97.50 to SAR 221.63. Major providers include STC, Mobily, Zain, and others.
High-speed internet likely represents a notable portion of your utilities budget in Mecca. Compare plans to find the best internet service for your needs and location in the city. Reliable connectivity is vital for daily life and work in today’s digital age.
Cost of Internet (Fiber Optic, WiFi) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Upgrading to fiber optic internet with WiFi in Mecca costs about $42.68 to $85.25 per month, or SAR 162.54 to SAR 320.31 when converted. The same major providers offer fiber internet plans as well, such as STC, Mobily, and Zain.
The faster speeds and greater bandwidth of fiber optic generally come with a higher price. However, this premium internet service provides superior connectivity for many modern households and businesses.
Cost of Mobile Phone Sim Card (Prepaid) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
For prepaid mobile phone service in Mecca, a standard SIM card costs approximately $4.27 to $8.54 USD monthly. This range converts to SAR 17.06 to SAR 34.10. Major carriers like STC, Mobily and Zain provide prepaid plans.
When budgeting for living expenses and utilities in Mecca, account for the recurring cost of your preferred prepaid mobile service. Top up the SIM as needed to maintain service.
Cost of Mobile Phone Plan (Postpaid) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Postpaid mobile phone plans in Mecca tend to range from $17.06 to $42.69 USD per month. In Saudi Riyal terms, you’ll pay about SAR 62.80 to SAR 162.54.
Postpaid options allow you to roll over unused minutes and data. Review contract terms carefully. The major Saudi carriers all offer postpaid mobile services suitable for different needs.
Cost of Mobile Phone Plan (Unlimited) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
For unlimited data and minutes on a postpaid mobile plan in Mecca, expect monthly fees around $42.69 to $85.25 in USD. This equals approximately SAR 162.54 to SAR 320.31. While pricier, unlimited plans provide peace of mind for frequent mobile users.
You can call, text, and browse without caps or overage charges. If your smartphone usage is high, an unlimited plan may be worth the premium cost.
Total Cost of Utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
In summary, the total cost of utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, including electricity/gas, water, garbage collection, internet, and mobile services, Ranges from $174.86 to $360.43 in USD or SAR 665.09 to SAR 1582.96 in SAR Per Month.
Table of Monthly Cost Of Utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Monthly Cost of Utilities in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Monthly Cost (USD)||Monthly Cost in SAR (﷼)||Service Provider|
|Cost of electricity/gas in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$68.16 – $128.14||SAR 255.79 – SAR 478.74||SEC|
|Cost of Water utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$8.52 – $25.65||SAR 34.13 – SAR 97.39||Mecca Water Authority|
|Cost of Garbage Collection in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$8.52 – $17.09||SAR 34.13 – SAR 62.80||Municipal Services|
|Cost of Internet (ADSL, WiFi) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$25.54 – $59.80||SAR 97.50 – SAR 221.63||STC, Mobily, Zain, and Others|
|Cost of Internet (Fiber Optic, WiFi) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$42.68 – $85.25||SAR 162.54 – SAR 320.31||STC, Mobily, Zain, and Others|
|Cost of Mobile Phone Sim Card (Prepaid) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$4.27 – $8.54||SAR 17.06 – SAR 34.10||STC, Mobily, Zain, and Others|
|Cost of Mobile Phone Plan (Postpaid) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$17.06 – $42.69||SAR 62.80 – SAR 162.54||STC, Mobily, Zain, and Others|
|Cost of Mobile Phone Plan (Unlimited) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$42.69 – $85.25||SAR 162.54 – SAR 320.31||STC, Mobily, Zain, and Others|
|Total Cost of Utilities in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||$174.86 – $360.43||SAR 665.09 – SAR 1582.96|
Here are some reliable sources for utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia, including electricity, water, mobile phone plans, and internet WiFi:
- Average monthly bill for a 3-bedroom apartment in Mecca: 294 – 500 SAR ($75 – 130 USD)
- Saudi Electricity Company Tariff Rates
- Average monthly bill for a family of 4 in Mecca: 200 – 300 SAR ($53 – 80 USD)
- National Water Company Bill Payment
- Mobile Phone (Unlimited data):
- Stc Infinite Premium Plan in Mecca: 301 SAR/month ($81 USD)
- Stc Postpaid Packages
- Mobily Unlimited Extra Plan in Mecca: 277 SAR/month ($70 USD)
- Internet (Unlimited data):
- STC VIVA Home Internet in Mecca: 334 SAR/month ($92 USD) for 100Mbps
- STC Home Internet Packages
- Mobily Home Internet in Mecca: 352 SAR/month ($94 USD) for 200Mbps
Pros and Cons of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia: Is it the Right Choice for You?
Mecca Saudi Arabia is an incredible city to Live in; here are the pros and cons of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Pros of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia:
- Affordable Cost of Living: Mecca offers a relatively lower cost of living compared to other major cities in Saudi Arabia, making it more budget-friendly for residents.
- Spiritual Significance: Mecca is the holiest city in Islam, providing residents with a unique spiritual atmosphere and opportunities for religious activities.
- Diverse Culinary Scene: Enjoy a wide variety of Middle Eastern and international cuisines, from street food to fine dining, offering a delightful culinary experience.
- Cultural Richness: Mecca’s rich cultural heritage, reflected in its architecture, art, and traditions, offers residents a unique sense of history and identity.
- Employment Opportunities: The city’s growing economy, driven by religious tourism, offers job opportunities in various sectors, particularly in the hospitality industry.
- Educational Institutions: Mecca hosts several reputable universities and educational institutions, providing quality education options for residents.
- Healthcare Facilities: Access to modern healthcare facilities and hospitals is readily available, ensuring residents have access to quality medical services.
- Multicultural Community: Mecca is home to a diverse community of people from various nationalities and backgrounds, fostering a multicultural environment.
- Transportation Infrastructure: The city has an efficient transportation system, including buses and taxis, making it easy to get around and explore the city.
Cons of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia:
- Extreme Weather: Mecca experiences scorching temperatures during the summer, which can be challenging to endure.
- Strict Social Norms: The city adheres to conservative Islamic traditions, which may limit personal freedoms and social activities for some residents.
- Limited Entertainment Options: Entertainment options in Mecca are limited due to its religious significance, with fewer recreational activities available.
- Crowded During Hajj: Mecca can become extremely crowded and congested during the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which may disrupt daily life.
- Traffic Congestion: Mecca often experiences heavy traffic congestion, especially during peak pilgrimage seasons, leading to long commute times.
- Housing Costs: While the cost of living is generally affordable, housing costs can be relatively high in some areas, especially near the holy sites.
- Language Barrier: The primary language spoken is Arabic, and expatriates may face challenges in communication if they do not speak the language.
- Limited Entertainment Options: Due to religious restrictions, there are fewer entertainment venues, such as cinemas and theaters, in Mecca.
- Limited Nightlife: Mecca has strict regulations on nightlife, and alcohol is prohibited, resulting in a quieter nightlife scene.
Pros And Cons of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia Table Comparison:
|Pros of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Cons of Living in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia|
|– Affordable Cost of Living: Mecca offers a more budget-friendly cost of living compared to other major cities in Saudi Arabia, making it economically advantageous for residents.||– Extreme Weather Conditions: Mecca experiences scorching temperatures during the summer, creating challenging living conditions.|
|– Spiritual Significance: Mecca is the holiest city in Islam, providing residents with a unique spiritual environment and opportunities for religious practices.||– Strict Adherence to Social Norms: The city follows conservative Islamic traditions, which can limit personal freedoms and social activities for some residents.|
|– Culinary Diversity: Enjoy a wide variety of Middle Eastern and international cuisines, from street food to fine dining, offering a rich culinary experience.||– Limited Entertainment Choices: Due to its religious importance, Mecca has fewer entertainment options and recreational activities available.|
|– Cultural Richness: Mecca boasts a rich cultural heritage, evident in its architecture, art, and traditions, offering residents a deep sense of history and identity.||– Overcrowding During Hajj: Mecca can become densely populated and congested during the annual Hajj pilgrimage, impacting daily life.|
|– Employment Opportunities: The city’s growing economy, driven by religious tourism, provides job prospects across various sectors, particularly in the hospitality industry.||– Traffic Congestion: Mecca often grapples with heavy traffic congestion, especially during peak pilgrimage seasons, leading to lengthy commutes.|
|– Educational Institutions: Mecca hosts several esteemed universities and educational institutions, ensuring quality education options for residents.||– Housing Costs: While the overall cost of living is reasonable, housing expenses can be relatively high in specific areas, especially near the holy sites.|
|– Healthcare Facilities: Access to modern healthcare facilities and hospitals is readily available, guaranteeing residents access to quality medical services.||– Language Barrier: Arabic is the primary language, and those who do not speak it may encounter communication challenges.|
|– Multicultural Community: Mecca is home to a diverse community, comprising people from various nationalities and backgrounds, fostering a multicultural atmosphere.||– Limited Entertainment Venues: Due to religious restrictions, Mecca has fewer entertainment venues such as cinemas and theaters, resulting in a quieter nightlife.|
|– Efficient Transportation: The city boasts an efficient transportation system, including buses and taxis, facilitating easy exploration and commuting.||– Limited Nightlife: Mecca enforces strict regulations on nightlife, with alcohol prohibited, leading to a more subdued nightlife scene.|
Leisure, Activities, and Things to Do in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Here is a list and a table of the 20 best and most popular places and things to do in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Masjid al-Haram (The Grand Mosque): Begin your journey with the iconic Masjid al-Haram, the holiest site in Islam, housing the Kaaba. It’s a spiritual and architectural marvel.
- Tawaf: Join the millions of pilgrims in the mesmerizing act of circumambulating the Kaaba, known as Tawaf, a deeply spiritual experience.
- Safa and Marwah: Walk between the hills of Safa and Marwah, following the footsteps of Hagar in a ritual known as Sa’i, an integral part of Hajj and Umrah.
- Mount Arafat: Visit Mount Arafat, where Prophet Muhammad delivered his Farewell Sermon during Hajj. It’s a place of deep significance and reflection.
- Mina: Experience the spiritual intensity of Mina during the Hajj pilgrimage, where pilgrims camp and perform symbolic rituals.
- Quba Mosque: Explore the serene Quba Mosque, the first mosque in Islam, and partake in prayers at this historic site.
- Jabal al-Noor (Mountain of Light): Climb Jabal al-Noor to reach the Cave of Hira, where the first revelations of the Quran were received by Prophet Muhammad.
- Zamzam Well: Sip from the blessed Zamzam Well, believed to have miraculously appeared for Hagar and her son Ishmael. It’s located within Masjid al-Haram.
- Abraj Al Bait Towers: Admire the towering Abraj Al Bait Towers, which house luxury hotels and a shopping mall, offering panoramic views of the Grand Mosque.
- Al-Masjid an-Nabawi: Journey to nearby Medina to visit Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, the Prophet’s Mosque, a place of immense historical and spiritual significance.
- Qiblatain Mosque: Explore the Qiblatain Mosque, where the direction of Muslim prayer (qibla) changed, and witness the two mihrabs within.
- Uhud Mountain: Hike Uhud Mountain, the site of the Battle of Uhud, and pay homage to the martyrs at the Uhud Martyrs Cemetery.
- Dates Market: Indulge in the finest dates at Mecca’s Dates Market, where you’ll find a wide variety of this local delicacy.
- Al-Hijaz Railway Museum: Discover the history of the Hejaz Railway, a vital transportation link during the Ottoman Empire, at this intriguing museum.
- Souk Al-Zal: Shop for traditional Saudi handicrafts, textiles, and jewelry at Souk Al-Zal, a bustling marketplace filled with local treasures.
- Makkah Mall: Experience modern shopping at Makkah Mall, offering a range of international brands and dining options.
- King Abdul Aziz Endowment Library: Explore the vast collection of Islamic manuscripts and rare books at this renowned library.
- Al Kiswa Factory: Witness the intricate craftsmanship behind the Kaaba’s cover (Kiswa) at the Al Kiswa Factory.
- Al Diyafa Street: Savor delicious Middle Eastern cuisine at Al Diyafa Street, a culinary haven featuring diverse dishes.
- Al-Shubaikha Beach: Relax and enjoy the serene shores of Al-Shubaikha Beach, a tranquil escape from the bustling city.
Table of the 25 best things to do in Mecca Saudi Arabia
|Things to do in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Neighborhood/Area||Cost in USD ($) – Approx.||Cost in SAR (﷼) – Approx.|
|1. Masjid al-Haram||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|2. Tawaf||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|3. Safa and Marwah||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|4. Mount Arafat||Arafat||Free||Free|
|6. Quba Mosque||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|7. Jabal al-Noor (Mountain of Light)||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|8. Zamzam Well||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|9. Abraj Al Bait Towers||Central Mecca||Observation Deck: $25 – $50||94 – 187 ﷼|
|10. Al-Masjid an-Nabawi||Medina||Free||Free|
|11. Qiblatain Mosque||Medina||Free||Free|
|12. Uhud Mountain||Medina||Free||Free|
|13. Dates Market||Central Mecca||Prices Vary||Prices Vary|
|14. Al-Hijaz Railway Museum||Central Mecca||$5 – $10||19 – 37 ﷼|
|15. Souk Al-Zal||Central Mecca||Prices Vary||Prices Vary|
|16. Makkah Mall||Central Mecca||Shopping Costs||Shopping Costs|
|17. King Abdul Aziz Endowment Library||Central Mecca||Free||Free|
|18. Al Kiswa Factory||Central Mecca||Free Factory Tours||Free Factory Tours|
|19. Al Diyafa Street||Central Mecca||Dining Costs||Dining Costs|
|20. Al-Shubaikha Beach||Jeddah Road||Free||Free|
|21. Mecca Shopping Centers||Various||Shopping Costs||Shopping Costs|
|22. Mecca Zoo||Al Nuzha||Admission: $5 – $10||19 – 37 ﷼|
|23. Al Malaa Cemetery||Al Malaa||Free||Free|
|24. Al Adl Street||Central Mecca||Dining and Shopping Costs||Dining and Shopping Costs|
|25. Makkah Clock Tower Museum||Central Mecca||$15 – $30||56 – 112 ﷼|
Click Here for 100s of Tours and Things to do in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
Here are reliable sources for things to do and tourism boards in Mecca, Saudi Arabia:
- Visit Saudi:
Cost of Healthcare in Mecca Saudi Arabia
Here are some key aspects of Mecca Saudi Arabia’s public healthcare system:
- Universal Healthcare Coverage: Mecca, Saudi Arabia, offers universal healthcare coverage to its citizens and residents, ensuring access to essential medical services.
- Quality Medical Facilities: The city boasts state-of-the-art medical facilities equipped with advanced technology and highly trained healthcare professionals.
- Primary Care Centers: Mecca features a network of primary care centers, making it easy for individuals to access basic healthcare services.
- Specialized Hospitals: Specialized hospitals in Mecca provide top-notch care in various medical fields, including cardiology, oncology, and pediatrics.
- Public Health Initiatives: The government of Saudi Arabia actively promotes public health through awareness campaigns, vaccinations, and preventive measures.
- Health Insurance: The majority of residents in Mecca have access to health insurance, which covers a wide range of medical expenses.
- Telemedicine Services: In response to modern needs, Mecca’s healthcare system incorporates telemedicine services, allowing remote consultations with healthcare professionals.
- Efficient Electronic Health Records (EHR): Electronic Health Records are widely used in Mecca’s healthcare system, ensuring seamless patient information management.
- Patient Education: There is a focus on patient education to empower individuals with knowledge about their health and promote healthy lifestyles.
- Pharmaceutical Services: Mecca offers easy access to pharmacies, ensuring the availability of prescribed medications and over-the-counter drugs.
SafetyWing Insurance is a cutting-edge travel insurance option crafted with the needs of adventurers, nomads, and remote professionals in mind. Whether you’re embarking on a year-long adventure, exploring new territories for work, or jetting off for business purposes, SafetyWing provides an all-encompassing coverage package to ensure your safety and peace of mind throughout your voyage.
Here are just a few reasons why you should Try SafetyWing Insurance for your next trip:
- Global Coverage: SafetyWing insurance covers you anywhere in the world, including countries that many other insurance companies exclude.
- Affordable: SafetyWing offers affordable, more cost-effective insurance options than many other travel insurance plans.
- Easy to Use: With SafetyWing, you can sign up, manage your policy, and file claims all from the comfort of your phone or computer.
- Wide Range of Coverage: SafetyWing offers coverage for a variety of events, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, lost or stolen property, and more.
- 24/7 Support: SafetyWing provides 24/7 support to its customers, so you can get help when you need it, no matter where you are in the world.
We suggest you also have it, especially if you live as an expat and digital nomad in Mecca Saudi Arabia.
We always use SafetyWing for international travel insurance and medical concerns. They start at $45 a month!
Table of Cost of Healthcare in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Cost of Healthcare in Mecca Saudi Arabia if you don’t have insurance and aren’t a citizen or resident of Mecca Saudi Arabia:
|Cost of Healthcare in Mecca (Makkah), Saudi Arabia||Cost in USD ($)||Cost in SAR (﷼)|
|Doctor’s Visit (General Practitioner)||$19.28 – $48.20||72.28 – 180.25 ﷼|
|Specialist Visit||$48.20 – $96.39||180.25 – 361.46 ﷼|
|Prescription Medications (Generic)||Varies||Varies|
|Prescription Medications (Brand Name)||Varies||Varies|
|Dental Cleaning||$28.92 – $57.83||108.05 – 216.87 ﷼|
|Dental Filling||$48.20 – $96.39||180.25 – 361.46 ﷼|
|Eye Exam||$28.92 – $48.20||108.05 – 180.25 ﷼|
|Glasses (Basic)||$96.39 – $192.78||361.46 – 722.03 ﷼|
|Glasses (Designer)||$192.78 – $481.95||722.03 – 906.64 ﷼|
|Emergency Room Visit||$96.39 – $288.36||361.46 – 1,086.10 ﷼|
|Hospital Stay (Per Day)||$192.78 – $963.90||722.03 – 3,632.62 ﷼|
|Health Insurance (Individual)||$40.50 – $270||151.20 – 1,012.50 ﷼|
This table is also for someone without Health insurance; the prices will be lower if you do.
For reliable information on healthcare in Mecca Saudi Arabia, you can refer to the following official sources:
- Healthcare System Overview: Official Source: Ministry of Health (MOH) Saudi Arabia
- Health Insurance: Official Source: Cooperative Health Insurance Council (CHIC)
- WHO World Health Organization for Saudi Arabia: Official Source: WHO – Saudi Arabia
Cost of Taxes in Mecca, Saudi Arabia by Percentage
Here is in-depth information for the cost of Taxes in Mecca, Saudi Arabia for each type of Tax and make sure to contact a local Tax expert in Saudi Arabia For more Information:
Individual Income Tax in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Tax Type: Individual Income Tax
- Tax Rate: 0%
- Important Information:
- There is no personal income tax charged in Saudi Arabia. All individual income is tax free.
Value Added Tax (VAT) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Tax Type: Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Tax Rate: 15%
- Important Information:
- VAT introduced in 2018 at standard rate of 15% on goods and services.
- Essentials like food, healthcare, and education are exempt.
- VAT collected by businesses and paid to government.
Corporate Income Tax in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Tax Type: Corporate Income Tax
- Tax Rate: 20%
- Important Information:
- Standard corporate income tax rate of 20% for most companies.
- Higher rate of 85% applies to natural gas production.
- Tax incentives lower rates for certain sectors.
Expat Levy in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Tax Type: Expat Levy
- Tax Rate: 100 – 200 SAR per month
- Important Information:
- Monthly fee charged for each expatriate worker since 2017.
- Ranges from 100 SAR for low-income workers to 200 SAR for high-income.
- Collected by employers and remitted to government.
Customs Duties in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Tax Type: Customs Duties
- Tax Rate: 5% – 25%
- Important Information:
- Import duties applied on goods brought into Saudi Arabia.
- Rates vary from 5% to 25% depending on the product type.
- Higher duties for cars, tobacco, and other luxury goods.
Table of Tax Rates in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
|Tax Type in Mecca, Saudi Arabia||Tax Rate in Mecca, Saudi Arabia|
|Individual Income Tax||0%|
|Value Added Tax (VAT)||15%|
|Corporate Income Tax||20%|
|Expat Levy||100 – 200 SAR per month|
|Customs Duties||5% – 25%|
Main FAQS Section About The Cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
What is the monthly cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia on average, is around $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month.
What is the Cost Of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia vs. the USA?
The Cost Of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is around 70% cheaper than living in New York City, USA, and the average monthly Cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month in Mecca Saudi Arabia vs $5,500 to $10,398 per month living in New York City, United States.
What is the Cost of Accommodation in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The Cost of Accommodation in Mecca Saudi Arabia costs around $200 – $3,500 Per month from a simple studio to a Luxury 3+ bedroom apartment.
When is the best time of year to visit Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The Best Time to Visit Mecca Saudi Arabia is From December To June.
What is the Cost of Utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The Cost of Utilities in Mecca Saudi Arabia cost around $90 – $250 per month, depending on your energy consumption!
What is the Cost of Food in Mecca Saudi Arabia vs the USA?
Food in Mecca Saudi Arabia can cost you around $220 if you get groceries to cook and local food and up to $1,000 if you dine out frequently and have a Large family.
What is the Cost Of Rent in Mecca Saudi Arabia vs. the USA?
Rent prices are 77% lower in Mecca Saudi Arabia than in New York City.
Studio Apartment: 200 – $1,000
1 Bedroom Apartment: $400 – $1,500
2 Bedroom Apartment: $560 – $2,000
3 Bedroom Apartment: $1,070 – $2,500
What is the average cost of Rent In Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The Average cost of rent in Mecca Saudi Arabia is around $200 to $4,000 Per Month in Mecca Saudi Arabia.
What is the Cost of Mobile Phone Plan and Internet Data In Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The Cost of Phone Data and internet from Mecca Saudi Arabia is around $20 to $80 per month.
What is the Average Cost of Food in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The average Cost of Food in Mecca Saudi Arabia costs around $220 – $500 per month for one person or a couple if you cook at home and eat local food with the exception of dining out a few times a month.
Is Mecca Saudi Arabia a safe place to live?
Is Mecca Saudi Arabia a safe place to live?
What are the Expenses for a Single Person in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The expenses for a Single Person in Mecca Saudi Arabia are from $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month for all expenses.
What is the average salary in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
The average monthly salary before taxes in Mecca Saudi Arabia is approximately: USD 1,600 – USD 5,333 (SAR 6,000 to SAR 20,000) Per month.
Is it expensive to live in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
Yes It can be expensive to Live in Mecca Saudi Arabia but you can be affordable if you know how to budget and it is cheaper than a lot of Countries you can expect to spend $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month in Mecca Saudi Arabia. The cost of living in Mecca Saudi Arabia is about 70% lower than in New York City.
What is a good salary to live in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
A great Salary to live on in Mecca Saudi Arabia is around $2,200 to $10,000 per month. This will cover all expenses and leave you with money you can spend on leisure activities.
How Much does it cost to live in Mecca Saudi Arabia?
On average, living in Mecca Saudi Arabia costs around $1,007.49 to $5,009.92 (SAR 3,523.64 to SAR 17,597.58) Per Month.
Conclusion and Final Budget Tips for the Cost of Living in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Embarking on a journey to Mecca is an extraordinary experience that demands careful planning and consideration. To ensure your time in this sacred city is both enriching and cost-effective, we’ve tailored some valuable tips and insights specifically for Mecca:
Prioritize Your Safety:
Safety is paramount while exploring Mecca. To enhance your security in this unique city:
- Stay Attentive to Your Surroundings: Mecca’s bustling streets can be overwhelming, so stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings to identify and address potential risks throughout your stay.
- Guard Your Belongings: Prevent theft by closely monitoring your personal items. Never leave them unattended in public areas to ensure they remain secure.
- Choose Reliable Transportation: Opt for licensed and reputable transportation services to guarantee safe and comfortable journeys within the city.
- Avoid Dim or Isolated Areas: Stick to well-lit and populated areas, especially after sunset, to minimize security concerns and ensure your safety.
- Exercise Caution with Strangers: When interacting with unfamiliar individuals, exercise caution and avoid sharing personal information to stay safe.
- Respect Local Norms: Familiarize yourself with Mecca’s local laws and customs to prevent unintentional misunderstandings and demonstrate respect for the local culture.
- Emergency Contact Information: Memorize these essential local emergency numbers:
- Emergency Services: 112
- Police: 999
- Ambulance: 997
- Fire Department: 998
Moderate Alcohol Consumption:
If you choose to consume alcohol, do so responsibly and in accordance with local regulations to ensure your safety and respect the customs of Mecca.
Invest in Travel Insurance:
Consider obtaining travel insurance, such as SafetyWing, to provide coverage for medical emergencies and safeguard your belongings during your stay for added peace of mind.
Maximize Your Experience on a Budget:
To make the most of your time in Mecca without breaking the bank, follow these budget-friendly tips:
- Explore Local Markets: Keep grocery costs in check while indulging in local flavors by shopping at Mecca’s vibrant local markets for fresh produce and affordable goods.
- Utilize Public Transportation: Save on commuting expenses and explore the city conveniently by making use of Mecca’s efficient public transportation system.
- Engage in Cultural Immersion: Immerse yourself in the local culture through free or low-cost activities such as visiting museums, attending festivals, and exploring historical sites.
- Cook at Home: Savor authentic Saudi Arabian cuisine without straining your budget by preparing your meals at home or dining at local eateries.
- Consider Shared Accommodations: Find affordable living spaces that align with your budget and preferences by exploring shared housing options or rental websites.
- Plan Excursions: Research and plan your excursions in advance to take advantage of discounts and special offers, allowing you to explore the region without overspending.
Finding Affordable Accommodations in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
Here’s how you can find budget-friendly accommodations in Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Start Early:
- Explore Different Neighborhoods: Look beyond the city center.
- Utilize Local Websites: Look Into Mecca Saudi Arabia’s local rental websites:
- Connect with Locals: Connect with local communities through social media groups and forums.
- Consider Room Sharing:
- Negotiate the Rent:
- Check Student Housing:
- Look for Short-Term Rentals: Short-term rentals and sublets can offer flexibility and affordability.
- Read Reviews:
Government and Travel Advisories for Mecca Saudi Arabia:
For your convenience and safety, here are important sources of government and travel advisories:
- Government of Saudi Arabia: Access a wide range of government services through the official Finnish government website: Saudi Arabia Government.
- Travel Information for Mecca Saudi Arabia – United States Government: Stay up-to-date with travel advisories from the U.S. Department of State: U.S. Travel Advice for Saudi Arabia.
- Travel Information for Mecca Saudi Arabia – United Kingdom Government: Refer to travel advice from the UK Government: UK Travel Advice for Saudi Arabia.
- Travel Information for Mecca Saudi Arabia – Australian Government: Get comprehensive travel advice from the Australian Government: Australia Smartraveller Advice for Saudi Arabia.
Related articles about Mecca Saudi Arabia:
- Monthly COST Of Living In Saudi Arabia 2023 [Expat Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In RIYADH Saudi Arabia 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In JEDDAH Saudi Arabia 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In DAMMAM Saudi Arabia 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In MEDINA Saudi Arabia 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST Of A Trip To Saudi Arabia 2024 [Trip Cost]
If you want to keep up with our travels, go ahead and follow us on our travel page on Instagram @onelifepassport! Comment below what else you would like to know/see about our experiences traveling the world! Also, check out our YouTube Channel!
Check out our recent blog posts:
- COST OF LIVING In CAPPADOCIA Turkey 2023 [Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In ISTANBUL Turkey 2023 [Istanbul Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In ANTALYA Turkey 2023 [Antalya Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In ANKARA Turkey 2023 [Ankara Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In TURKEY 2023 [Turkey Budget Guide]
- COST OF LIVING In IZMIR Turkey 2023 [Izmir Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY Cost Of Living in Doha Qatar 2023 (QATAR Travel Guide)
- COST OF LIVING In Sharjah UAE 2023 [Sharjah Budget Guide]
- MONTHLY COST Of Living In Dubai, UAE 2023 (DUBAI Budget Tips)
- COST OF LIVING In ABU DHABI UAE 2023 [ABU DHABI Budget]
- COST OF LIVING In UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 2023 [UAE Budget]
- TRANSPORTATION in DUBAI UAE 2023 [Dubai Public Transport]